Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain Refurb?

RSoxNo1

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Thunder and Test Track will close in January. This leaves Splash to either not close or close much later in the year. Either way, it won't be pretty for that mountain.

How much downtime are they expecting for Thunder Mountain?

pumpkin7

i think in the case of the final scene, the birds just need replacing. i'm sure i read somewhere that they were used from another ride which has now closed? (ah, just checked this out, Disneyland uses old animatronics from America Sings.)
still, although on our last trip back in august 2010, not having ridden in many many years, we did notice the birds on the final scene slumped backwards, and a fish that is meant to jump out of the water, not jumping...

considering disney are meant to check these rides every morning, i don't think they're making a very good show of it. i can't believe some of the stuff that has been listed on here as down, and not just a one off, permanently! it's awful.

and there's nothing more frightening than an animatronic that isn't moving. it's creepy. it scares me so it must scare children lol.

and aww, look how happy they all are when they're working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gImy87sgils

lol.

NoChesterHester

So does anyone know when they would announce a refurb of this magnitude?

What "magnitude" are we even talking about here? Has anyone confirmed the scope we are talking about here.

If there was ever a queue that needed a next gen overly BTMRR is it. Anyone that has waited in those switchbacks in the busy months knows what I am talking about.

BigThunderMatt

Considering the fact that the upstairs queue is on the verge of collapse in some spots (indeed they've had to reinforce a section with a pole that runs through the second floor down by the cast restrooms in the station), along with a myriad of other things that need to be fixed/touched-up/repainted I would estimate it needs at least 4-6 months.

disneypearl

Considering the fact that the upstairs queue is on the verge of collapse in some spots (indeed they've had to reinforce a section with a pole that runs through the second floor down by the cast restrooms in the station), along with a myriad of other things that need to be fixed/touched-up/repainted I would estimate it needs at least 4-6 months.

Wow, well I hope it gets the attention it needs.

hpyhnt 1000

That's reassuring... :lookaroun:lookaroun

the-reason14

Cast members have their own bathroom inside thunder mt.!!! Learn something new everyday............Now that I think about it, I've never seen CM's using guest restrooms in any park, so I'm guessing they all have their own restrooms.

Thrill Seeker

Cast members have their own bathroom inside thunder mt.!!! Learn something new everyday............Now that I think about it, I've never seen CM's using guest restrooms in any park, so I'm guessing they all have their own restrooms.

That is correct. CMs are required to use offstage restrooms.

Thrill Seeker

Both Track and Thunder are expected to be down for about 6 months each. Splash, if/when it goes down, should only take 3 weeks to a month to get cleaned up. Thunder is expected to undergo some heavy renovations while Track is expected to undergo a theme change/overhaul featuring new cars and a new interactive queue.

Please note that this is all speculation and stuff I've overheard, none is actually inside information.

RSoxNo1

Both Track and Thunder are expected to be down for about 6 months each. Splash, if/when it goes down, should only take 3 weeks to a month to get cleaned up. Thunder is expected to undergo some heavy renovations while Track is expected to undergo a theme change/overhaul featuring new cars and a new interactive queue.

Please note that this is all speculation and stuff I've overheard, none is actually inside information.

Well there have been rumors about a length Thunder refurb for a while now (not as long as Jungle Cruise, but still). This doesn't surprise me at all, but it does surprise me that it can't be delayed a month so that both Splash and Thunder aren't down simultaneously.

Is it safe to assume that the refurbishment to Thunder wouldn't result in any substantial changes other than perhaps fixing things that were broken?

ToTBellHop

Well there have been rumors about a length Thunder refurb for a while now (not as long as Jungle Cruise, but still). This doesn't surprise me at all, but it does surprise me that it can't be delayed a month so that both Splash and Thunder aren't down simultaneously.

Is it safe to assume that the refurbishment to Thunder wouldn't result in any substantial changes other than perhaps fixing things that were broken?

I agree. If it needs a 6-month refurb, it will be closed during busy seasons regardless. Whether it is Jan-July or Feb-August makes little difference, except that the latter allows Splash to close in January.

Scuttle

For those of questioning the possibility of Test Track, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad all closing simultaneously, look no further than Disneyland. Right now Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, California Screamin' and ElecTRONica are closed for refurbishments. There will also be a few days when Space Mountain joins them to switch over to Ghost Galaxy.

I have no knowledge that the refurbishments are all going to happen simultaneously in Florida, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

No it wouldn't, but it sure is a good sign out of TDO. Maybe this is the turning point? Maybe they finally realized they can't let attractions to sit and deteriorate. I sure hope so. Either way it's a good sign out of TDO to basically say screw the complaints these attractions need maintenance ASAP and actually doing it. I sure hope this is a sign of more ride refurbs to come throughout the entire WDW resort.

RSoxNo1

How would we rank the attractions in most dire need of refurbishment (assuming no significant ride changes only fixing broken effects?)

Need of Refurbishment:
Expedition Everest
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Dinosaur
Jungle Cruise
It's Tough to be a Bug
MuppetVision 3D

Need of Overhaul (changes):
Peter Pan's Flight
Journey Into Imagination with Figment
The Great Movie Ride
Test Track
Carousel of Progress
Maelstrom
Fantasmic

Need of Replacement:
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Stitch's Great Escape
Captain EO
Circle of Life
Sounds Dangerous
Primeval Whirl

NX2I85

I like the idea of some massive refurbs. However I don't think it would be a good idea to do all that at once. I would hate to be an unsuspecting tourist, making my once-in-a-decade pilgrimage to WDW, paying full admission price in January and then looking at Wall City after I entered MK. Somebody might go all Griswold on Guest Relations. :p
Wally-World-Moose-Punch.jpg

fosse76

What I don't get is why Disney doesn't just fix things as they break. I would think it would be much better for guests if Disney closed an attraction for a couple of days to fix what is broken, rather than allow some things to remain broken and other things to keep breaking until it needs to be refrurbed for a few months. Obviously, some things might not be as important to fix as other things in the park, but it just seems a bit ridiculous that some things are put on hold until a refurb is scheduled.

And for what it's worth, when I rode Splash Mountain on Friday, the boat in the final scene was rocking again, though it looked like they removed an AA.

baymenxpac

How would we rank the attractions in most dire need of refurbishment (assuming no significant ride changes only fixing broken effects?)

Need of Refurbishment:
Expedition Everest
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Dinosaur
Jungle Cruise
It's Tough to be a Bug
MuppetVision 3D

Need of Overhaul (changes):
Peter Pan's Flight
Journey Into Imagination with Figment
The Great Movie Ride
Test Track
Carousel of Progress
Maelstrom
Fantasmic

Need of Replacement:
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Stitch's Great Escape
Captain EO
Circle of Life
Sounds Dangerous
Primeval Whirl

great order. my only change would be flip flopping JII and peter pan. peter pan holds enough charm for me that i still ride it every time i go and it holds up, most likely because of my nostalgia and good feelings associated with the ride. so admittedly, that might be a little skewed. but still.

JII is cringe worthy. my wife and i went on it this past trip just because after imagination's first refurb, i never trust the next time i walk in the park i'll be able to see figment. it was just a reminder of how much of a shell of its former self the pavilion really is.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What I don't get is why Disney doesn't just fix things as they break. I would think it would be much better for guests if Disney closed an attraction for a couple of days to fix what is broken, rather than allow some things to remain broken and other things to keep breaking until it needs to be refrurbed for a few months. Obviously, some things might not be as important to fix as other things in the park, but it just seems a bit ridiculous that some things are put on hold until a refurb is scheduled.

And for what it's worth, when I rode Splash Mountain on Friday, the boat in the final scene was rocking again, though it looked like they removed an AA.
It is not always that simple. Third shift only has X number of hours to fix problems between park closing and opening. If the repair time will exceed X, you have a problem.

Scuttle

great order. my only change would be flip flopping JII and peter pan. peter pan holds enough charm for me that i still ride it every time i go and it holds up, most likely because of my nostalgia and good feelings associated with the ride. so admittedly, that might be a little skewed. but still.

JII is cringe worthy. my wife and i went on it this past trip just because after imagination's first refurb, i never trust the next time i walk in the park i'll be able to see figment. it was just a reminder of how much of a shell of its former self the pavilion really is.

Yes it is a great order. I know Tim doesn't like PP, but I agree with you on JII. It is horrible. PP definetly still has some charm as long as you close your eyes going by the tin foil volcanoe, but JII is just hideous. I think it is hands down the worst moving attration at WDW. PP has something about it. It has a little of that "Disney Magic" and JII has zero.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom