Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Ignohippo

Then really should be able to do a major project in at least two parks at a time and a hotel/DVC project at the same time. I think Springs is hurting attraction construction more than NGE. And heaven knows if that will ever turn a positive ROI.

From a business perspective, there isn't any reason to do two projects at once. They're hoping for an attendance bump from the FLE for the next two years, then Avatar for a couple, then would be Star Wars.

It isn't the way we want it, but the way TDO sees it under the "one resort" scheme, having a new attraction at one park should boost attendance for all of the parks and resorts.

The problem is, the FLE and Avatar aren't CarsLand. Cars is a major property and that expansion was done full throttle (pun intended) and the right way. Instead, the FLE is style with little substance using properties that are decades old, and (at least right now) Avatar is an average property at best that isn't going to bring the attendance boost that they are hoping for.

And the Disney Springs expansion isn't to boost attendance at the resort, it's to get more retailers renting property. Unlike the parks (and NextGen), I would think Disney Springs will be it's own expenditure. As long as the tenants are lined up, I wouldn't expect it to have any impact on whether new things are added to the parks.

bhg469

From a business perspective, there isn't any reason to do two projects at once. They're hoping for an attendance bump from the FLE for the next two years, then Avatar for a couple, then would be Star Wars.

It isn't the way we want it, but the way TDO sees it under the "one resort" scheme, having a new attraction at one park should boost attendance for all of the parks and resorts.

The problem is, the FLE and Avatar aren't CarsLand. Cars is a major property and that expansion was done full throttle (pun intended) and the right way. Instead, the FLE is style with little substance using properties that are decades old, and (at least right now) Avatar is an average property at best that isn't going to bring the attendance boost that they are hoping for.

And the Disney Springs expansion isn't to boost attendance at the resort, it's to get more retailers renting property. Unlike the parks (and NextGen), I would think Disney Springs will be it's own expenditure. As long as the tenants are lined up, I wouldn't expect it to have any impact on whether new things are added to the parks.
The delay of the projects is silly because they are obviously for different target audiences, and I hate to mention it again but the target audience of FLE is very easy to impress and the demographic could play in a large cardboard box and would have just as much fun as they would in WDW.

Ignohippo

Their status as an independent publicly traded animation studio causes a lot of unnecessary pressure. Not every film is a huge hit, and their shareholders seem to expect that. I could have told you Mr. Peabody & Sherman wasn't going to be a big hit - it's pretty obvious.

All of this will be calmed when Dragon 2 is released in June and is a huge hit, but they would certainly do well to be purchased by a huge studio. Would get the dogs off.

Dragon 2 is going to be a complete dog. There's no call for it. Maybe two years ago, but that franchise is dead now. Especially with the show airing on the Cartoon Network, you aren't going to get people to spend $60 to take the family to the movies for something they think they can see free at home.

Dreamworks is in a serious tailspin right now.

Ignohippo

The delay of the projects is silly because they are obviously for different target audiences, and I hate to mention it again but the target audience of FLE is very easy to impress and the demographic could play in a large cardboard box and would have just as much fun as they would in WDW.

Right, and that's why you see Avatar (boy-centric) coming after the FLE (girl-centric). (And please, let's not get into a debate that little Johnny loves Beauty And The Beast or that Suzy loves Avatar)

In the perfect world, each park should get new offerings and Disney is certainly diversified enough as a brand that gender shouldn't ever be an issue. But when expansions and additions are so few and far between, it seems Disney digs itself into that kind of hole.

bhg469

Right, and that's why you see Avatar (boy-centric) coming after the FLE (girl-centric). (And please, let's not get into a debate that little Johnny loves Beauty And The Beast or that Suzy loves Avatar)

In the perfect world, each park should get new offerings and Disney is certainly diversified enough as a brand that gender shouldn't ever be an issue. But when expansions and additions are so few and far between, it seems Disney digs itself into that kind of hole.
I have to beg to differ because Avatar is not really a kids movie or franchise. I feel like younger boys will not latch on to it as well as they do for the SW stuff.

Tigger1988

Seriously. They put this kind of information on the poster.
How exactly does he intend to get into a theater seat to watch the film without having heard who's in it?
I also hate when people put the burden of "not spoiling them" on others. It's not our job to protect you, stay off the Internet, turn off your TV and don't leave the house til Dec '15. Otherwise you run the risk of getting spoiled. That's life.

FigmentJedi

Dragon 2 is going to be a complete dog. There's no call for it. Maybe two years ago, but that franchise is dead now. Especially with the show airing on the Cartoon Network, you aren't going to get people to spend $60 to take the family to the movies for something they think they can see free at home.

That's funny. You're funny. Television CG is lightyears behind what a theatrical budget can do, even with the Dragon show being a higher quality then most other stuff. How to Train your Dragon 2 has pretty much no competition this summer as far as CGI animated movies and family entertainment goes. The dragons are going to burninate the box office, burninating Planes 2, burninating all the peoples in their thatched roof cottages.

Bairstow

Er, have you seen how many views the various trailers are getting on Youtube?
People are chomping at the bit for this thing.

I'm not sure why you're so sure the "franchise is dead."
There were four years between Toy Story and its sequel as well.
The development cycle for a quality animated feature is looong, and they're often worth waiting for.

twebber55

Box office mojo is predicting it to be the number 1 movie this summer with over 800 million world wide box office

Rodan75

I agree, I never see them doing major projects in all 4 parks at the same time. But unfortunately Springs, DVC, the Hub and attractions all come out if the same CapEx budget and from that perspective WDW has an insane amount of construction going on right now.

We know Springs and Avatar will be in construction for the next two years, but will something start ramping up as the FOTLK finishes up? Or are we down to the Hub, Springs, Avatar and a DVC?

Rodan75

I don't think it will be a dog, but I also don't think it will be a Frozen level success. It isn't the type of 4-quadrant movie that will over perform. It will be successful, though.

But the long term issue, how long can Katzenberg keep running a 50% return rate before he is ousted and his company sold off?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom