Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Po'Rich

As an African American, I want to thank all of those who complained without understanding that SPlash was the last big remnant of my ancestors stories in the world. This SERIOUSLY does wonders to the black community....This is an absolute joke. I am beyond disappointed..My all time favorite attraction, the one that made me feel close to My heritage, My stories.

Thanks, Disney.
This was my thought (and I'm not an African-American), but the stories behind Splash Mountain were based African-American folk stories. Now, we have a ride based on a story by a white woman that has been adapted to include African Americans.

Parker in NYC

But it won't be a new attraction... same ride system, just new theming, sets, and paint. Is this really worth the $200+ million that it will require to design, build, and promote?? There will be very little ROI on this.

Oh, of course. I just want a new attraction, not an overlay.

jt04

The only reason anyone would know that it isn’t set on a plantation is knowing the film’s release date. Literally nothing else.

I should probably watch The Princess and the Frog at some point.

Yes you should. Seeing the iconic boat above the drop has convinced me they did the research. Likely will include Dr Facilier also. Fan favorite whenever Disney villains gather.

I'm very optimistic. 🎷🎹🎺🎶

_caleb

Uncle Remus wasn't a slave, nitwit. He was a sharecropper. Duh. Definition: a tenant farmer who gives a part of each crop as rent. He was a free man. Try not to paint everything you don't like with the same ignorant PC brush.

And Brer Rabbit was a character invented by blacks, whose tales were transcribed by Joel Chandler Harris, who invented Uncle Remus to related those tales. So what exactly makes Brer Rabbit OR Remus racist characters?
Not a fan of the name-calling, but I really appreciate the callback to the original folk stories, which a lot of people don't know. You may want to check your notes about the "freedom" of sharecropping, though.

noodles

This comment is so tone deaf it hurts. You're ignoring the reality that sharecropping was by-and-large and unfair practice that was designed to benefit plantation owners. Black Codes were used to greatly restrict the economic options for freed slaves. But sure, keep believing Uncle Remus was just so happy to be a sharecropper :rolleyes:
My father's white family was sharecroppers. I guess we should burn some buildings or something. In south Mississippi, you had thousands of white sharecroppers.

lebeau

But it won't be a new attraction... same ride system, just new theming, sets, and paint. Is this really worth the $200+ million that it will require to design, build, and promote?? There will be very little ROI on this.

This one is obviously not about ROI. It's about mitigating bad press.

PeoplemoverTTA

Yes. Especially with African American kids.

And...kids (as in all kids who love princesses and Disney)! Adding to your statement, not disagreeing at all. My daughter adores Tiana and will love this ride. As will my husband and I. Just because people didn't choose to think about the racist undertones of the ride doesn't mean they're not there. Some people don't have the ability to "turn off" societal representations about the oppression of their people. Who wants to be reminded of slavery in a theme park? (That's "theme park," not "museum".).

The Walt Disney Company is in the business of telling stories. This re-imagining will tell stories that are more inclusive of the guests who visit WDW and DL from across the world. Plus, they'll sell a lot more Tiana and princess merch in the gift shop than Brer Rabbit.

The snowflakes aren't the ones who want social change and better representation. They're the ones who get fired up about a change to a 31-year old theme park ride representing slavery. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom