Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So... What are the chances that we see a timeline similar to FEA... Close Oct 2020, reopen by June 2022 in time for summer of the 50th anniversary season? Or is planning not far along enough to start work that soon?

celluloid

You Know Randy Newman, the writer of the Princess and The Frog Songs?

Allow me to post the Lyrics of his Christmas in Capetown
n Jungletown
All the boogies in the street
Radios turned up very loud
Playin' Dancing Queen
They love our music
This English girl from the North somewhere
Is stayin' with me at my place
Drinkin' up all my beer
Talkin' about the poor n#ggers all the time
It's a real disgrace, she says
I tell her, Darling, don't talk about things
You don't understand
I tell her, Darling, don't talk about something
You don't know anything about
I tell her, Darling, if you don't like it here
Go back to your own miserable country
It's Christmas in Cape Town but it ain't the same
Oh, the boys on the beach are still blowin'
And the summer wind still kicks the clouds around
You know my little brother, babe
Well, he works out at the diamond mine
I drove him out there at five…

Club Cooloholic

They 100% bend to the media and change for those reasons.... This is for sure a result of the potential of negative press.... No other reason to change a ride that is considered the best of the best in Disney.
Really? You don't see how this ride is infinitely more promotable after a change?

Father: Want to ride Splash Mountain?
Daughter: What's it about?
Father: Oh Brer Rabbit, he has to escape a bear and fox!
Daughter: Who the heck is Brer Rabbit? Maybe.

After Ride Change

Father: Want to Ride (Whatever the name it...maybe it will still be Splash Mountain)
Daugher: What's it about?
Father: Its about the Princess and the Frog
Daughter: Lets do it!

DisneyGigi

Do you honestly not think that people unfamiliar with the IP don't do a quick google search while in line? Out of sheer curiosity of "hey who is this rabbit I don't remember this character?"

Wikipedia mentions the source material in the first sentence of the attractions page. A click on that and you're linked directly to the controversy.
I’m sorry but maybe people would have more fun whilst on vacation if they put their cellphone up and did not have to research whether or not if there is something to be offended about. It’s just stupid. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed I get to make it back there with my grandson now that he is tall enough to ride before they change it. He is very familiar with the movie. It is his favorite DVD currently. :)

gmajew

Premium Member
It is not even a question... That people think otherwise, is amazing.... They will ruin one of the best rides on property to make the woke mob happy....

I get the issues with the movie and why it is thought of the way it is. This though has nothing to do with the movie or anything else it is to make the extremes happy....

Just like removing any shows that have black face on it.. etc.... it is just to many extremes....

So I am guessing Jimmy Kimmel will be done at disney now.... they cannot keep him either.

Hockey89

Really? You don't see how this ride is infinitely more promotable after a change?

Father: Want to ride Splash Mountain?
Daughter: What's it about?
Father: Oh Brer Rabbit, he has to escape a bear and fox!
Daughter: Who the heck is Brer Rabbit? Maybe.

After Ride Change

Father: Want to Ride (Whatever the name it...maybe it will still be Splash Mountain)
Daugher: What's it about?
Father: Its about the Princess and the Frog
Daughter: Lets do it!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Try harder... Please I need more laughs....

lebeau

It is not even a question... That people think otherwise, is amazing.... They will ruin one of the best rides on property to make the woke mob happy....

Or to not remind tourists of America's painful history of slavery during their vacation. But feel free to stick with your "woke mob" angle if you want to hold on to your sense of entitlement.

Also, who is to say this won't be an improvement?

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
RIP Splash Mountain. I will mourn you properly.

1593108134427.png

jt04

I missed that entire era of Disney animation - Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Winnie the Pooh.

All I know, based on legacy, is that Princess and the Frog is widely considered the cream of the crop.

It is not one of Disney's big budget films like Lion King but I definitely consider it a must see for Disney animation fans. Just manage expectations. I found it better than the other movies you mention. Decent soundtrack by Randy Newman.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
So they want to avoid racist overtones of Song of the South by setting the new story in 1920s New Orleans Mardi Gras when racist Mardi Gras groups were still a thing? New Orleans didn't ban "white only" parades until the 1990s. I think Disney can get away with it because the ties to racism are tenuous and require a stretch of the imagination, not only Splash connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom