Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morrow

The fact that so many are responding to the announcement of Splash Mountain’s closure with “OOH YES! BEIGNETS ARE COMING!” tells you everything you need to know about Disney’s current fan base. Wow.
The same vloggers and lifestylers that tag #zipadeedoodah and wear Splash t-shirts and quote the ride and film themselves saying every word are the ride are now turning around saying "It was racist and offensive the whole time and I'm glad it's leaving!" Not surprising at all in the era of virtue-signaling.

Nobody knew to be mad at the ride until the internet told them to be.

Chi84

Premium Member
I have to say I don't understand the love for the current Splash Mountain theming. I'm 65 years old and Song of the South was before my time - the characters in Splash always seemed outdated to me and not very charming or fun. If this provides a chance for Disney to update the theme and make it more relevant to the current generation, I'm all for it. I'm sure the kids will love to see Princess and the Frog come to life. As someone said earlier, the parks are theme parks, not museums - change is good.

MMFanCipher

Other than the animated sequences, the film is pretty mediocre and really not worth unburying. We wouldn’t even be talking about it if not for Splash Mountain. It’s very different from, say, Gone with the Wind, which is an excellent though deeply problematic movie.
But that is my point. Gone with the Wind is okay but Song of the South isn't? I don't understand that reasoning.

21stamps

Again, how many people who liked it actually rode the current ride or been to the parks? There are people out there that will jump in and do whatever because they want to fit in.

There’s also plenty of people who wouldn’t do an “angry face”, because they don’t want it to pop up on everyone’s newsfeed. 😂

Kate F

This thread in a nutshell:
EAC504E5-3D29-4864-A648-4C23B0846B86.jpeg

RSoxNo1

For me, this was always a matter of "when" not "if" a replacement would come to Splash Mountain. The origins/source material were not going to change. Even if the ride itself isn't inherently racist, the source material absolutely is. Our culture has shifted now to the point where efforts are being made to correct the mistakes of the past. Sacrificing a beloved theme park attraction is amongst the small "sacrifices" that fans can make.

As I've said somewhere in the previous 116 pages, they can't skimp on this. You have a long attraction with plenty of great space for incredible show scenes. I want to see an AA heavy attraction but also include layering where appropriate (a la Na'vi River Journey). I'd love to see a Dr. Facilier sequence that combines AA's and special effects.

It's ok to miss the original, but the replacement has to be better and that hasn't always been the case. This is the most iconic attraction to be replaced (apologies to Horizons and Imagination) and they simply can't skimp on this.

Last edited:

SirNim

There’s also plenty of people who wouldn’t do an “angry face”, because they don’t want it to pop up on everyone’s newsfeed. 😂
Facebook is not an anonymous platform. If someone were to react with an angry face... well... you know what that would mean about them as a person.

BlakeW39

Beautifully said!

The woke police have no rationale, they use bullying as a tactic to make change. You’re someone that is against splash mountain getting removed? You’re a racist. People literally writing that online and shaming people.

As a young black male, what do you think of white people that call others racist for opinions such as that?

I think that they're being ridiculous. It's silly to call someone racist because they like a Disney ride, which has no racial connotations whatsoever. My black family members loved the ride and think the rehaul is stupid (and by the way, they all love PatF AND my parents have a BLM sign in their front yard if that tells yoy anything).

disneygeek90

Again, how many people who liked it actually rode the current ride or been to the parks? There are people out there that will jump in and do whatever because they want to fit in.
The page has nearly 17 million followers. WDW (pre-covid) brought in 58 million visitors. Gotta think most people have been on the ride at least once...

Kate F

For me, this was always a matter of "when" not "if" a replacement would come to Splash Mountain. The origins/source material were not going to change. Even if the ride itself isn't inherently racist, the source material absolutely is. Our culture has shifted now to the point where efforts are being made to correct the mistakes of the past. Sacrificing a beloved theme park attraction is amongst the small "sacrifices" that white fans can make.

As I've said somewhere in the previous 116 pages, they can't skimp on this. You have a long attraction with plenty of great space for incredible show scenes. I want to see an AA heavy attraction but also include layering where appropriate (a la Na'vi River Journey). I'd love to see a Dr. Facilier sequence that combines AA's and special effects.

It's ok to miss the original, but the replacement has to be better and that hasn't always been the case. This is the most iconic attraction to be replaced (apologies to Horizons and Imagination) and they simply can't skimp on this.
The fact that they have to overlay an attraction and can’t build a decent length attraction nowadays from the ground up should say something to you.

Last edited:

tirian

For me, this was always a matter of "when" not "if" a replacement would come to Splash Mountain. The origins/source material were not going to change. Even if the ride itself isn't inherently racist, the source material absolutely is. Our culture has shifted now to the point where efforts are being made to correct the mistakes of the past. Sacrificing a beloved theme park attraction is amongst the small "sacrifices" that white fans can make.

How about the fans like me who aren’t white but still love the attraction? That’s a fairly sweeping generalization.

RCID

You mean the petition that received 20,000 signatures? Have you heard about the petition to save Splash Mountain that has garnered 41,000 signatures and counting?

Of the 60,000-ish guests that visit Magic Kingdom everyday and ride Splash Mountain, approximately how many do you believe get off the ride upset bc of the “racism” they saw on display? How many guests do you believe actually take offense to Splash Mountain?

This is a myth. There is no controversy. There is no problem with the attraction. There is nothing—NOTHING—offensive about Splash Mountain
Exactly. I’m quickly waking up and realizing, where is it going to end? What’s next? Mickey Mouse? Jungle Cruise? Cinderella’s castle? And who decides?

it’s gotten out of hand.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When I was a CM we got to do a backstage tour of Everest and they told us the Yeti will never get fixed because too many guests complained that the swipe force was too much. Can’t confirm how true that is but that’s what we were told

A bit of a mash up.

The force of the swipe was overtorquing parts of the Yeti's metalic skeleton/rig/pistons. That required a lot of expensive maintenance which ops eventually said 'no more' to. Imagineering refused to build a new one. If a new one was built, then it'd be super easy, barely an inconvenience to swap them. However, WDI doesn't want to pay for it, especially since a new one would be a lot more expensive both to do right, and to adhere to stricture safety protocol regarding a very heavy robot hanging over guests taking a swipe at them.

So, too much swipe force. Guests need protection if ever rebuilt.

N2dru

You mean the petition that received 20,000 signatures? Have you heard about the petition to save Splash Mountain that has garnered 41,000 signatures and counting?

Of the 60,000-ish guests that visit Magic Kingdom everyday and ride Splash Mountain, approximately how many do you believe get off the ride upset bc of the “racism” they saw on display? How many guests do you believe actually take offense to Splash Mountain?

This is a myth. There is no controversy. There is no problem with the attraction. There is nothing—NOTHING—offensive about Splash Mountain

You so miss the point. YOU may not find anything offensive about Splash Mountain but SOME people do...myself included. Your opinion doesn't invalidate someone else's.

RCID

The same vloggers and lifestylers that tag #zipadeedoodah and wear Splash t-shirts and quote the ride and film themselves saying every word are the ride are now turning around saying "It was racist and offensive the whole time and I'm glad it's leaving!" Not surprising at all in the era of virtue-signaling.

Nobody knew to be mad at the ride until the internet told them to be.
I was just going to say the virtue signaling is astounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom