Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

jlsHouston

Rock fell on October 18. Ride went down shortly after for the rest of the day and flume was drained.
Tarps were up when the ride re-opened on the 19th.

WOW:eek: .. I am becoming more and more without speech on this one.. when I see tarps up just makes me think of FEMA failures and I can't even believe there is a tarp up at Splash Mountain 30 days later..

djlaosc

What's wrong with Journey of the Little Mermaid?

I think I've read some things about the animatronics - I'm sure a comment I saw on Facebook mentioned "a disco Ursula and two disco castles" (although I guess that one of the castles could have been Cinderella's when the lights didn't fully come on)

jlsHouston

Here is a picture of the entire chunck of concrete that fell off.

It is under close investigation to try to establish the exact cause that made it chip off:

839181991.jpg
Come on.. you are making me laugh this is not the size of what fell off is it??

The Empress Lilly

Come on.. you are making me laugh this is not the size of what fell off is it??
It was a joke. :)

I'm all for a good round of Disney bashing, but I have to keep a sense of perspective or I become one of those people who spends his time foaming and yelling about stuff on the internets to other weirdo's. As long as we can have a good laugh at ourselves, there is still some sense of sanity! ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am in the same boat as you, had things been this bad when we bought DVC, I would not have made the purchase. I have been thinking about renting my points.

I have been considering renting as well. Feels strange to allow someone to rent my points though.

jlsHouston

It was a joke. :)

I'm all for a good round of Disney bashing, but I have to keep a sense of perspective or I become one of those people who spends his time foaming and yelling about stuff on the internets to other weirdo's. As long as we can have a good laugh at ourselves, there is still some sense of sanity! ;)

HAHAHA!

I must have read that post 10 times and I was OMG no way he is not serious this is like space shuttle potential disasters, then finally I was okay you can chalk this up to the chantix you are on making you extra dense this week and a very bad blond moment but you gotta make sure that is not the "chunk" of concrete causing all the problems. All the while I was totally grinning like a fool at the picture..

This is absolutely the best post with picture of all times, I wish it could win an award.. I am still smiling through the nicotine withdrawls my brain receptors are saying I am not having..:D

Scuttle

Maintenance is part of maintaining the park infrastructure. It's the cost of doing business and if maintenance suffers so that new attractions can be built it's bad business.

I would much rather a year and a half, Space Mountain in Disneyland type refurbishment. When fully functional Splash Mountain is arguably the best attraction on property. I don't think 20K Leagues Under the Sea was ever at that point at the end of it's life.

I agree, I want to see how Avatar and Carsland are coming along.

Also, the people referring to the "raining lift hill", are you referring to the lift hill right before the final drop?

I agree it is one of the best rides in the MK, but as you said when fully operational. When is a reasonable estimation when the last time all the effects have worked in Splash? How many years now has the jumping water been broke at laughing place(cavern scene) now? It must be going on 2-3 years. I think it's safe to say we will never see Splash like it once was in it's glory days of the 90's.

Having said that if they tore down Splash and expanded back into some of the backstage infrastructure it would solve the Frontierland capacity problem. I'd sacrifice Splash for 2 high capacity D-tickets (let the flaming begin for the last comment).

fw1987

I was there two weeks ago and the CM loading Splash said the tarps were put up because the CMs cook in that area in the summer and they were experimenting to see if it would make the loading/unloading area cooler to work in.

Not sure about the falling cement if it's actually true or not. Seems like most of that area is wood above the loading area. Has this been actually confirmed?

And yes, the ride shut down for lengthy periods of time twice just as we were about to load...

MerlinTheGoat

Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom is one of the best remaining Disney rides on earth IMO. To this day it remains a true E ticket when in proper show form. And when in proper condition it's one of the few Disneyland clones that ouclasses its original form in every aspect. I'd be sad to see it go, regardless of its questionable fit in Fronteirland. And suggesting that they should tear it down because it's "too expensive" is a horrible excuse to give a massively wealthy corporation like Disney.

At any rate I do not think we should be giving Disney any ideas by suggesting it should be removed. Remember that this is current Disney we're talking about. If removed there is an almost certainty that it would be replaced by something nowhere near as good, or nothing at all. I'd love to see the Western River Expedition happen at WDW, but I'm actually guessing there's already enough room to build it on existing land without tearing anything down. I'm also realistic and would venture an assumption to say that if it were built, it wouldn't be anywhere close to the original concept. And I certainly wouldn't be satisfied if they tore it down and replaced it with a couple of rides on the caliber of Little Mermaid. I'm sad to say that I think the days of intricate POTC/Splash/Horizons/SSE/Imagination/WoM type attractions are gone and probably won't be back (long large scale rides with elaborate physical sets and tons of advanced animatronics). I'd like to be wrong here of course but that sort of thing costs money (something current Disney is ever happy to take but never happy to spend).

I was there two weeks ago and the CM loading Splash said the tarps were put up because the CMs cook in that area in the summer and they were experimenting to see if it would make the loading/unloading area cooler to work in.

Not sure about the falling cement if it's actually true or not. Seems like most of that area is wood above the loading area. Has this been actually confirmed?

And yes, the ride shut down for lengthy periods of time twice just as we were about to load...
You were lied to, Disney would never want their cast members telling guests they're in danger of having rocks fall on their head. So of course it's going to be hushed up with a tale like that. It has been confirmed by numerous insiders here that a piece of the rockwork above fell and apparently landed somewhere in the loading area, that much is certain. The ride was closed, when it reopened the tarps were in place (which it's said won't be sufficient to stop a falling piece of the scenery, similar to the nets at AK).

There's a ton of rockwork hanging over the load/unload station. Here's an example (there's more even higher up overhanging the entire area)-
Day7MagicKingdom237.jpg

TP2000

They should have soon. I hope it's soon enough.

That's good news. Disneyland made a stunningly fast turnaround from the dark Pressler/Harriss years. The turnaround started in the winter of 2004, and about 15 months later in May, 2005 it was complete.

More importantly, Disneyland management in the decade since then hasn't retreated on that newly raised standard, and in many places they have raised it further. The result is that the Disneyland Resort today looks even better than it did for the 50th in 2005.

The same turnaround can happen at WDW. And it appears it can't happen soon enough.

Spike-in-Berlin

That's true.... but I forgot to mention all the AA's and the effects not working properly for about 4 years.

I did it the last time this spring, but I don't know the full roster of effects, only some of them, water cannon, bee hives, the water fountains. Colud someone tell me what effects are also existing but not working? It is the same with EE, if you don't know they exist, you don' t miss them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom