Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just want to ask you one thing...Why not Lasseter? His creativity and zela for the parks would be perfect.

Well ... many reasons.

First, he'd never be asked. And second, he'd not want the job.

Those really cover it.

Creatives like John don't get to run major divisions of multi-billion media corps. And before anyone brings up Pixar, understand that when it started for years it was a very small fish and he didn't 'run' the company so much as steer its creative direction.

And as much as he loves the parks (but mostly DL), his passion is animation. That's why Pixar can't make a film that isn't a huge creative and financial success.

He couldn't run Pixar and WDFA and advise WDI, if he ran P&R.

John is doing what he does best.

Mr.EPCOT

Not the reason. Pixar has the market power of brand dominance. Like Oreo and cookies.

Lasseter's name has been all over the past 3 WDFA films.

I don't think so at all. Every single one of their movies has been an extremely well-crafted film, remember they've all earned critical praise, too. Now, everyone will have their Pixar movies that
don't resonate for them personally as much as the others, like I've seen plenty of people on here say they don't get Cars, my best friend thought Ratatouille was just okay, and I personally didn't seem to be as wowed by Up as most other people were, but I think most of us would agree that these are better than 90% of the stuff put out there. So to say that the brand name is what is putting butts in seats instead of the consistent high quality seems a little silly to me. If they ever come out with a bad movie, it won't survive past the first weekend or two with bad word-of-mouth. On top of that, sure the average Joe recognize the name Pixar, but probably has no idea about who John Lasseter is. And I've come across plenty of people who think things like Shrek and Ice Age are Pixar films, too.

MousDad

I don't think so at all. Every single one of their movies has been an extremely well-crafted film, remember they've all earned critical praise, too...So to say that the brand name is what is putting butts in seats instead of the consistent high quality seems a little silly to me. If they ever come out with a bad movie, it won't survive past the first weekend or two with bad word-of-mouth.

I agree with everything you said, but you misunderstood me. They have achieved brand dominance because of all this ^, it's their track record. They're like Smith Barney, they earned it.

WDWFigment

I don't think so at all. Every single one of their movies has been an extremely well-crafted film, remember they've all earned critical praise, too. Now, everyone will have their Pixar movies that
don't resonate for them personally as much as the others, like I've seen plenty of people on here say they don't get Cars, my best friend thought Ratatouille was just okay, and I personally didn't seem to be as wowed by Up as most other people were, but I think most of us would agree that these are better than 90% of the stuff put out there. So to say that the brand name is what is putting butts in seats instead of the consistent high quality seems a little silly to me. If they ever come out with a bad movie, it won't survive past the first weekend or two with bad word-of-mouth. On top of that, sure the average Joe recognize the name Pixar, but probably has no idea about who John Lasseter is. And I've come across plenty of people who think things like Shrek and Ice Age are Pixar films, too.

You had me until the bolded. I absolutely think Pixar has built its name on great quality, but because of this, I think if it was to come out with a bad film (say a 50% or lower on Rotten Tomatoes), it would still do extremely well because of the brand name. I think its name is so associated with high quality that people would go despite reading or hearing bad reviews, thinking that the reviews must be "off", not the film.

Mr.EPCOT

You had me until the bolded. I absolutely think Pixar has built its name on great quality, but because of this, I think if it was to come out with a bad film (say a 50% or lower on Rotten Tomatoes), it would still do extremely well because of the brand name. I think its name is so associated with high quality that people would go despite reading or hearing bad reviews, thinking that the reviews must be "off", not the film.

Truthfully, yeah, it's more than possible that would happen, but I think it's completely moot for now because they are seemingly incapable of putting together a bad film with the organization they have in place.

Bolna

You aren't bothering me and I started the thread, so feel free to take the conversation wherever it flows to. Threads die when there's nothing new to talk about ... besides, I'd rather talk about DLP now. I'll sound much more positive.

Thanks for the encouragement. So I will try to help to keep the thread alive!

It is the only part that doesn't feel so cold and sterile. But I don't know how much they can do. The layout of the park and decision to make mostly large soundstage buildings has kind of hamstrung them now.

Tower is same version as in DCA as it was 'borrowed' quickly when DCA faultered at opening. A different version in a different location was supposed to be built around 2006-07.

Anyway, back to DSP ... the one thing that's going to really hurt is the lack of water and greenery. DLP is so lush and DSP is so not.

I have heard that ToT is the same as in DCA. I really prefer the Orlando version where the elevator also travels horizontally... But i have read on DLP websites that the theming is a bit more thorough than at DCA. Did you notice any of that?

I think getting more of that Hollywood treatment would be good for the Studios in Paris. I think this is something that would get Europeans to come to the park. I once read that Frontierland is larger in DLP because of the strong love of the Europeans for the Wild West. This always made sense to me and I think it would work with the Hollywood theme for the Studios as well. Especially for the German tourist market which for some reason is nearly ignored by all DLP marketing.

I guess the only solution for much of the Paris Studios is to rebuilt huge chunks of it. In 2003 the only area we liked was the entrance outside Studio 1. :shrug:

So far, so good. I think ... she is in Nuremberg now for NYE. Was skiing somewhere. Also was in Munich and is headed to Berlin for three days before heading back to FLA. ... She's been to Germany once before, but none of the above.

That's funny, I live in Nuremberg and work in Berlin at the moment, she got to visit my two home cities! And I went to university in Munich. I hope she enjoyed all three cities, they are quite different from each other. At least she got to see Berlin covered in snow which is not a regular sight in winter...

I love shows, well, good ones. Those two were really wonderful. Better than anything at WDW, so I do miss them.

Perhaps I ought to have tried them - too late now. :hammer:

And I don't (normally) wear women's clothing so I can't comment on that!:ROFLOL:

Actually thinking back on you being dissapointed with the merchandise. You mentioned getting other things which sound like you are a bit of a collector. I think those collectibles are much less common here in Europe in general. I would say that most Europeans see shopping much less of a vacation activity than Americans (I even read about a study that was done on that) with the exception of the British. Souvenirs here tend to be much more practical things you can use in your every day life, but which are a nice memento of the vacation.

In 2007 I was impressed by the quality of design on the normal souvenir things like mugs and T-Shirts. Most WDW mugs and T-Shirts do look very cheesy to me and a bit cheap (of course the price does not reflect that). Especially those yearly designs look from my German point of view too much over the top. What I really liked at DLP was for example a sweater which had some pink flowers on the shoulder and between those was a tiny pink Tinkerbell. I love this sweater and wear it to the office on a regular basis. The Tinkerbell looks like just a nice design to everyone else there. My friend got a very stylish brown handbag which has a small Minnie on the strap. It's things like that which I thought were really great.

And which were improved from our point of view in comparison to our previous trips. 1995 still seemed to have much more varied and unique merchandise than later trips. So it was wonderful to see this coming back in 2007.

But it is much different from what a Disney collector would want to get.

I'd go. And I think I will! And I'm a lot further away!

Ok, I guess you have me convinced by now that I need to go to DLP in 2010! I think I might even try to go during the summer season, I would love to see fireworks there!

As for MK, I largely go out of habit. Although I really did have a great time there a few weeks ago ... I think the cool weather and empty park definitely had something to do with that.

But largely, my WDW trips are about EPCOT, DAK and resorts, and then everything else. Dining used to be way up there, but that's all changed since the DDP took over.

On my upcoming trip in three weeks I will take my sister to WDW for her first time. She has been to DLP with me in the past and we are planning to spend very little time at the MK during our ten days: The rest of WDW will be much more exciting to her! I love AK and I think she will too - we are even booked on the Wild by Design tour there. And we will still enjoy the dining, but for us it comes with the special attraction of trying to eat "ethnic food" (i.e. American food) while at WDW.

Yeah. DCA isn't close to the cold empty feeling of DSP and never has come close. And HKDL (another park 'built on the cheap') is like a masterpiece in comparison too.

I think if they had built DCA instead of the Studios in paris, it would have been very successful, all this California theme would have been great for us Europeans!

I dunno ... I hear about this a lot and I have to say that DLP CMs were universally good to GREAT on my last trip. I filled out four compliment cards at City Hall and could have done 40 (btw, they were shocked that we were doing so). I get the idea that Europeans feel the French have 'tudes and go in with 'tudes themselves (especially the UKers who are still fighting wars from the middle ages!) ... CMs were just so friendly, so helpful and (dare I say it, as an American used to seeing 300-pound slovenly WDW CMs, very attractive ... both female and male!)

The worst guests seemed to come from Spain. I'd compare the way the French and British (see, they have something in common) bitched about them to the way Brazilians are ripped by WDW regulars, as they tend to be loud, tend to treat queues as suggestions and are often not pleasant to be around. Yet, one of the nicest families we met were standing in a queue for Crush's Coaster with us and we talked for about 45 minutes (part English, part Spanish), so I just don't like to paint groups with broad brushes. ... I mean, even I admit I like some Disney execs!:eek::animwink::xmas:

To a certain extent I think you are right, if you expect negative experiences, those will be much more obvious than the good ones.

What I don't like about the French is that DLP used to be a very international park in the beginning and when they had those financial troubles, they started to focus much more on the local visitors and therefore put more empathize on French in the park. In 1995 it still felt like a place open to all Europeans, in later years it was a French park. I think this has improved again, at least with regard to English. So many things are now French and English.

One thing which I miss at DLP is however just that it is a multilingual park. At WDW you can talks to nearly everyone (wether guest or CM) in English without any problem. Different languages make communication much less easy and it takes away from possible interactions you can have. I think it is wonderful that you got to talk to this family in the Crush queue. But I think these interactions are much rarer at DLP than at WDW. And if I happen to have converstations with strangers here at home, it very often is Americans starting the conversation. :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have heard that ToT is the same as in DCA. I really prefer the Orlando version where the elevator also travels horizontally... But i have read on DLP websites that the theming is a bit more thorough than at DCA. Did you notice any of that?
If I may... the tower in DCA was actually copied from the one in Paris. Paris was due to get it first, it was designed for Paris, but it was decided DCA needed it first. They are identical aside from construction technique (concrete in France, Steel in LA), Paris has little curved details underneath the motor floor underhang and squatter domes, and of course in Paris you can hear the pre and main narrations in French or English. Then Tokyo came along and took it too - with the Ahahiem building method - and rethemed it for TDS. Poor Paris was meant to get the second version first and ended up last.

The placemaking project built in WDSP along with TOT does make the French version seem more lavish than Anahiem landscaping wise. Plus the Parisian area dedicated and themed to the attraction is larger what with La Terrace and the Toilets of Terror :D

Of course, what the park really needs is its Sunset Blvd - more likely Hollywood Blvd now - to be built through the tram station location and head out south west. Aside from the original sound attraction area (and the rumours of Soarin') and the RnRC side plot the park needs more physical space. It is after all only a `T` shape. I first went 2 months after it opened, when the landscaping was only a few twigs, and you could literally stand outside Studio One and see each berm. Like one exec was heard to whisper the night before the opening party "I guess we did build it too small."

tirian

If I may... the tower in DCA was actually copied from the one in Paris. Paris was due to get it first, it was designed for Paris, but it was decided DCA needed it first. They are identical aside from construction technique (concrete in France, Steel in LA), Paris has little curved details underneath the motor floor underhang and squatter domes, and of course in Paris you can hear the pre and main narrations in French or English. Then Tokyo came along and took it too - with the Ahahiem building method - and rethemed it for TDS. Poor Paris was meant to get the second version first and ended up last.

The placemaking project built in WDSP along with TOT does make the French version seem more lavish than Anahiem landscaping wise. Plus the Parisian area dedicated and themed to the attraction is larger what with La Terrace and the Toilets of Terror :D

Of course, what the park really needs is its Sunset Blvd - more likely Hollywood Blvd now - to be built through the tram station location and head out south west. Aside from the original sound attraction area (and the rumours of Soarin') and the RnRC side plot the park needs more physical space. It is after all only a `T` shape. I first went 2 months after it opened, when the landscaping was only a few twigs, and you could literally stand outside Studio One and see each berm. Like one exec was heard to whisper the night before the opening party "I guess we did build it too small."
small minds + small expectations = small results. That's something Disney has finally started to remember.

_Scar

Marni, does DHS ToT have Paris' projectors that they used for the world premiere? They could do SO MUCH with those projectors...

Bolna

Ah the Toilets of Terror, I remember those from reading DLP sites! :king: Thanks for the interesting post! I never thought about the park being so small, but you are right. Besides there being very little to actually do, there even isn't a lot of space for walking around... Need to look at Google maps to figure out where this boulevard would go.

EPCOT Explorer

Ah the Toilets of Terror, I remember those from reading DLP sites! :king: Thanks for the interesting post! I never thought about the park being so small, but you are right. Besides there being very little to actually do, there even isn't a lot of space for walking around... Need to look at Google maps to figure out where this boulevard would go.

Can anyone explain what the Toilets of Terror are...or do I not want to know?:lookaroun :lol:

Bolna

Can anyone explain what the Toilets of Terror are...or do I not want to know?:lookaroun :lol:

If I remember correctly they built a new toilet building and it was decorated with Tower of Terror design elements. I think I used them once and there wasn't anything terrifying about them! :) This was way before they annonced ToT or even started building it. It was interpreted as a sign that the Tower would arrive at WDSP one day.

Connecting this with what Martin wrote about that Paris was supposed to get the second Tower but then was postponed, I wonder wether the toilets were built just at that time. So they are just left over from a previous plan that never happened?

EPCOT Explorer

If I remember correctly they built a new toilet building and it was decorated with Tower of Terror design elements. I think I used them once and there wasn't anything terrifying about them! :) This was way before they annonced ToT or even started building it. It was interpreted as a sign that the Tower would arrive at WDSP one day.

Connecting this with what Martin wrote about that Paris was supposed to get the second Tower but then was postponed, I wonder wether the toilets were built just at that time. So they are just left over from a previous plan that never happened?

That is VERY hysterical.

Expansion rumors proven with Toilets! :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni, does DHS ToT have Paris' projectors that they used for the world premiere? They could do SO MUCH with those projectors...
You mean the projections displayed on the Tower in Paris for the grand opening?No. They were custom installed just for the press launch in Paris. There were 6 of them in all, and it looked spectacular.

The toilets of terror... it was known since day one WDSP was getting a Tower;in 2002 La Terrace was an outside cafe infront of an empty and walled plot of land. The cafe decor matched the Tower decor, and a small HTH logo was on an archway that led to a set of closed gates.

100yds or so away, on the edge of this empty plot, construction began around when the park opened. The internet was buzzing with this new development, and as it grew the style and decor matched the Towers perfectly. It was only as construction finished was it apparent it was just a single story toilet block and not the Tower of Terror. Funny now when you look back.

The toilets did finally end up connecting with the main Tower showbuilding, next to the gift shop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom