Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimesting

You think Disney would be putting PatF front and center if they didn't have the data to show that would be profitable?

At MK, Tiana got her own M&G space. She's the first character of HEA. She's featured in the castle show. The paddle boat became a Tiana character event. She's got her own restaurant on the cruise ship. Dr. Facilier is always part of every group of villains.

There's thriving market for Tiana and Facilier.
To answer your question: Disney doesn’t always do the best decision making. Journey Into Imagination. The original California Adventure. Leaving a bunch of pads open at EPCOT for 40 years. Taking out any evening light parade at MK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I support this change, but I think they've done a disservice to the Princess and the Frog movie by setting this "after the final kiss". How will they build up the fear of the drop if they don't even have Dr Facilier and his spirits to taunt us? Perhaps they were afraid that would eventually be called out as improper too?

I want the props they're removing from this ride.

How do all the defeated villains from all the movies keep showing up in the parks and shows?

If the Sanderson Sisters can find a way to come back 'for one night', then surely Facilier can make one more deal with one of his friends on the other side.

the-reason14

I guess this makes sense, the Twitter mob wouldn’t just want a Princess and the Frog ride to be built unless they can take away something almost universally beloved in the process because, otherwise, they couldn’t lecture and bully people that just enjoyed a ride about a rabbit, a bear, and a fox.

The only thing is that while it is essentially a ride about a rabbit, a bear, and a fox, it was told by an enslaved Black man which if you really look at it, is extremely controversial.

davis_unoxx

Honestly would rather have them in charge of Disney vs the Bobs
1593113577911.png

TJinSF

The only thing is that while it is essentially a ride about a rabbit, a bear, and a fox, it was told by an enslaved Black man which if you really look at it, is extremely controversial.

A formerly enslaved black man, no? The weight of his antebellum surroundings are heavy in the film, and I don't argue that the character was truly free either, but it's hard to argue that many who supported the change weren't confused / misinformed / shallow / etc when this basic fact is rendered wrongly time and time again. (If I misunderstood you or am myself mistaken, I apologize.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This isn't really an accurate depiction of the Reconstruction era (nor is the movie, obviously) -- African Americans had more political power during Reconstruction than at any other time in American history up until the present. They held numerous state and local positions, as well as a US Senate seat and multiple seats in the House. It was when Reconstruction ended that white supremacy really reared its ugly head again (in terms of full control of political power, that is... there was plenty of white supremacy during Reconstruction).

Not that any of that is relevant to the movie or has anything to do with the ride.

Wonder how they lost all that power?

SoupBone

You think Disney would be putting PatF front and center if they didn't have the data to show that would be profitable?

At MK, Tiana got her own M&G space. She's the first character of HEA. She's featured in the castle show. The paddle boat became a Tiana character event. She's got her own restaurant on the cruise ship. Dr. Facilier is always part of every group of villains.

There's thriving market for Tiana and Facilier.

Which only reinforces my opinion that she should be getting a new attraction, regardless of how well this one might turn out. It will never be accepted as being truly hers, Lenge leve maelstrømmen!

Sundown

Respectfully, yes it would be....but it wasn't told by an enslaved black man. Uncle Remus was not an enslaved man.

That notion is inferred by people who want to create a racial issue, where none exists. Now, if the Disney movie said illustrated he was...it would be a different story of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom