Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWmazprty

How? Jamaicans, Haitians and Dominicans are the same as African Americans. They where slaves brought from Africa. Just because they speak different language doesn't make them different. They are equally offended about this ride and what is happening in the U.S.

Again, no. African Americans are people of African descent that were born in America. Haitians were born in Haiti. Dominicans were born in the Dominican Republic, etc.....yes, all of African descent, but not the same. I live in the Dominican Republic and I can tell you that the Haitians and Dominicans do not think they are the same. Also, most of them have no idea about this whole Song of the South issue..many of them have never even heard of the movie.

RoysCabin

This is mostly untrue. The North beat the South by wide margins in everything from railroad mileage to value of exports. The only advantage the South has was in quantity of cotton and tobacco. The North still produces half the corn and the majority of the wheats and oats even though a smaller percent of the population was engaged in agriculture. The efficiency was due to mechanization. The fact was that the Northern economy was more efficient because it did not rely on slavery. The South was destroyed after the war. It is simply untrue that American wealth was built off slavery.
I'm not sure why you're ignoring some major aspects of the antebellum US, including the fact that slaves were present in the north for the founding and the construction of a great deal of it. In the decade before the war, cotton exports literally accounted for over half of US exports and income in foreign trade; additionally, the northern industrial machine you mention was built on slavery, itself, because the entire system was predicated on cultivating and harvesting raw materials (cotton) from the south and then shipping them to the refineries (factories) in the north, which built the northeast textile empire. I'm also not sure why you're ignoring the financial power generated by the slave trading industry, with its introduction after the Constitution's banning of the international slave trade in the early 1800s; there was no greater commodity in terms of sheer monetary value at that point in US history than black bodies, that's in the historical record.

Highly, highly recommend the book The Half Has Never Been Told for more detail on this, it's fantastic. Here's an interview with its author: https://www.nhpr.org/post/without-slavery-would-us-be-leading-economic-power#stream/0

denyuntilcaught

No, you're teaching Marxist propaganda. Repackaged for a new generation of gullible minds, but it's the same old nonsense.

Please explain how addressing history from multiple POVs instead of just the "master narrative" is Marxist propaganda?

Or are we just throwing around terms here that only illustrate the posters' clear lack of understanding.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I literally went back and re-watched it (in segments) on YouTube today just to make sure my recollection of it wasn't off. I heard so many people saying, "The movie isn't racist!" and "Have you even SEEN the movie?" that I figured maybe I had misremembered.
I hadn't misremembered.
What’s your opinion about it?

Parker in NYC

I'm not sure why you're ignoring some major aspects of the antebellum US, including the fact that slaves were present in the north for the founding and the construction of a great deal of it. In the decade before the war, cotton exports literally accounted for over half of US exports and income in foreign trade; additionally, the northern industrial machine you mention was build on slavery, because the entire system was predicated on cultivating and harvesting raw materials (cotton) from the south and then shipping them to the refineries (factories) in the north, which built the northeast textile empire. I'm also not sure why you're ignoring the financial power generated by the slave trading industry, with its introduction after the Constitution's banning of the international slave trade in the early 1800s; there was no greater commodity in terms of sheer monetary value at that point in US history than black bodies, that's in the historical record.

Highly, highly recommend the book The Half Has Never Been Told for more detail on this, it's fantastic. Here's an interview with its author: https://www.nhpr.org/post/without-slavery-would-us-be-leading-economic-power#stream/0

You provided a public radio link. That doesn't bode well with certain folk.

UNCgolf

What history has been "erased?"

I said before that I'm a US history teacher, and I'm happy to say that we actually get more in-depth on a lot of previously under-discussed aspects of that history now than we did when I was in high school. Looking through my textbooks and sources, at least here in New Jersey, I can pretty safely tell you that nothing's been "erased"; if anything, the books have only gotten more complex and in-depth.

That's a big part of the problem. A lot (most?) people aren't really interested in history to begin with, and they basically just rely on whatever they learned in K-12 school. And what most people learned in history classes in K-12 was, at best, only part of the story, and at worst, factually inaccurate (I'd even go so far as to call some of it outright lies). But people cling to that and aren't really willing to listen to anything that contradicts what they learned as a child.

As you said, it seems to be much better now than it was even 15-20 years ago, but I'm sure it still has a long way to go, especially in certain areas of the country.

davis_unoxx

Nope, Not this time. It’s pick a side now if you’re on the left. I’m remaining steadfast. They can call me ****, sellout, etc. all they want. It’s sickening. It’s too many good people in this world. I remember a time where the conservative and the liberal could argue their point and at the end of the day we were Americans. We have issues, but what country doesn’t. Now, since the disease has spread America is done.
Yah it is sad, I’m 19 but I feel like I grew up in two different worlds. The first part of my life we could recognize the wrong things we’ve done in history, but also appreciate the contributions we’ve made.

My grandfathers who are no longer alive, but fought during WWII would be ashamed what this country has become. Maybe it’s good they didn’t live to see this

prfctlyximprct

They had a bunch of decommissioned animal animatronics laying around after Disneyland closed the show America Sings. Imagineer Tony Baxter proposed taking those animatronics and building a log flume attraction (then called The Zip a Dee River Run) around the music of Song of the South—while the movie was controversial, Zip a Dee Doo Dah has always been a hit among the public. Michael Eisner brought his son, Breck, to work one day and when Breck came across the Splash Mountain model, he loved it. The rest as the say is history.

^^At least, that’s the legend behind the ride, anyway. @marni1971 can correct the record if I’m wrong.
Thank you! So curious if it was controversial at opening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom