Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

Sped2424

I think everyone is really excited to see whats going to happen with splash I do wonder what they are doing to the que though.

Yes, it appears that the Splash Mountain rehab is heading in the right direction. BUT ...

A refurbishment is supposed to restore an attraction to original working condition. Disney doesn't deserve "credit" for picking up garbage; they don't deserve "credit" for keeping their attractions operational. Instead, they deserve criticism for letting Splash Mountain deteriorate as badly as it did.

Disney has performed several refurbishments in recent years. If, as you suggest, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain or the only "good" ones, that's still a failing grade. IMHO, every attraction should look and function like new after a refurbishment. Instead, we seem get a lot of attractions with ride elements non-functional or intentionally shut down after a refurbishment.

It used to be that anything less than a "good" refurbishment simply was unacceptable.

Maybe not credit, but definitely encouragement. Sure it should have been done a long time ago, but it's getting done now, you can't change what happened in the past, only encourage these kind of refurbishments for the future. Criticism of past actions only gets you so far.

Genie of the Lamp

If you go to Dirk Wallen's 2/11/13 WDW Photos Report on a certain website he posts good quality photos of many of the projects taking place at WDW right now including Splash Mountain pics. Tried to post link but came up with all asterick marks. I know it's a few days old but it's still relevant.

openendedsky

Checked out splash mountain yesterday and part of the bottom of the flume after the big drop was curtained off and there were welders present.

bw0sbbq.jpg

djkidkaz

Checked out splash mountain yesterday and part of the bottom of the flume after the big drop was curtained off and there were welders present.

bw0sbbq.jpg

Can someone explain these yellow plastic tarps to me? I see these in random spots on the mine train construction as well and have been wondering why some sections use tarp and others use the bright colored plastic. Whats the reason / difference?

openendedsky

Can someone explain these yellow plastic tarps to me? I see these in random spots on the mine train construction as well and have been wondering why some sections use tarp and others use the bright colored plastic. Whats the reason / difference?
Possibly to contain any possible debris from welding, but obviously I'm not very sure on that at all.

rael ramone

Yes, it appears that the Splash Mountain rehab is heading in the right direction. BUT ...

A refurbishment is supposed to restore an attraction to original working condition. Disney doesn't deserve "credit" for picking up garbage; they don't deserve "credit" for keeping their attractions operational. Instead, they deserve criticism for letting Splash Mountain deteriorate as badly as it did.

Disney has performed several refurbishments in recent years. If, as you suggest, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain or the only "good" ones, that's still a failing grade. IMHO, every attraction should look and function like new after a refurbishment. Instead, we seem get a lot of attractions with ride elements non-functional or intentionally shut down after a refurbishment.

It used to be that anything less than a "good" refurbishment simply was unacceptable.

Whatever elements get fixed will probably just be set aside for the AAA+ mode of operation (aka - whenever one of the suits rides it).

wsmith1978

Those are weld curtains, designed to protect onlookers' eyes from the intense brightness of the welding flash.

PeterAlt

I'm still perplexed over all these maintainence issues. I would have never though several years back that well-maintained but never updated attractions would actually be better than today's status quo of barely maintained but with few and seemingless out of place updates.

A book I read many years ago about the Eisner-Wells makeover of the company mentioned that Eisner ordered a review of all the planned rehab projects. He said that if those rehab budgets were INCREASED a notch, they could actually fit in improvements to the original attractions. The rationale was that these improvements would be a good reason for people to come back because they would be curious how they're beloved attractions were made better. So, they studied what could be done to improve everything and what the additional costs were. Those upgrades that were within reason for something guests would notice were approved. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these upgrades actually made it to WDW, but you can see it all over DL.

I'm just mentioning this bit from the book to show how times have changed. The discussion back then was how much to spend on top of a regular full-rehab budget on new things, while today's conversation is about how much of an attraction's disrepair is acceptable...

Paul jr

It's to prevent the people around (Guests, Cast and workers) to be eyes injured by the ''flash'' produced by the electric arc of the welding. Why they dont use a opaque tarp? IDK, maybe the yellow one is more fire resistant, because it's desinged for welding works.

hoke2007

This rehab seems to be pretty extensive. I am hopeful that the interior show scenes got the same TLC that the outside appears to have received.

Alektronic

I'm still perplexed over all these maintainence issues. I would have never though several years back that well-maintained but never updated attractions would actually be better than today's status quo of barely maintained but with few and seemingless out of place updates.

A book I read many years ago about the Eisner-Wells makeover of the company mentioned that Eisner ordered a review of all the planned rehab projects. He said that if those rehab budgets were INCREASED a notch, they could actually fit in improvements to the original attractions. The rationale was that these improvements would be a good reason for people to come back because they would be curious how they're beloved attractions were made better. So, they studied what could be done to improve everything and what the additional costs were. Those upgrades that were within reason for something guests would notice were approved. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these upgrades actually made it to WDW, but you can see it all over DL.

I'm just mentioning this bit from the book to show how times have changed. The discussion back then was how much to spend on top of a regular full-rehab budget on new things, while today's conversation is about how much of an attraction's disrepair is acceptable...

A big problem is that the WDW Maintenance dept that continually works on and maintains it doesn't get involved with the refurbs, it is planned and funded by a different budget and the only input is from management who is worried about saving money. The CM's who actually work there and know what the problems really are and what needs to be corrected are just disregarded and ignored. They are handled by outside contractors and sub contractors who have never worked on attractions before and a lot of them do a crummy job and don't care about it, because soon as they are done, they are gone to another job. And you when bring up problems to management they just shrug their shoulders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom