Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Good to know that you think that is racist, because the cast didn't think so.
Society has changed. I don't begrudge anyone involved in the making of the movie at all. But when what society deems appropriate changes, than it means certain things either need to be viewed in context or not at all.

I hate retroactive outrage and the cancel culture, but this isn't that. This is adapting a theme park ride because of societal changes. This isn't the first time that's happened and it won't be the last.

The calls were for Disney to change the attraction and have more representation of non-white characters in the parks. They weren't cancelling Disney because Song of the South and Splash Mountain existed.

M:SpilotISTC12

Marni, I actually LIVE in Florida, and it’s currently 93 Degrees Farenheit/34 Degrees Celsius outside. It’s popular because IT’S A WAY TO COOL OFF. Some people may care about history and yada yada, but the average guest just wants to not be burning hot.
Exactly why CoP, Hall of Presidents and American Adventure need to go! People don't care they just use it for AC. Tear em down! More thrill! More Disney!

hopemax

As an African American, I want to thank all of those who complained without understanding that SPlash was the last big remnant of my ancestors stories in the world. This SERIOUSLY does wonders to the black community....This is an absolute joke. I am beyond disappointed..My all time favorite attraction, the one that made me feel close to My heritage, My stories.

Thanks, Disney.
Yeah, I don't know how retheming to a story developed by two older white guys based on another white guy's fairy tale really helps address the serious injustices and inequities within your community in a meaningful way. I'm sorry.

Especially, when I know that, despite these types of performative actions, they will continue to "import" labor to keep, especially Orlando's, wages suppressed below what they would be naturally, which has a real, and negative effect on the lives of people struggling with inequality. Which spills over to those people who don't work for Disney and live in the areas around the parks. I tell my DH, Disney is equal opportunity when it comes to who they are willing to exploit. All those articles about the actual living conditions of the theme park workers doesn't magically go away because Tiana has an attraction. This is the types of thing the people who are invested in keeping the systemic and structural barriers intact, are willing to cede, in order to keep the things that really matter: money and power. "Have Tiana, we can exploit and sell her just as well, if not better than the Brer characters."

But since I am a white person, I don't know if I am missing something. IMO, it feels like when people are upset about something huge but they can't find the words to fully express it, so it manifests itself as being upset with something more minor. Celebrating the minor victory, lasts for a moment, but all the underlying pain and frustration remains, festering because the real problem still isn't addressed.

So how does PatF fit into the theming of Frontierland?
Louisiana was part of that whole Louisiana Purchase thingy. An edge, yeah, but still part of what we associate with the American Frontier.

Parker in NYC

Not only that, unless you read the book, there is no way you see that movie's plantation scenes and know if its during slavery or not, They chose to not be explicit with this. And the implication is that Uncle Remus is just so darn happy to help those white folks as best he can and maybe even wistful for "old days".
In Princess and the Frog, I don't think anyone who views it sees Tiana's friend as anything more than a spoiled rich girl that is totally unaware of her privlege and the film is pretty explicit in how nothing is GIVEN to this young black girl trying to work her way up.

Oh, I agree entirely. My issue is with the film and the dialects in the attraction. But other than that, I just don't see reason to push Princess and the Frog into it. A movie, I might add, that I adore.

Kitchandro

I watched it for the first time a few years ago and a ways into the movie I thought, "alright this is no worse than Dumbo". Then it shifted. The movie is racist to the point where it wouldn't be released today or even 20 years ago. To say otherwise would be woefully ignorant.

Disagree, there is absolutely no insulting of black people in that entire film. There's no slander, there's no disrespect of black characters (certainly not based on their race) and Uncle Remus is clearly intended to be the films 'hero'.

People only claim it's racist because it is set shortly after the abolition of slavery and features a black man living around a plantation. So it makes people uncomfortable, but it's probably an accurate situation considering he's an old dude who I imagine didn't have anywhere he could go at that point in his life. And even if he was bitter about white people I doubt he would take it out on the kids, which it seems is what people wanted to see in a CHILDREN'S FILM.

Regardless, it's pretty irrelevant as Splash Mountain has almost no references to the film outside of the cartoon portions.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just here for the meltdowns.

Ya'll in Florida aren't ready, they changed Tower of Terror out here despite big fan push back. They've announced this, they aren't going to turn back the clock now.

It will still be an incredible attraction, with characters and music that is truly wonderful. Love love love it.
:jawdrop:

JT3000

e070e44d7ae623cb57ed410ac4dc4dc718e295d0.gifv

2020 just gets better and better. Unbelievable.

Incomudro

Well.. at least you can't say they're only paying lip service.

The problems with the film are undeniable, and the attraction is forever linked to the film even if it does exclude the problematic themes. I want to keep a level head about this... BUT I know that Imagineering will not hold themselves to the same standards as the original when re-doing this attraction. Get ready for Screen Mountain, folks.

I know some don't think Princess and the Frog is a thematic fit in Frontierland.. but it's no less of a fit than Song of the South was.

There are no problems with Song of the South.
None.
The only problems are in the heads of some people.
As for Splash Mountain - it doesn't have any imagery of the "problem" of Song of the South.
Splash deals exclusively with the cartoon characters.

Disneyfan1981

All the while, Stitch's Great Escape sits empty.

God I loved Alien Encounter. Had a ton of memories of going on with people for the first time and watching them more than the show. Stitch was such a letdown to the point I won't even go near it - I really hope this retheme for Splash is a good one. The only character I really liked from PatF was Dr. Facilier (still love friends on the other side) but since this takes place after the film I doubt he'll be in there.

TJinSF

I am not one who was calling for this change, and will miss the ride. I do understand some of the arguments made for this change, and appreciate many members of the general public contemplating an amusement park visit are not as interested in exploring the complexities of these issues than I am, as a historian of popular media. That said, aside from the specific discussion about the racial elements of the story, there are two general points I’ve seen several times that I think are especially silly.

First, I think that choosing not to take action in the face of complaints is absolutely not “keeping politics out of it.” Politics are in it now, and declining to take action would have been taking a side in the culture wars just as much as the decision that was ultimately made. Which side they should’ve come down on is a fair question: I would not have made the present choice. But while we’re in the middle of social movements calling for change, of course not making it is its own position.

Second, I think the suggestions that people calling for these changes, and according to some people liberals in general, are not generally Disney’s customers is at best misguided. In the past few years I have read hundreds, maybe thousands of complaints about the increasing expense of a Disney vacation: higher prices, aggressive add-ons, fewer sales, yada yada yada. Who do people think are paying these fees? In very broad strokes, the wealthy liberals in my circle are the ones who have a 7-10 day Disney trip with the whole extended family every few years. They won’t add a trip just for this, but they sure won’t be boycotting either.

Who are the people in my circle who are very angry, claiming they’ll never be back, etc? The one on a fixed income who was last at a Disney park when my mother graduated college in 1978, the middle class family in rural Michigan who have done maybe two or three weekends at the California parks and always talk about wanting to do more but can’t afford it, etc. I am not by any means arguing “all Ds are rich and all Rs are poor,” but in terms of broad societal trends, I think Disney has backed the right horse in terms of revenue. Disney trips are more a status symbol or rite of passage for many people than an expression of sincerely aligned values in many cases. Disney has 65 years of info on just who goes to the parks, when, why, etc. I don’t doubt that they considered it carefully in making this decision.

Last edited:

Herbie

What's funny is - and I don't know if this has been mentioned - the entire "interview" with Bob Weis is pretty much a sham, face-saving technique. It's all the right questions we have, sure... But the way they're addressed and phrased; you know they're trying to pretend as if this was just a natural evolution. Get everything out in the here and now so they can sidestep any backlash as development continues (or starts).

tfc3rid

I mean, this was eventually going top happen, right? It's understandable based on where we are right now as a society.

I hope the America Sings animatronics can remain and still be part of the musical storyline. This is as signature a signature attraction as Disney has and it really has to be done right. This can't be a rush job a la Frozen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom