Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

I didn't scold you..I said your statement was weak and that's my opinion. šŸ˜„ Yes it does work both ways.

I said his contribution gets erased. You said -

"No it doesn't...your argument is weak at best."

Yeah. That's negating ("no")...and scolding ("weak.")

Thanks, Teacher of the Forums, for telling me I needed a stronger argument! ;) aka opinion.

BigDlover

Not sure what youā€™re trying to achieve by this, especially with that border.
Iā€™m not American, I despise your president, and before this retheme BS, I was using my Twitter platform to scream to the high heavens in support of the BLM movement, until the DisTwitter activists I was supporting turned on me and chased me out for my love of the singing cartoon animal ride.
It's a joke - I didn't make it. I would have designed it better šŸ˜‚

CAlvares

Do they? Or does Disney management believe that they know better than the average guest? My guess is the latter is true.

Again, just a bunch of over-educated white men telling the dumb masses that spend thousands of dollars on vacation what is and isnā€™t offensive/racist.

Is it not possible that a group of people who find the ride and itā€™s origins problematic, hurtful and racist could come together and bring this to Disney attention, by starting a petition, sharing their views on Twitter and other forms of social media.

Which then gets the attention of the ā€œover-educated white menā€ (who probably already knew how bad this issue was considering how the movie was removed from circulation and how the ride itself had been modified a few times to shed the overtly racist elements) who then decides it needs to (finally) do something about it?

I donā€™t see how you can think that they are ā€œtelling the dumb massesā€ what is and isnā€™t offensive.

They are at best responding to a call to action that has been happening ever since the ride was created and at worst just following along with their plans to obtain higher profits by using an IP that can generate more interest.

Itā€™s interesting that you called the people making this call ā€œover-educatedā€œ and the ones who enjoy vacationing there ā€œdumb massesā€. Makes me wonder what youā€™d consider the right amount of education.

Brer Oswald

Exactly. On a similar note, I liken this to people who vehemently trash SeaWorld Orlando and the state's zoological parks, then turn a blind eye to the dolphins and other sea creatures at the Living Seas and argue it's OK because it's Disney and then basically hand over their paychecks to DAK while visiting the animals. Bottom line is - inconsistency. Other bottom line - people get offended by what they want to get offended by, or what's politically expedient at the moment; often what the bandwagon idea is.
Itā€™s the exact reason why cancel culture is so horrible. Instead of criticizing equally, we look for dirt on people and things we donā€™t like to damage them. Itā€™s unheal and obsessive.

We are trading hatred with more hatred. Fighting fire with fire just creates more fire.

orlandogal22

Oh, no.

I mistakenly called a series of books "a book" in the singular.

I just realize everything I have just posted in this thread is a lie. How could I have been so stupid?

What am I doing with my life? Does life even have meaning?

I'm disappearing.

goodbye

You wrote-
The underlying folktales got collected into the book, Song of the South. The movie had Uncle Remus tell the stories, but, not as part of his African heritage.

You said the folktales were collected into the BOOK - Song of the South. There was no book called Song of the South when this movie was made. Hence, my comment.

comics101

Is it not possible that a group of people who find the ride and itā€™s origins problematic, hurtful and racist could come together and bring this to Disney attention, by starting a petition, sharing their views on Twitter and other forms of social media.

Which then gets the attention of the ā€œover-educated white menā€ (who probably already knew how bad this issue was considering how the movie was removed from circulation and how the ride itself had been modified a few times to shed the overtly racist elements) who then decides it needs to (finally) do something about it?

I donā€™t see how you can think that they are ā€œtelling the dumb massesā€ what is and isnā€™t offensive.

They are at best responding to a call to action that has been happening ever since the ride was created and at worst just following along with their plans to obtain higher profits by using an IP that can generate more interest.

Itā€™s interesting that you called the people making this call ā€œover-educatedā€œ and the ones who enjoy vacationing there ā€œdumb massesā€. Makes me wonder what youā€™d consider the right amount of education.

Im willing to concede that the phrase ā€œover-educatedā€ may not be the best to describe my feelings, thatā€™s a fair point.
I still believe (actually, I know for a fact) that there is an air of superiority around much of current Disney management, and were they not leading the company they wouldnā€™t be caught dead in the parks

SirNim

TWDC missed an opportunity to collaborate with Mr. Julius Lester, who retold the original folk stories in a new and modern voice in the 1980s but sadly passed away a couple years ago. In his retelling, Lester provided additional context to the folk stories and placed them firmly into an oral tradition. With a press release, only a couple years ago, a collaboration with Lester to "enhance" the scenes and dialogue, maintaining the AA figures but with a Lester script rewrite and rerecord, could have proactively and preemptively turned the attraction into something just about everyone could have been proud of. While I mention the late Julius Lester, he is of course by no means the only person who would be up to this challenge.

Simply food for thought... what might have been.

BigDlover

A lot of the people that oppose the change have been dreaming up absurd conspiracies for why it's happening.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You wrote-
The underlying folktales got collected into the book, Song of the South. The movie had Uncle Remus tell the stories, but, not as part of his African heritage.

You said the folktales were collected into the BOOK - Song of the South. There was no book called Song of the South when this movie was made. Hence, my comment.

My apology then. I misunderstood what you were correcting. I stand corrected.

N2dru

No. Heā€™s not missing the point. Heā€™s saying the point is stupid.
Open your eyes. Problematic origins exist for nearly every piece of entertainment we consume. Super Mario is an Italian stereotype. Someone brought up Indiana Jonesā€™ racial depictions. Mickey and several other cartoon characters have done blackface and fought ā€œcannibalsā€. PokĆ©mon had Jynx in the original 151. But we let these slide because the companies did what they could to fix them, and the majority like these IPs.

With Splash, itā€™s deemed okay because nobody really cares about SotS. Barely anyoneā€™s watched it, and if they have, their opinion on it was made up long before they pressed play.

Itā€™s easy to hate on something you donā€™t care about. It makes you feel good because your ā€œin the rightā€ without making a huge effort to do anything morally just. Flip the tables. Something you love is called out, perhaps unfairly, and youā€™ll be defending it like we are. What a indifferent way of thinking.

Splash did just about everything it could to give an interpretation of the stories that wouldnā€™t offend people. It was an easy target for people to get their moral jerk offs.

Actually he is and so are you. I enjoy Splash Mountain as a thrill ride. Do I find some scenes offensive, I do. I know the history of the source material. I'm from Atlanta, grew up visiting the Wren's Nest (Joel Chandler Harris' home) google it btw and I have read his books. But because I have a different opinion on the matter its considered stupid. What an indifferent way of thinking.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Iā€™m not American, I despise your president, and before this retheme BS, I was using my Twitter platform to scream to the high heavens in support of the BLM movement, until the DisTwitter activists I was supporting turned on me and chased me out for my love of the singing cartoon animal ride.
Yes saving this theme park ride is a much better use of your twitter platform than BLM. In 40 years you can tell the grandkids how you dropped all that racial equality crap to save try and save a log flume from getting a new theme.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

In all sincerity, allies of a movement are supposed to listen and support. Not lead, and not pick fights. The first time you heard from them that SM was a problem, that was the time to ask a lot a questions and understand as best you can. And even if you didn't, to bow out of that area of 'the fight.'

comics101

A lot of the people that oppose the change have been dreaming up absurd conspiracies for why it's happening.

If I were attempting to dream up a conspiracy theory regarding this action, donā€™t you think Iā€™d have come up with something just a tad more interesting?

Brer Oswald

Yes saving this theme park ride is a much better use of your twitter platform than BLM. In 40 years you can tell the grandkids how you dropped all that racial equality crap to save try and save a log flume from getting a new theme.
It isnā€™t. I never said it was. The Disney Twitter activists went from supporting BLM to demanding Splash be rethemed. I was no longer welcome. They chased me off.

But if expect you to not properly read my post, just like my last one :)

Brer Oswald

Actually he is and so are you. I enjoy Splash Mountain as a thrill ride. Do I find some scenes offensive, I do. I know the history of the source material. I'm from Atlanta, grew up visiting the Wren's Nest (Joel Chandler Harris' home). But because I have a different opinion on the matter its considered stupid. What an indifferent way of thinking.
Did you read past the first sentence? Please read past the first sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom