Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Ignohippo

I have to beg to differ because Avatar is not really a kids movie or franchise. I feel like younger boys will not latch on to it as well as they do for the SW stuff.

No one ever said anything about Avatar being for younger boys. However, if FLE is made for younger kids, with a tilt towards girls, it would make sense that the next expansion be skewed towards adults and boys.

Travel Junkie

Know what else is rude? Reading Star Wars spoilers in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

These threads has a long history of discussing the Disney company as a whole, including the movies. Casting news of a Disney film is fair game

Missed the point. Legitimate media doesnt do things like this. If the mouse was ever looking for an excuse to rid themselves of him, now they have one.

Not excusing anything, but legitimate media no longer acts like legitimate media. Exhibit A, cable news.

Someone did not take their happy pill today...

Seriously, something got Dave riled up last night.

Ignohippo

I don't think it will be a dog, but I also don't think it will be a Frozen level success. It isn't the type of 4-quadrant movie that will over perform. It will be successful, though.

But the long term issue, how long can Katzenberg keep running a 50% return rate before he is ousted and his company sold off?

We shall see. I don't see it grossing over $200 mil.

Ignohippo

That's funny. You're funny. Television CG is lightyears behind what a theatrical budget can do, even with the Dragon show being a higher quality then most other stuff. How to Train your Dragon 2 has pretty much no competition this summer as far as CGI animated movies and family entertainment goes. The dragons are going to burninate the box office, burninating Planes 2, burninating all the peoples in their thatched roof cottages.

HA! You think the public at large knows that, or cares? You give the public way too much credit.

Planes 2 will outperform Dragon 2 even though there's no doubt Dragon 2 will be of a much higher quality in both animation and writing.

twebber55

No one ever said anything about Avatar being for younger boys. However, if FLE is made for younger kids, with a tilt towards girls, it would make sense that the next expansion be skewed towards adults and boys.
totally agree with this..this expansion at DAk is more for adults and boys

twebber55

like i said yesterday box office mojo is predicting over 800 million for Dragons 2 and even if they are wrong they re pretty much never that wrong

71jason

I don't see how an actor playing an unnamed role in a movie is a "spoiler" for the plot though? What does it "spoil?"

I agree listing the actors in a movie doesn't constitute a spoiler (barring a secret cameo, like say, the close of PotC2 or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves). However ...

The photo in question does a bit more. It's from a group read, where actors are generally grouped with fellow actors they share they most screen time with. So it's fairly easy to deduce unknown actress between Ford and Fisher is playing a teen-ish Solo daughter, while the two guys together on the opposite end of the room are likely the bad guys.

To draw a (poor) GoT analogy, it would be like saying "Wait until you see what Character X does in Book 5!" Which shows Character X doesn't die this season (never a gimmee on GoT).

bhg469

"Boy centric" to me says young males and I just do not agree that boys care about avatar, it was a fad. Star wars is proven to be 10x the draw when it comes to the collective IP. And I would call that "tilt" a very big tilt.

tribbleorlfl

The point is that its soft-core being promoted by one of the credentialed "Media" sites. Legitimate sites dont do this sort of thing. The point? Sure he can do what he wants, Disney just doesn't have to credential him.

I'm also hearing its a blatent (not-parody) rip off from a MegaCon artist.
It's funny, I was about to say this looks no different than the vast majority of the "art" that was sold at MegaCon back in March. It's sad to see the industry, cosplay and geekery in general take such a hyper-sexualized turn.

To be honest, though, I'm not as creeped out by those who create and sell this garbage as much as those who buy it.

stevehousse

i mean i do agree that Star wars pretty much has the under 11 boy crowd
I would honestly say Star Wars has the every age crowd! It doesn't matter it your 5 or 60, people love the franchise which is why Disney is crazy For not having this announced yet and fast tracked to be built!

I like that we are getting something new in animal kingdom even if it's avatar! I'm not a hater on that at all, but avatar is an adult movie, which most kids won't know anything about...so I think it's kind of weird they decided to go with it.

twebber55

I would honestly say Star Wars has the every age crowd! It doesn't matter it your 5 or 60, people love the franchise which is why Disney is crazy For not having this announced yet and fast tracked to be built!

I like that we are getting some new in animal kingdom even if it's avatar! I'm not a hater on that at all, but avatar is an adult movie, which most kids won't know anything about...so I think it's kind of weird they decided to go with it.
if its over age 11 i dont see it..i work in a school and i ve honestly have never seen a kid wear a star wars shirt...now that doesnt mean its not popular and those kids wont go see it im saying i just dont see it...my brother and i did a pop culture survey on this very topic and harry potter killed star wars at our two schools...now that may change when episode 7 comes out...and i hope this doesnt turn into another harry potter vs star wars thing because that gets old
i also have a slight disagreement with your avatar opinion based on another boring anecdotal story i have but its boring and not really part of this discussion

Last edited:

Omnispace

I've had the unusual experience of unwittingly wandering into a Star Wars convention. They basically took over downtown Indianapolis -- the Sand People in the Hyatt Regency were what first tipped us off, it got stranger the more we walked around -- so I know for sure that if someone builds a Star Wars land somewhere people are going to be really excited. The painful prequels dimmed the appeal of the story a bit but fans seem to be pretty forgiving.

But the rumors of Disney wanting to turn Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land either at Disneyland or WDW just makes me sad. And I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have a Star Wars land, just a bad fit. Tomorrowland is supposed to embody harmony and the promise of the future. Star Wars is based on discord and conflict.

Even from the viewpoint of creating a realm to explore, in order to create tension in the story Star Wars is full of hostile worlds. Translating Tattooine or Coruscant to a theme park experience I think is not going to be a pleasant one. I imagine Tattooine would be much like Tomorrowland '98. Or how about visiting a bar full of murderous criminals and smugglers? Would a Star Wars land be in a perpetual state of war? How is that supposed to fit into a Disney park experience? Of all the different planets only Naboo seems the most inviting, ...and I'm only a couple hour's drive from Endor so perhaps I'm just spoiled.

I'm not a huge fan of Avatar but regarding theme park experiences it does have a sympathetic and wondrous realm to explore, at least if you are willing to forget all the hostile creatures that can kill you. But even with that aspect, the message is living in harmony with the environment, which matches the theme of Animal Kingdom. Based on that I can see why they decided to add it to the park and I am hoping that they are pushing for a more universal appeal, especially if they can work on the big draw of the land being "pretty". I'm not sure that is necessarily an appeal to young boys. The people that gravitate towards Avatar seem to be those enamored with the promise of Pandora and it's Rodger Dean landscape.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom