Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

drod1985

I get it. It's fine. Concept art looks decent. Hopefully it's not Navi Screen Journey 2.0.

But I think I would've rather Tiana got her own new ride + restaurant and Splash get a Mickey/Minnie/friends re-theme. It would be Mickey ride overkill in Disneyland, but would fit better at WDW.

EricsBiscuit

There's a nuance to that: the South was the nation's economic engine through its earliest days, especially once the cotton gin was patented, though even beforehand the richest men at the Constitutional Convention were almost universally slaveholding plantation owners. By the 1850s, however, the Industrial Revolution was well underway in America, and the entrenched plantation interests of the South basically worked to keep the factories from spreading into their regions, a factor that ensured the North would have major infrastructure and supply advantages in the ensuing war, that much is true.

However, the South still stood to benefit from slavery in two ways: one was through the practice of filibusting, in which pro-slavery Americans traveled to other western hemisphere countries, typically places that had only recently shaken off Spanish colonial authority, and attempt coups to install pro-American governments, and from there legalize slavery in these countries to create, as it was called, a dreamed of "Empire of Cotton", that would stretch from the border of the Mason-Dixon line all the way down to South America. Thankfully, that vision never came to pass outside of the pro-slavery land-grab that was the Mexican War.

Still, even during the war the South's cotton nearly won it a major advantage, as being the world's main provider of affordable cotton almost drew Great Britain, among other nations, to side with the Confederacy and actively take up arms against the United States. One of the many tactical decisions behind the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation was to put it in writing that the war was now explicitly about slavery, a move that forced Britain and other European powers, having recently ended slavery within large tracts of their own empires, to pull back their potential support.
This is mostly untrue. The North beat the South by wide margins in everything from railroad mileage to value of exports. The only advantage the South has was in quantity of cotton and tobacco. The North still produces half the corn and the majority of the wheats and oats even though a smaller percent of the population was engaged in agriculture. The efficiency was due to mechanization. The fact was that the Northern economy was more efficient because it did not rely on slavery. The South was destroyed after the war. It is simply untrue that American wealth was built off slavery.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings;
It is an attribute to God Himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this:
That in the course of justice none of us
Should see salvation. We do pray for mercy,
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
To mitigate the justice of thy plea,
Which, if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant
there.
— Portia, in William Shakespeare

HansGruber

Easy choice for Disney. Probably costs peanuts to re-theme a ride while in-turn being able to market the park as containing a brand new ride.

However, it's just another example of pandering to this movement. The movie isn't a franchise and performed poorly at the box office. It also doesn't go along with the "Frontier" theme.

Baloo62

How can one simultaneously champion the oppressed and downtrodden while fully supporting a corporate enterprise that charges privileged prices so exorbitant that none of them can afford to participate? Could it be that you privately prefer to not associate with the very people for whom you publicly claim to have such compassion? Interesting.

note2001

So what music will they be using do you think? I really hope they come up with something new because "Going down the Bayou" wears on me like IASW.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Definitely! I don’t see an end to this craziness how about yourself?
Nope, Not this time. It’s pick a side now if you’re on the left. I’m remaining steadfast. They can call me , sellout, etc. all they want. It’s sickening. It’s too many good people in this world. I remember a time where the conservative and the liberal could argue their point and at the end of the day we were Americans. We have issues, but what country doesn’t. Now, since the disease has spread America is done.

rnese

You know that the HoP intro film was changed to address the horrors of slavery and its long lasting impact on our culture, right? I'm mean, you're a Disney fan posting in a WDW forum, so surely you remember that HoP was already changed to address systemic oppression because of our history of owning people becuase of the color of their skin, and how we need to keep fighting for equality and civil rights of all people, right?
I can't believe that woke people are ok with all those animatronics depicting "racist, white men" still standing up there, but far more offended by a rabbit and catchy toon.

NonsensicalThings

I fear this new ride will turn out low quality, but nonetheless, I’m interested. There’s a lot of potential in a Princess and The Frog themed ride.

J_Carioca

How? Jamaicans, Haitians and Dominicans are the same as African Americans. They where slaves brought from Africa. Just because they speak different language doesn't make them different. They are equally offended about this ride and what is happening in the U.S.

If you are actually truly interested, you can do a quick google on the history and ethnic makeup of the two countries and it will explain how Haitians and Dominicans are NOT the same. It has nothing to do with language. But I do think it's funny that you claim to know that Dominicans and Haitians are "equally offended about this ride" but you seem to actually know nothing about those two countries. Plus, I can assure you that Haitians have much bigger things to worry about than a ride at WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom