Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
My worries are that they will insist on a instant ROI rather than just seeing what happens. Merchandise wise? I dont see a sucessful market in they crap to go on the magic bands BUT the real money will in the behind the scene analytics.

They're going to be playing real-world rollercoaster tycoon and seeing exactly what a crowd does in a theme park using actual data rather than surveys and people counters. They will know exactly who did what and when, how big was their group, etc. All sorts of data to help streamline labor hours and mazimize profits..... which I'll accept as long as its anonymous. Thats where I think the costs will be a benefit, but not enough for $1-2B to be recouped in under 10 years. Lets say its $2B. Then we need to somehow have MM+ save $200M a year in labor costs just to break even over 10 years, not even including operational costs or its own labor. Even $1B would be $100M over 10 and thats still unheard of.

(That being said, if we had dropped $1B on a Star Wars makeover of DHS, i think you can increase revenues there to make it back within 3-5 years..... but what do I know?)

What I fear? That data of what I do, how I shop, where I eat being turned into targeted advertising and marketing. I fear that data being sold. Disney has been insanely less that transparent about the behind the scenes part of this. Selling people's personal information in an effort to recoup that $1-2B in a faster timeframe.

Selling the magic band merch might break even. Might. It certainly wont put a dent in the negatives in the balance sheet.

IMO of course.

There are only so many ways possible of recouping the kind of spend that Disney has done ... this is a company that places 'temporary' things like giant wands and hats into theme parks and budgets them over a 10-year-period to make the cost look less significant.

How they are going to make this work financially is just well beyond the scope of my thinking. I wish them luck. ... Not really.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed. At least you didnt mention Big Bang Theory which seems to be nothing but making fun of a guy who seems to be "On The Spectrum" ... so to speak.

Actually, I did. I like the show ... think Jim Parsons is incredibly talented, they all are really. But it largely is a show that you turn your mind off for and just laugh at the lines.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The one thing I am most interested in: is there truly a chance for De La Terre a La Lune to come back? I always thought that was only wishful thinking by fans, but now, if they truly retheme the coaster, there is a real chance?

I know someone in my family who would book a trip for the opening weekend!

I would too! ... And, yes, this wouldn't be a very tough change, so I think it stands a very good chance of happening.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But those Magic Maker stuff was the whole point of this project when It was originally pitched years ago.

Such is my understanding, of course.

Your understanding is quite accurate.

But there is a reason why that stuff hasn't happened ... and why the interactive queues (even those planned like for Pirates and Pan) just stopped dead.

Whether or not that MAGIC Maker stuff all happens is most definitely way up in the air.

PhotoDave219

But there is a reason why that stuff hasn't happened ... and why the interactive queues (even those planned like for Pirates and Pan) just stopped dead.

Whether or not that MAGIC Maker stuff all happens is most definitely way up in the air.

And I would guess is that reason is ..... MONEY. Plain and simple.

Hey, what is the ROI on fun? Can any of our accounting friends quantify "Fun"?

djlaosc

Interesting development on UK Free Dining for 2015...

Instead of being stopped/downgraded, which is what the rumours were saying...

FREE dining plans (QSDP Moderates, DDP Deluxe)
14-Day Ultimate Ticket for the price of a 7-day ticket
$200 Disney dollars spending money

...which is the same as last year (although no mention of Saratoga/OKW 35% off like last year).

A new addition to the offer is a free breakfast if you stay at a Value resort - there was nothing offered last year (and as far back as I remember), so they have actually increased their offers for 2015!

TheDisneyMagic

To be fair, calling that an ''attraction'' might be giving it way too much credit. I did it once in 2009 just to say I did ... I'd like that time back as we waited a good 20-25 minutes to get on a tram.
They unfortunately still cannot efficiently load this attraction, it can take 10 minutes at times to load one tram. The dragon is very rarely used anymore either, it used to come out during Terroriffic Nights but now that has been canned...

asianway

Someone just directed me to a Twitter post saying that Disney has an entire team dedicated to monitoring CM's social media accts. Supposedly on the lookout for negative posts/statements about MM+/FP+.

Oh, the joy if being a CM, huh?
It does seem like overkill & on the surface scummy...but let's think for a minute. Should anyone post something negative about their company in a public forum? I mean that's standard code of conduct pretty much anywhere

baymenxpac

Someone just directed me to a Twitter post saying that Disney has an entire team dedicated to monitoring CM's social media accts. Supposedly on the lookout for negative posts/statements about MM+/FP+.

looooovely. and all for minimum wage and to be on the receiving end of frustrated moms' pent up frustrations!

MM+ thought: i suppose if this makes iger, or more importantly, investors rethink what business the parks should actually be in (i.e. entertainment, not data mining), then could it be $2 billion well spent? or are we just stuck with the worst of it without reaping an entertainment benefits and nothing will change in philosophy? probably the latter, yes?

quick TV thought: mad men is one of my favorites (mostly because i have both a passion for advertising -- since it's a related industry to mine -- and the human condition). i've always felt that mad men is for the introspective, maybe even conflicted viewer; one that wrestles with similar fears that the characters do. to me, the central theme has always been that massive gray area that exists in life. almost nothing has immediate consequences, or at least ones you can see. and almost nothing is purely good or bad. i really try to take each character, get inside their head, and view it through my lens, which i admit, is not pleasurable television viewing for everyone. i've always been surprised it got such a long run, and i'm so thankful thank matt hasn't compromised or deviated much from his vision (or so it seems to me, outside looking in).

then again, i can't get through more than four episodes of breaking bad, because i truly find it to be awful. again, different strokes, as they say.

PhotoDave219

I've known that from 10 years ago. They had cast members the paid attention to what I was posting on here back when I worked for the company in 2004…

Nothing new. But if I'm a cast member? Hide your identities and sanitize what information you put up here.

Disney will not hesitate to fire you.

stevehousse

Can't wait for 24 to return!

Also check out Bates Motel if u haven't yet! Great acting! My guilty pleasure show though is 2 Broke Girls! So funny...

lazyboy97o

Its a hole you fall in that you just cant climb out of.
And as part of that increased wages may not help, and a uniform increase in wages could just make things worse. Central Florida still lacks the housing supply needed to address this sort of issue. A jump in wages will only increase demand for the already constrained supply, causing prices to rise.

Omnispace

I'm not an expert on the RF chips in the Magicbands but from my experiences with similar card-based chips on transit systems and such is that you have to hold the chip close to the sensor for it to be read. Also, people make the mistake of swiping the chip when it works best being held still to be read. Unless Disney has some sort of advanced RF technology, I honestly don't see how they could have expected the MAGIC Maker features to work in such a passive way where one just walks around and this stuff Magically happens around you. Even my battery powered transponder for my FastTrak only seems to work half the time.

TalkingHead

It does seem like overkill & on the surface scummy...but let's think for a minute. Should anyone post something negative about their company in a public forum? I mean that's standard code of conduct pretty much anywhere

That's a fair point, but given what CMs put up with and the pay they receive, I think they ought to be able to say anything they please online.

Then again, if WDW management was confident in its product, then there wouldn't be any concern about some CMs badmouthing Parks and Resorts online.

It tells you a lot about TDO. Control the message at all costs.

tissandtully

BUT THEY WORK FOR DISNEY!

Honestly, the CMs knew what they were getting in for, this isn't any different than other corporations. I'd rather not have someone who wasn't even smart enough to vent privately about the brand than publicly. Apple does the same thing.

lazyboy97o

I'm not an expert on the RF chips in the Magicbands but from my experiences with similar card-based chips on transit systems and such is that you have to hold the chip close to the sensor for it to be read. Also, people make the mistake of swiping the chip when it works best being held still to be read. Unless Disney has some sort of advanced RF technology, I honestly don't see how they could have expected the MAGIC Maker features to work in such a passive way where one just walks around and this stuff Magically happens around you. Even my battery powered transponder for my FastTrak only seems to work half the time.
The MagicBands are able to be read at greater distances. That is how movement is tracked and photos are automatically added to your account.

Omnispace

Groupthink? Is that just a fancy way of saying folks agreeing with each other is a bad thing when their opinion is negative?

Interesting you would dismiss this term so casually when it perfectly describes much of what this thread has been discussing. Groupthink doesn't necessarily apply to a negative opinion/decision but one that arises from the pressures of conformity. A company that reinforces a culture of conformity is going to limit the critical process needed to arrive at the best decisions. Even a group that has a benevolent relationship, where everyone happily carries on together, can suffer from groupthink if they don't properly evaluate their decision making and look at things critically. Best to have a company where people are not afraid of losing their jobs or being held back because they spoke their own independent opinion.

Last edited:

danv3

The CMs can try to insulate themselves from getting fired when they bad mouth MM+ by also complaining about their crappy pay/working conditions. Disney won't want an NLRB case on their hands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom