Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

articos

It does look like the water cannon pointed towards boats right before they go up the second lift aren't as intense. Instead of just dumping a bucket-full of water on guests, it releases more of a mist than an actual deluge by the time it reaches the boats passing by. I think that's a good thing and the best of both worlds. The water cannon still functions but it just doesn't get guests soaked (the one pointed towards the bridge in front probably gets you wetter than the one on the side).

Uh oh... Though Splash has always been temperamental and prone to breaking down or stopping even when it was brand new (i've ridden MANY times, including when it was first opened and it has often broken down). Though I hope it's nothing major wrong with it at this point.

I think it was said that Big Thunder was down a lot yesterday as well (and Pirates I believe).
Thunder, on the other hand, should not be down this much after a rehab. It's a coaster.

MerlinTheGoat

Thunder, on the other hand, should not be down this much after a rehab. It's a coaster.
Was enough done in BTM's refurb to ensure it does function properly though? I heard when they started its refurb, they ended up finding far more structural and other serious issues than they were expecting that had to be corrected. I'm wondering whether they dealt with everything they needed to in the first place since the ride was in worse shape than they had thought.

jt04

I doubt Kalogridis had much if anything at all to do with this refurb. It was scheduled and had a budget approved before he became WDW president. All he had to do was not interfere (and he may not have been able to do much to interfere anyways).

Agree that this was planned years ago but they can only take so much off-line at a time. Priorities and budgets have to be carefully scheduled. It has been an amazing process watching them bring back the MK while still keeping all the plates spinning. So many challenges. Worthy of a book.

I suspect PPF is getting close to the front of the full refurb queue. Possibly when they install the interactive queue. A true refurb of Pan would include a new façade if I were running things. But that's just me.

Way to go TDO!!!

articos

Was enough done in BTM's refurb to ensure it does function properly though? I heard when they started its refurb, they ended up finding far more structural and other serious issues than they were expecting that had to be corrected. I'm wondering whether they dealt with everything they needed to in the first place since the ride was in worse shape than they had thought.
I don't know what's causing their problems, so I can't speak to the situation. If it reopened, it should have had enough done. But something is causing them to be down more than they should if it's mechanical. Might be guest error, though, or something that's been caused by the interactive installation, which would be my first guess.

jt04

Seriously. Splash got work last year and I am near 100% certain that much of what you see today was planned during that work. That is how they determine specifics of what needs to be done and gives them the ability to establish a budget.

It is not just a case of seeing a broken animatronic and ordering a servo. They have to determine much more exacting details. And the work this time is obviously much more comprehensive.

MerlinTheGoat

I would be very shocked if a queue overhaul of Peter Pan's Flight isn't in the works. It's an obvious guess given the closure of the bathrooms for new ones. Given how Disney is going queue crazy lately and how the facade clashes terribly with most of the rest of Fantasyland now, i'd say it inevitable. And i'd take a guess that the facade will probably get an overhaul too. A matter not of if but when. But the ride itself needs a serious overhaul as well.

BTW, was anything done to Splash's queue during this overhaul?

Genie of the Lamp

Well, ain't it a perfect zip a dee do dah day in the Brair Patch. This refurb is pretty good as show as you're born. Congrats to WDI on the refurb but I know the real judgement time will come in months down the road. But today, we shall celebrate the re birth of Splash and it's awesomeness. This is my favorite Tony Baxter attraction and he would be proud to see his work in prestine condition again. Any idea on when Mr. Blue Bird will be functioning again? My favs were the leaping fountains working again in the Laughing Place scene and of course the AA's on the Showboat Finale. The rockwork repainting, light effects,etc. should also get praise. Thanks @wdwmagic for the great on ride video and eventually look forward to riding it in this same condition soon.:)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Seriously. Splash got work last year and I am near 100% certain that much of what you see today was planned during that work. That is how they determine specifics of what needs to be done and gives them the ability to establish a budget.

It is not just a case of seeing a broken animatronic and ordering a servo. They have to determine much more exacting details. And the work this time is obviously much more comprehensive.
Splash didnt get a 2012 refurb, which was part of the problem.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/splash-mountain/refurbishments.htm

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

They used to keep parts available 24/7 for all AAs. They could be fixed immediately on failure, so it really was as simple as seeing a broken AA, dispatching maintenance, and they would dip into the AA part list and fix it.

MerlinTheGoat

Splash didnt get a 2012 refurb, which was part of the problem.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/splash-mountain/refurbishments.htm
^This. And when it went down for rehab in 2011, they didn't even address any show related issues. The 2011 closure was only done to add lap bars to the boats. It's good to FINALLY see Splash fully functional again after so many years of neglect!

They used to keep parts available 24/7 for all AAs. They could be fixed immediately on failure, so it really was as simple as seeing a broken AA, dispatching maintenance, and they would dip into the AA part list and fix it.
Well said. While it's wonderful to see that the refurb was a success, i'm still worried about the longer term. I hope they can keep the ride working just as well months from now.

SirLink

Didn't they sell all the parts to Garner and Holt though?

So the real question is why they shouldn't treat all refurbs ... ya know ... like this? I would love to get why they haven't fixed the concept of maintenance in TDO offices. I ... just wonder if this was a Burbank decision more so than a TDO decision.

Kiff

Now keep it like this! And go back and plus Space Mountain properly, and fix BTMs effects. And Pan.

Is it me or is the lift C show audio missing beyond the vultures? Just a minor item in the bigger mix I know.

Is there any way i can like this 10 or 20 more times?

I rode BTM and SM last night. Painful espically after seeing what they can do. HM was looking great as usual last night. Glad that splash got a proper refurb but get your butts over to BTM and get back to work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom