Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlakeW39

For me, this was always a matter of "when" not "if" a replacement would come to Splash Mountain. The origins/source material were not going to change. Even if the ride itself isn't inherently racist, the source material absolutely is. Our culture has shifted now to the point where efforts are being made to correct the mistakes of the past. Sacrificing a beloved theme park attraction is amongst the small "sacrifices" that white fans can make.

As I've said somewhere in the previous 116 pages, they can't skimp on this. You have a long attraction with plenty of great space for incredible show scenes. I want to see an AA heavy attraction but also include layering where appropriate (a la Na'vi River Journey). I'd love to see a Dr. Facilier sequence that combines AA's and special effects.

It's ok to miss the original, but the replacement has to be better and that hasn't always been the case. This is the most iconic attraction to be replaced (apologies to Horizons and Imagination) and they simply can't skimp on this.

🙋🏽‍♂️ black fan of Splash Mountain here. This is not a sacrifice that needs to be made in any way, shape, or form, and has no direct or indirect benefit to anyone but PatF fans, ane even then they'll probably just be disappointed (that is if they didn't already love Splash Mountain, as almost all Disney fans do).

LittleBuford

But that is my point. Gone with the Wind is okay but Song of the South isn't? I don't understand that reasoning.

In terms of its portrayal of African Americans, Gone with the Wind is far more problematic than Song of the South, but it’s also an infinitely better film. That’s why HBO put it back up today with warnings and context:

rk03221

🙋🏽‍♂️ black fan of Splash Mountain here. This is not a sacrifice that needs to be made in any way, shape, or form, and has no direct or indirect benefit to anyone but PatF fans, ane even then they'll probably just be disappointed (that is if they didn't already love Splash Mountain, as almost all Disney fans do).

I think Disney was planning on re-theming it after the 50th anyways. It would explain why they came out with a decision so quick. Just my opinion though

davis_unoxx

I think that they're being ridiculous. It's silly to call someone racist because they like a Disney ride, which has no racial connotations whatsoever. My black family members loved the ride and think the rehaul is stupid (and by the way, they all love PatF AND my parents have a BLM sign in their front yard if that tells yoy anything).
Sounds like you and your family are rational people! It’s crazy how people have gone to bullying now with politics, that if you don’t agree with 100% of what you are saying you are racist or something like that.

Thanks for being an intellectual who celebrates their individualism! As a fellow young person I know how hard it is not to cave to this peer pressure. Stay strong!

Homemade Imagineering

Another thing that’s making me incredibly upset is the fact that Disney moves full steam ahead on a project like this, but doesn’t wait to do a retheme and update other attractions such as Journey Into Imagination with Figment which absolutely needs to be updated into a new attraction with the Dreamfinder. Heck, the main reason I joined the forum in August wasn’t just because I’m a huge Disney fan, but because I wanted to discuss the future of Figment when it was rumored that there would be an updated version of the original coming to Epcot. That all seems very unlikely now with everything going on unfortunately ☹️.

RCID

Another thing that’s making me incredibly upset is the fact that Disney moves full steam ahead on a project like this, but doesn’t wait to do a retheme and update other attractions such as Journey Into Imagination with Figment which absolutely needs to be updated into a new attraction with the Dreamfinder. Heck, the main reason I joined the forum in August wasn’t just because I’m a huge Disney fan, but because I wanted to discuss the future of Figment when it was rumored that there would be an updated version of the original coming to Epcot. That all seems very unlikely now with everything going on unfortunately ☹.
Start a petition...

General Mayhem

What I don't understand is, I remember vividly back in 2009 when PatF came out that the film had a large amount of controversy around it for the being "racist" itself for stereotypes and what not. I promise you in the next ten years PatF will be considered offensive and they will have to re-theme the ride again.

BigDlover

Another thing that’s making me incredibly upset is the fact that Disney moves full steam ahead on a project like this, but doesn’t wait to do a retheme and update other attractions such as Journey Into Imagination with Figment which absolutely needs to be updated into a new attraction with the Dreamfinder. Heck, the main reason I joined the forum in August wasn’t just because I’m a huge Disney fan, but because I wanted to discuss the future of Figment when it was rumored that there would be an updated version of the original coming to Epcot. That all seems very unlikely now with everything going on unfortunately ☹.
Re-theming Splash Mountain and updating Journey are two different stories though.

RCID

What I don't understand is, I remember vividly back in 2009 when PatF came out that the film had a large amount of controversy around it for the being "racist" itself for stereotypes and what not. I promise you in the next ten years PatF will be considered offensive and they will have to re-theme the ride again.
Exactly that’s what is surprising to me....PatF seems to be a bit problematic as well

BlakeW39

I think Disney was planning on re-theming it after the 50th anyways. It would explain why they came out with a decision so quick. Just my opinion though

Oh there's no question they've had this planned for a minute now. This does not negate the fact that this is a public relations stunt and not in any way whatsoever motivated creatively

Also the fact that this could be considered a "gift" for the 50th -- taking away their best classif ride -- mind-numbingly stupid. If they wanted to kill a classic, do so constructively... go for Jungle Cruise or hell, even WDW Pirates.

JustInTime

I personally believe the ride is not problematic but the origins of the ride has always been a dark cloud hanging over the parks. It’s always whispered about in the queues. And unless they remade a briar rabbit movie, that would never change. So it’s time. I will miss the HELL out of it but it is what it is.

RCID

Oh there's no question they've had this planned for a minute now. This does not negate the fact that this is a public relations stunt and not in any way whatsoever motivated creatively

Also the fact that this could be considered a "gift" for the 50th -- taking away their best classif ride -- mind-numbingly stupid. If they wanted to kill a classic, do so constructively... go for Jungle Cruise or hell, even WDW Pirates.
Yes please, dump WDW Pirates.

tirian

A bit of a mash up.

The force of the swipe was overtorquing parts of the Yeti's metalic skeleton/rig/pistons. That required a lot of expensive maintenance which ops eventually said 'no more' to. Imagineering refused to build a new one. If a new one was built, then it'd be super easy, barely an inconvenience to swap them. However, WDI doesn't want to pay for it, especially since a new one would be a lot more expensive both to do right, and to adhere to stricture safety protocol regarding a very heavy robot hanging over guests taking a swipe at them.

So, too much swipe force. Guests need protection if ever rebuilt.
But if the Yeti’s hand fell on people, it would be a realistic attack...

comics101

On the Facebook announcement, there's 15k likes, 9.9k loves, and 3.8k angry reactions. This is your "average" fan. The one that enjoys WDW but maybe isn't on the forums discussing in great length.

The general public knows about the announcement now, and, based on reactions the majority are on board. There's no way they pull back after today.

And that changes my point how?
Exactly. I’m quickly waking up and realizing, where is it going to end? What’s next? Mickey Mouse? Jungle Cruise? Cinderella’s castle? And who decides?

it’s gotten out of hand.

The Partner’s Statue? After all, Song of the South was produced by Walt. Should the man who made such a picture really be remembered as fondly as Walt is?

TinkerBelle8878

While I understand the reasoning behind this retheme, it seems like it won't fit in with Frontierland. Even less than using the existing theming. Why not just make an appropriate ride/attraction for Princess and the Frog instead of retheming a flume ride? I think there'd be alot of upset little ones wanting to see Tiana's ride and because of the height restrictions not being able to. I'd think something more like a Small Worldish boat ride would be a better Princess and the Frog vehicle. And maybe still use Splash Mountain as the theme but with a different IP that might fit it better. Or do Western River Expansion type theming for this finally? Going over the falls? Makes tons more sense and still would get rid of the problematic theming and give Tiana her own ride.

Rescue Ranger

A big problem here too, is mindset. People....this human race has to stop looking at everything with an alterior motive. In a negative light. Dissecting every last thing, even the most harmless innocent things, and turning it into something bad.

I get it, in today's world it's very hard, but we cannot be against everything and turn it into negativity. STOP being so offended by eveything. It's only a bad thing if you make it a bad thing. These attractions were not made nor meant to offend anyone.

I get it, I do. But I just feel we're living in such a negative over sensitive world now that is going to POP! Walt Disney World is supposed to be one of the few places you can go be happy and carefree. Sadly with each passing year, more and more guests(& some CMs) seem to just be angry, entitled or miserable. I dunno 😕

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom