Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Also, I feel like the conversation would have all made sense if I knew you were a woman before reading this post. I honestly just pictured you as MJ.

I often get assumed to be a “he” here.. even when my photo isn’t MJ. Not quite sure why.. at least your reason was a legit one. 😂

I’ll be various photos of MJ thru August, so I’ll probably get it even more often now. Lol

Magenta Panther

The "Magical Negro" is a racist trope created by white people:

Yes, I've read about that trope. Hmmm, Magical Negro, huh?

Then what would you call THIS guy?

facilier.jpg

21stamps

View attachment 479966

That poster literally labeled Louis Armstrong, Berry Gordy, and the Jacksons as “Uncle Toms”.- all men who broke..no, not broke, who shattered racial barriers and the latter who also made a career writing and singing so many songs about equality.

I think it’s fair to assume several of the posts are meant to be inflammatory, nothing more.

orlandogal22

That poster literally labeled Louis Armstrong, Berry Gordy, and the Jacksons as “Uncle Toms”.- all men who broke..no, not broke, who shattered racial barriers and the latter who made a career writing and singing so many songs about equality.

I think it’s fair to assume several of the posts are meant to be inflammatory, nothing more.

Plus, we never got a clear answer on the "Get a Job" / "Got a Job" rebuttal! o_O 🤪😂 I'm still trying to figure that one out! Ha!

Matt_Black

View attachment 479966

treasureplanet.jpg

They don't mean literally. Admittedly, in many instances the character in question does have powers, but that's incidental to their narrative purpose and why the trope is named thusly. Do you watch the Ironman Triathlon and say, "HEY! None of these guys are made of metal! I assume there have iron in there blood, but statistically within the ranges of normal human biology!"

thomas998

Even ignoring the slavery/ Reconstruction portions, the movie isn't even ABOUT Uncle Remus. His main narrative focus in the film is to make a little white kid feel better about himself. He doesn't have any goals of his own. That's a continuing trope in American fiction that has been often criticized.
What was the slavery portion of the movie, since it was set after the Civil War?

SilentWindODoom

I often get assumed to be a “he” here.. even when my photo isn’t MJ. Not quite sure why.. at least your reason was a legit one. 😂

I’ll be various photos of MJ thru August, so I’ll probably get it even more often now. Lol

I did notice someone get corrected from he to she, but I was looking at my phone while sitting outside of a rental place for a sec and it was hard to keep track of who said what.

Also saw the whole Job argument, and was pretty sure you were on the side trying to figure it out, which made it DOUBLY hilarious that most of our back and forth was me attempting to divine what the crap you were specifically talking about and getting nowhere until the end. :hilarious:

NO. That would have been the worst thing!! Replacing one stereotype with another.

Sadly, it's tough. No matter what her outcome, if she doesn't end up in a healthy straight relationship, some segments of people could blame it on her trauma, claiming she's broken because of it. It sucks that it can be seen as feeding into such stereotypes.

thomas998

I’ll start with Tiana, as it’s by far the lighter of the two subjects. In Disney’s ‘we’re going to right 2 wrongs with 1 movie!!’’ story, we meet an ambitious girl with a life long dream of opening a restaurant. Girl falls in love, has a chance to return to achieving that dream, the one she worked and sacrificed so much for.. but decided to choose a man instead. then, a happy ending because someone else’s magic righted it. Not exactly the 2 for 1 after all. Really just the same princess story as all the ones before.

If you are trying to go after Tiana in the Princess and the Frog you don't have to bother with attacking its patronizing portrayal of women, it is much easier to use the Woke Warrior methodology, Tiana is using cultural misappropriation by having a white hair style, or you can attack it as trying to make young black girl believe that they need to cover up their natural hair and adopt a white style to be successful or beautiful. Frankly of all the token princesses Disney has created from Pocahontas to Moana, Tiana is the one that appears to deviate the most from the racially realistic look to a more European look with only a change to the color of the skin. Yet they are going to use this to smooth over the ruffled feathers of African Americans that were picketing daily outside Splash Mountain. It makes me wonder what idiot inside Disney comes up with these brilliant plans.

21stamps

I did notice someone get corrected from he to she, but I was looking at my phone while sitting outside of a rental place for a sec and it was hard to keep track of who said what.

Also saw the whole Job argument, and was pretty sure you were on the side trying to figure it out, which made it DOUBLY hilarious that most of our back and forth was me attempting to divine what the crap you were specifically talking about and getting nowhere until the end. :hilarious:

Sadly, it's tough. No matter what her outcome, if she doesn't end up in a healthy straight relationship, some segments of people could blame it on her trauma, claiming she's broken because of it. It sucks that it can be seen as feeding into such stereotypes.

I still haven’t figured out the Jobs post 🤣

Re: Elsa .. she doesn’t need to end up without a love interest in her life, but she has plenty of time to figure that out, and she won’t need to be saved when it does happen. ;)

disneygeek90

I still haven’t figured out the Jobs post 🤣

Re: Elsa .. she doesn’t need to end up without a love interest in her life, but she has plenty of time to figure that out, and she won’t need to be saved when it does happen. ;)
She doesn’t need to, and she likely won’t, but that doesn’t mean I’m not shipping her with Honeymaren 😉

Brer Oswald

This is what the cesspool known as Twitter thinks of us:

Shawn has flip flopped about 20 times on this issue. He’s went from “disliking the live action segments but enjoying the animated segments”, to “hating the entire movie but being against Splash being rethemed”, to “still being against the retheme but calling for removal of Zipadeedoodah outside the ride” to finally “you’re racist if you want the ride to stay as it is”.

To say I’m disappointed and hurt about it is a bit of an understatement. I’ve tried to learn from him, to support him, to be his friend, to promote his stuff, to be an “ally” as he says. But to see him take this definitive stance that “you’re awful if you like the original ride”? Really dude?

He knows I can see it. He even made a jab about me wanting to end my life. Yeah, I’m not mentally well. I probably shouldn’t be spending time on Twitter, but you don’t know what’s wrong with me, or what’s happened to me.

But I can’t confront him about it for even disagreeing with him or feeling hurt by his words because he would try to end my life as I know it.

He’s right when he says we need more black voices in the community, cause a person as hate filled as that shouldn’t be the only one to represent a whole group of people. Combatting hate with hate only leads to more hate.

Matt_Black

Shawn has flip flopped about 20 times on this issue. He’s went from “disliking the live action segments but enjoying the animated segments”, to “hating the entire movie but being against Splash being rethemed”, to “still being against the retheme but calling for removal of Zipadeedoodah outside the ride” to finally “you’re racist if you want the ride to stay as it is”.

So, people shouldn't change their minds or opinions about anything ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom