Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
People don't care as much about signing a petition after they've won.

But there was that timeline they had prior to winning. And I could imagine the save splash peeps were sleeping too because they thought the idea of splash mountain changing was outlandish / unlikely.

Chi84

Premium Member
But there was that timeline they had prior to winning. And I could imagine the save splash peeps were sleeping too because they thought the idea of splash mountain changing was outlandish / unlikely.
Disney’s not counting signatures on petitions. They did what they wanted to do, maybe just a bit sooner than planned.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Disney’s not counting signatures on petitions. They did what they wanted to do, maybe just a bit sooner than planned.

Yeah I know, it was the ideal time for them. I still don't think it was the right move. Splash is a Disney parks icon and one of Tony Baxter's greatest achievements.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
What I find interesting is the overwhelming majority of this thread defends Disney's decision. Very vocally. When questioned they defend their position vigorously and attack the opposing position.

However when put to a vote on another thread with over 500 votes tallied. 70% are against this move.

Maybe there is a "Silent Majority" after all. Go Figure.

Smiley/OCD

For Toy Story Lasetter should be enough reason. The other Law enforcement and guns.
Big Thunder not only glorifies while simultaneously demonized the Gold Rushers, it also has the Indian Burial Ground and Ghost Locomotive backstory. It offends no matter what background!
BTMRR also has those canaries that were kept for flying into the mines to test the oxygen content...animal cruelty...you can't make this s**t up...

Smiley/OCD

I decided to take a photo of it on my last trip. I think it adds a vintage sort of charm to IASW, and gets an excuse imo, because everything on the attraction is paper mache and painted plywood. It was meant to look like a child’s art project.
I don't know how generic ceiling tiles painted black could resemble a child's art project, but hey, art IS subjective, so....

Homemade Imagineering

I don't know how generic ceiling tiles painted black could resemble a child's art project, but hey, art IS subjective, so....
I guess I worded it strangely. To put it simple, everything in the attraction is simple. This includes the set pieces, animatronics, props, and the ceiling itself. Therefore imo it gets an excuse, unlike modern attractions with unattractive ceilings,

MickeyLuv'r

I guess I worded it strangely. To put it simple, everything in the attraction is simple. This includes the set pieces, animatronics, props, and the ceiling itself. Therefore imo it gets an excuse, unlike modern attractions with unattractive ceilings,
Small world is largely the art of Mary Blair.
Ironically, she worked on Song of the South, plus Cinderella, the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. She earned a degree in illustration and later in fine art. She considered herself to be an artist, but was frequently employed as an illustrator.

She also did the art for many Golden Books.

Her art is certainly stylized. Specifically in the case of Small world, she was specifically aiming to represent complex cultures through simplistic visuals.

Little Green Men

Of course the petition against the removal of splash has more signatures, why would anyone else sign a petition for the removal after disney announced it was happening? It’s not the best way to judge who is for and against it imo.

Matt_Black

Of course the petition against the removal of splash has more signatures, why would anyone else sign a petition for the removal after disney announced it was happening? It’s not the best way to judge who is for and against it imo.

Besides, if we as a nation cared for the choice that got the most votes, the Hall Of Presidents would look a lot different right now, wouldn't it?

Homemade Imagineering

Small world is largely the art of Mary Blair.
Ironically, she worked on Song of the South, plus Cinderella, the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. She earned a degree in illustration and later in fine art. She considered herself to be an artist, but was frequently employed as an illustrator.

She also did the art for many Golden Books.

Her art is certainly stylized. Specifically in the case of Small world, she was specifically aiming to represent complex cultures through simplistic visuals.
This is exactly why I get so upset when people call the attraction racist. I get that it’s chock full of stereotypes, but the entire point of the attraction is to view the world from a very small child’s perspective. A small child isn’t familiar with the complexities of every single culture. They view them in a simplistic manner. The average guest just assumes it was built that way because Walt wanted to mock other cultures, but that to me is utterly ridiculous. I wish more could understand why decisions like this were made, and that the attraction doesn’t need to be changed😕

Flugell

This is exactly why I get so upset when people call the attraction racist. I get that it’s chock full of stereotypes, but the entire point of the attraction is to view the world from a very small child’s perspective. A small child isn’t familiar with the complexities of every single culture. They view them in a simplistic manner. The average guest just assumes it was built that way because Walt wanted to mock other cultures, but that to me is utterly ridiculous. I wish more could understand why decisions like this were made, and that the attraction doesn’t need to be changed😕
Apart from adding Wales, please! It is the only part of the main U.K. not represented. It is recognised as having the oldest language in Europe and has its own National dress, a fantastic flag and one of the finest anthems in the world!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿.

orlandogal22

Yeah. It was pretty much established to protect the interests of the slave-owning states.

Also - to your point - an interesting article. Food for thought. Not exactly a conservative publication. The author was also a fervent Hillary supporter.

Matt_Black

Also - to your point - an interesting article. Food for thought. Not exactly a conservative publication. The author was also a fervent Hillary supporter.

The problem with that article is that the author states that the College was established to avoid choosing the President via the Legislature, except that if no majority emerges there (which, prior to the birth of political parties in the nation, was the most likely outcome), it would get kicked up to the House of Representatives (and has, twice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom