Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I still stay they should close Muppets down and use that area for Star Wars Land - that way Star Tours would be connected to the land. That way you would have at least four rides and plenty of dining. The peoplemover attraction being cut from the land was huge. they have no idea the kind of crowds this will bring in. Way to small.

Disney's only interest in Star Wars is pushing consumer products, The 'Merchandising' scene from Spaceballs perfectly illustrates Disney's interest. I agree Disney has no concept of the crowds this will draw INITIALLY, The crowds will taper off fast when they see the half-hearted effort put forth by Disney.

In this house DW is the SW fan and she's unhappy about the decline in the SW Celebrations and the demise of SWW at WDW - we used to go in May for SWW, Now we don't go in May any longer. Disney is only interested in CHEAP profits they no longer care about delivering quality.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's why I used 2001 and 2008 as examples, But since then Disney has done everything in it's power to alienate the AP holders,Locals and DVC'ers who multiple insiders have noted Disney considers 'bad business' forgetting of course it was those same AP holders, Locals and DVC members who saved their bacon in 2001 and 2008.

DVC is only 'good business' when the members buy their points and pay their member fees otherwise Disney does not want them on property because they take up rooms that can be sold for cash. But Disney is happy to have the hotel maintenance bills paid by those same DVC members who I guess now Disney considers 'Useful Idiots'.

Funny, if that's true. Because most companies have programs that reward, in some manner, their most loyal customers. Which I would think, as a member myself, DVCers would be. More so than APs, since I have a piece of paper that gives me title to some Disney property (yeah, I know it's a condoized lease hold). Need to include shareholders, but they do get appreciation from the company.... dividends. Oh, and they're owners, not customers...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disney's only interest in Star Wars is pushing consumer products, The 'Merchandising' scene from Spaceballs perfectly illustrates Disney's interest. I agree Disney has no concept of the crowds this will draw INITIALLY, The crowds will taper off fast when they see the half-hearted effort put forth by Disney.

In this house DW is the SW fan and she's unhappy about the decline in the SW Celebrations and the demise of SWW at WDW - we used to go in May for SWW, Now we don't go in May any longer. Disney is only interested in CHEAP profits they no longer care about delivering quality.

I tolerated the heat and crowds of Memorial Day weekend to attend SWW. Had to cancel my trip this past May (and scramble to use my DVC points) when they announced SWW would be no more. Thank god my now son in law, the other SW geek in the family, was able to participate in his first (and WDW's last) weekend.

HauntedMansionFLA

I tolerated the heat and crowds of Memorial Day weekend to attend SWW. Had to cancel my trip this past May (and scramble to use my DVC points) when they announced SWW would be no more. Thank god my now son in law, the other SW geek in the family, was able to participate in his first (and WDW's last) weekend.
Were you there when Mark Hamill was attending the event? Mistake getting rid of SWW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Funny, if that's true. Because most companies have programs that reward, in some manner, their most loyal customers. Which I would think, as a member myself, DVCers would be. More so than APs, since I have a piece of paper that gives me title to some Disney property (yeah, I know it's a condoized lease hold). Need to include shareholders, but they do get appreciation from the company.... dividends. Oh, and they're owners, not customers...

When was the LAST time Disney did something substantial for DVC members (besides cut perks) and you will have your answer.

DVC has been playing games with breakage for a while now when you can't get a room at 11 months yet it's readily available for cash (I'm not talking 'value' rooms here) something ODD is going on. In this same period the 'no questions' annual meeting has also hit. The unstated message is Disney is no longer accountable to the membership and they are doing the legal minimum in disclosure.

LAKid53

Premium Member
When was the LAST time Disney did something substantial for DVC members (besides cut perks) and you will have your answer.

DVC has been playing games with breakage for a while now when you can't get a room at 11 months yet it's readily available for cash (I'm not talking 'value' rooms here) something ODD is going on. In this same period the 'no questions' annual meeting has also hit. The unstated message is Disney is no longer accountable to the membership and they are doing the legal minimum in disclosure.

Disagree about the 11 month window for my home resort. Disney can only release a percentage of DVC rooms for cash, and those come from regular Disney Travel, not DVC. Remember, Disney is prohibited by statute from selling 100% of the DVC resorts. If I remember, I believe the hold back is at least 2-3%.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disagree about the 11 month window for my home resort. Disney can only release a percentage of DVC rooms for cash, and those come from regular Disney Travel, not DVC. Remember, Disney is prohibited by statute from selling 100% of the DVC resorts. If I remember, I believe the hold back is at least 2-3%.

Try getting a 2 BR or GV at AKL at 11 months

NothingRhymeswithOrange

Isn't that the truth! I've tried for about 4 years now to get Boardwalk/Beach Club around F&W time and have failed miserably. Home Resort is the Grand Floridian and in the 4 years I have had DVC I have not been able to get a room once for the times I've wanted to go. I am finally staying there for my trip in January only because I booked a one bedroom. Standard rooms of course were unavailable, EVEN AT THE 11 MONTH MARK!

oceanbreeze77

With TWO count em TWO rides people who are expecting a fully immersive SW experience are going to be fearfully disappointed.
Thats the thing that I'm not looking forward to. For example we just got Hogshead here in LA and yes it is STUNNING and i love harry potter, but besides the two rides theres not much to do but walk around. I hate themed areas where all you can do is walk around

LAKid53

Premium Member

I've never had a problem getting a 2 bedroom at either of my home resorts...GF and WL. Both are some of the, if not the, smallest DVC resorts. My problem? I've used up all my points for 2016 and 2017 due to my daughter's wedding in February. That 6 night stay in a 2 bedroom at GF was a black hole, point wise

seabreezept813

I think these changes at HS or whatever it will be called will push families away. My family enjoys Star Wars, but it's not what we go to Disney for, and we don't need to go to a kiddie park even if the theme is Toy Story. Altering the Great Movie Ride or Tower will seal the deal. The theme of classic Hollywood has timeless appeal, whereas IPs jumbled together does not. I just couldn't imagine a future where Muppets and Indy are safe, but GMR and ToT are not.

Mike S

With TWO count em TWO rides people who are expecting a fully immersive SW experience are going to be fearfully disappointed.

You have got to be kidding. Other than the cut Bantha PeopleMover nothing about SWL screams cheap or half hearted. We are getting two large scale rides in one new fully immersive land. Seems pretty similar to MK's Frontierland and DL's NOS if you ask me and no one complains about those. Last I checked each Potter land only had one of those kinds of rides each. By all means criticize where it's deserved but that's not the case with SWL unless you're talking Banthas.

CinematicFusion

Does Disney have to pay royalty rights for using Twilight Zone? I'm not sure how any of that works and I'm sure I'm way off base. But if a contract was set to expire and Disney needed to renegotiate the rights to use the Twilight Zone IP, it might be better for them to change the Tower to something else they own.

It's the only reason I could see them changing it. It's a great ride with a great theme. I wouldn't touch it.

MagicHappens1971

Does Disney have to pay royalty rights for using Twilight Zone? I'm not sure how any of that works and I'm sure I'm way off base. But if a contract was set to expire and Disney needed to renegotiate the rights to use the Twilight Zone IP, it might be better for them to change the Tower to something else they own.

It's the only reason I could see them changing it. It's a great ride with a great theme. I wouldn't touch it.
Just a disclaimer, this is to my knowledge and I'm not sure if it's all 100% accurate, it's just what I've read here. To my understanding Disney licenses the rights from CBS for Twilight Zone, so yes they do pay for the rights. The contract for DL expired so Disney chose to put GOTG in DCA's TOT.

lazyboy97o

Just a disclaimer, this is to my knowledge and I'm not sure if it's all 100% accurate, it's just what I've read here. To my understanding Disney licenses the rights from CBS for Twilight Zone, so yes they do pay for the rights. The contract for DL expired so Disney chose to put GOTG in DCA's TOT.
The licensing deal is completely irrelevant. Just made up excuses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom