Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain Refurb?

BigThunderMatt

How would we rank the attractions in most dire need of refurbishment (assuming no significant ride changes only fixing broken effects?)

Need of Refurbishment:
Expedition Everest
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Dinosaur
Jungle Cruise
It's Tough to be a Bug
MuppetVision 3D

While the yeti is a constant disappointment, the sad fact is that from a structural and aesthetic standpoint, Everest is still in pretty solid shape. There are many other attractions like Splash and Thunder, and actually Pirates as well, that have frequent show issues, look VERY bad, and just need a full makeover to get them in tip-top shape.

A lot of people would list the yeti as why Everest at the top but in the grand scheme of things there's a lot more wrong with other attractions on that list.

menamechris

While the yeti is a constant disappointment, the sad fact is that from a structural and aesthetic standpoint, Everest is still in pretty solid shape. There are many other attractions like Splash and Thunder, and actually Pirates as well, that have frequent show issues, look VERY bad, and just need a full makeover to get them in tip-top shape.

A lot of people would list the yeti as why Everest at the top but in the grand scheme of things there's a lot more wrong with other attractions on that list.

I have to agree with this. I have accepted that the yeti is like the Leaning Tower of Pisa - it's not getting fixed.

RSoxNo1

great order. my only change would be flip flopping JII and peter pan. peter pan holds enough charm for me that i still ride it every time i go and it holds up, most likely because of my nostalgia and good feelings associated with the ride. so admittedly, that might be a little skewed. but still.

JII is cringe worthy. my wife and i went on it this past trip just because after imagination's first refurb, i never trust the next time i walk in the park i'll be able to see figment. it was just a reminder of how much of a shell of its former self the pavilion really is.

Yes it is a great order. I know Tim doesn't like PP, but I agree with you on JII. It is horrible. PP definetly still has some charm as long as you close your eyes going by the tin foil volcanoe, but JII is just hideous. I think it is hands down the worst moving attration at WDW. PP has something about it. It has a little of that "Disney Magic" and JII has zero.

I should have clarified - that was more a list of attractions as I came up with them. I don't think that order is appropriate at all. If anything I would order them as follows:

Need of Refurbishment:
  1. Splash Mountain
  2. MuppetVision 3D
  3. Expedition Everest
  4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  5. Dinosaur
  6. It's Tough to be a Bug
  7. Jungle Cruise

Need of Overhaul (changes):
  1. The Great Movie Ride
  2. Journey Into Imagination with Figment
  3. Peter Pan's Flight
  4. Carousel of Progress
  5. Maelstrom
  6. Fantasmic
  7. Test Track

Need of Replacement:
  1. Sounds Dangerous
  2. Primeval Whirl
  3. Stitch's Great Escape
  4. Ellen's Energy Adventure
  5. Circle of Life
  6. Captain EO

Fable McCloud

Sprucing Up

I think they could spruce up BTM and SM with minimal guest upset if they either do them quickly together or do one then the other. Either of those options will work.

If they do one then the other then there will still be one major E ticket in the area. If they do them together and quickly, they won't be down for refurb too long. I know I would be horribly sad if BTM was down when I went to WDW, since I'm a Mass native I don't get there often.

At any rate, they do need to spruce up a couple of the attractions, though I'm still on the fence about these new "interactive queues" they keep adding. How about a good can of paint and some oil in the gears?

BigThunderMatt

I If they do them together and quickly, they won't be down for refurb too long.

Unfortunately, this isn't an option. They might be able to have Splash down for a shorter period of time to focus on some mechanical issues and heavily on show issues.

However, Thunder needs an extensive refurb. It's been nearly a decade since it's had one and it needs it BADLY. Giving it less than 4-6 months is doing both the ride and the guests a major disservice.

Fable McCloud

I suppose it would take quite a bit of time to make BTM look great again...I just can't think about what it be like to save up all the money to go to WDW and have one of the most fun rides down for refurb. It saddens me. I wish they could just do it at night and leave the ride open during the day.

Scuttle

I suppose it would take quite a bit of time to make BTM look great again...I just can't think about what it be like to save up all the money to go to WDW and have one of the most fun rides down for refurb. It saddens me. I wish they could just do it at night and leave the ride open during the day.

Screw that, it saddens me when I see the condition these rides are in. Bring out the construction walls and get these rides show ready. I love the fact the TDO is considering putting down 3 e-tickets at one time. It's about time they stepped up to the plate and take care of maintenance issues. I'm actually very excited about these refurbs!

Pioneer Hall

That's unfortunately the monster you have to deal with when you want to operate a 365 day operation. Most of the equipment needed for refurbs can't just be cleaned up at night, so you need to close things for extended periods. Seasonal parks get the advantage of closing for a few months and cleaning things up then.

COProgressFan

I should have clarified - that was more a list of attractions as I came up with them. I don't think that order is appropriate at all. If anything I would order them as follows:

Need of Refurbishment:
  1. Splash Mountain
  2. MuppetVision 3D
  3. Expedition Everest
  4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  5. Dinosaur
  6. It's Tough to be a Bug
  7. Jungle Cruise

1. The Great Movie Ride
  2. Journey Into Imagination with Figment
  3. Peter Pan's Flight
  4. Carousel of Progress
  5. Maelstrom
  6. Fantasmic
  7. Test Track

Need of Replacement:
  1. Sounds Dangerous
  2. Primeval Whirl
  3. Stitch's Great Escape
  4. Ellen's Energy Adventure
  5. Circle of Life
  6. Captain EO

No wonder Bob Iger wanted to sell the parks!! (Seriously though, I do agree with this list)

fosse76

It is not always that simple. Third shift only has X number of hours to fix problems between park closing and opening. If the repair time will exceed X, you have a problem.

That's not what I was saying. I wasn't saying "work on it overnight". In fact, nowhere in my post did I even allude to that. If something on a ride breaks, I would think it might be easier to shut down the ride for a few days and fix it, rather than continue operating the ride, which would allow other things to break on the ride at which point the ride has to be closed for weeks or months to repair. By repairing as needed, it gives more guests a chance to still be able to enjoy the ride, since it would have a possibility of being open at least once during their trip.

NoChesterHester

That's not what I was saying. I wasn't saying "work on it overnight". In fact, nowhere in my post did I even allude to that. If something on a ride breaks, I would think it might be easier to shut down the ride for a few days and fix it, rather than continue operating the ride, which would allow other things to break on the ride at which point the ride has to be closed for weeks or months to repair. By repairing as needed, it gives more guests a chance to still be able to enjoy the ride, since it would have a possibility of being open at least once during their trip.

I hear you, but that just isn't always possible. Some things have lead time for orders, take a long time to be fixed, some things that need replacing take long periods to replace. Scheduling is necessary in any business.

cheezbat

I hear you, but that just isn't always possible. Some things have lead time for orders, take a long time to be fixed, some things that need replacing take long periods to replace. Scheduling is necessary in any business.

Exactly!

And if you're a smart trip planner, you'll do your research before you plan and leave for your trip and find out exactly when things will be down for a refurb or whatever.
I'm heading to Cali nect month to visit Disneyland, and I've already done my research. I'm going knowing that Pirates will be closed, as well as California Screamin', and that there will be walls all over the place at DCA.

Plan ahead, and most of the time you'll be ok! :)

The Duck

My dilemma. I'm locked into a timeshare week at the end of Jan-early Feb. (not DVC) and to change my week would cost almost $300.00. I've always taken a chance on Splash being closed but this could put a crimp in my BVD's. :brick:

draybook

Splash needs something done, because on the 3 days we spent at the MK, it went down 2-3 times per day, one was even an evac, or it looked like they were about to start evac'ing anyways.

Jane Doe

And if you're a smart trip planner, you'll do your research before you plan and leave for your trip and find out exactly when things will be down for a refurb or whatever.

Do you think that everyone who visits WDW organises their trip within three months of leaving? As of today there is still no confirmation of the alleged Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain refurbishment and the alleged Test Track refurb, which allegedly meant to start in January, is now allegedly going to begin in June.

Fantasmic

I was at MK on Wed and Splash was on/off all day, when I went on it, it was in DIRE condition, lots of AAs not working including the brer fox on brer bear's shoulders!

Went on again and it was better, more AAs working, but still needs to go down for a good rehab!

cheezbat

Do you think that everyone who visits WDW organises their trip within three months of leaving? As of today there is still no confirmation of the alleged Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain refurbishment and the alleged Test Track refurb, which allegedly meant to start in January, is now allegedly going to begin in June.

Oh I know they don't...but then it's basically their fault that they didn't check to see if their favorite attraction may be closed. I learned that firsthand years ago when I made a trip somewhere...only to be disappointed to find that the big attraction I wanted to ride most was closed. If it matters that much, look into it thouroughly before you make your plans. :animwink:

Thrill Seeker

My notes are in red...

Need of Refurbishment:
  1. Splash Mountain Yes, but not as dire as some other attractions.
  2. MuppetVision 3D Not really... It just had a refurbishment.
  3. Expedition Everest This one should be up there.
  4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad This should be top of the list. It has a lot of problems...
  5. Dinosaur It was perfectly fine the last time I rode it.
  6. It's Tough to be a Bug Can we remove this? Please?
  7. Jungle Cruise I agree.

1. The Great Movie Ride Movie Ride is at least enjoyable as is... Not the worst offender here...
  2. Journey Into Imagination with Figment Completely agree.
  3. Peter Pan's Flight Major refurb is more like it.
  4. Carousel of Progress Yup.
  5. Maelstrom This is never gonna change...
  6. Fantasmic I can see it.
  7. Test Track This one is confirmed!

Need of Replacement:
  1. Sounds Dangerous You can checkmark this one one the list.
  2. Primeval Whirl Nah, it's fine as is.
  3. Stitch's Great Escape Agreed.
  4. Ellen's Energy Adventure I'd move this to the overhaul list.
  5. Circle of Life Yup.
  6. Captain EO It doesn't need a replacement right away, but it's probably gonna get one in not too long.

I'd add Backlot Tour to the removal list and Wishes to the overhaul list, but that's just me.

RSoxNo1

My notes are in red...

I'd add Backlot Tour to the removal list and Wishes to the overhaul list, but that's just me.

Completely spaced on Backlot Tour, that needs to be removed as well. As for the "in need of refurbishment" list, I was basing that off of the broken effects that have been reported and despite MuppetVision's recent refurb it seems like they're still having effects issues - at least with the penguins and bubbles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom