Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

articos

With TWO count em TWO rides people who are expecting a fully immersive SW experience are going to be fearfully disappointed.
I'd say SW will be immersive in art direction to a point guests and fans will be very pleased. Take a look at Avatar's environment, which is direct response to Potter stepping it up. Attraction count, well, there is room to expand, but budget rules all.
Does Disney have to pay royalty rights for using Twilight Zone? I'm not sure how any of that works and I'm sure I'm way off base. But if a contract was set to expire and Disney needed to renegotiate the rights to use the Twilight Zone IP, it might be better for them to change the Tower to something else they own.

It's the only reason I could see them changing it. It's a great ride with a great theme. I wouldn't touch it.
Yes, Disney pays to use TZ.

Cesar R M

So I know disney is going to get droves of people when SW land opens and I know the execs are counting on it, but my god I PRAY this comes back to bite them in the booty and no one shows up, and sales plummet, and disney dies.

*I am obsessed with disney and have loved it for years but they need to learn a lesson.*
They would just probably fire a ton of employees, rework their PR to make it still the best opening ever.. and then pat themselves in the back as they drop out from Disney in a golden parachute.
The only ones losing will be the fans, the CMs and Disney parks.

Cesar R M

You have got to be kidding. Other than the cut Bantha PeopleMover nothing about SWL screams cheap or half hearted. We are getting two large scale rides in one new fully immersive land. Seems pretty similar to MK's Frontierland and DL's NOS if you ask me and no one complains about those. Last I checked each Potter land only had one of those kinds of rides each. By all means criticize where it's deserved but that's not the case with SWL unless you're talking Banthas.
I just hope star wars land as something nice like to rival Ollivanders.

doctornick

Nothing more at present. But much has already been talked about here ... from the Fantasyland expansion with Frozen E-Ticket (also headed for TDS) among multiple attractions ... to the Captain America coaster hybrid for DCA among multiple attractions.

Anaheim is now in a place where constantly new product will be coming on an annual basis. Whether you like it ... or whether it is in the right place (and I fundamentally do not believe SW or Marvel are being handled in their best interests or the best interests of the resort's future) those are personal feelings.

But hey ... WDW did get Frozenstrom, right? Oh, and they borrowed SDL's new Soarin film too! And let's not forget Tiffins and Ample Hill Creamery. And how about that new Flying Fish menu that only took off the two most popular items that the place has been known for the last two decades? And I saw a headline here that the foam heads in the stage show will get seasonal costumes. And that is absolutely reason enough to blow $8,000 on a MAGICal week at Da World. Oh wait ... I am ranting and I am supposed to be on holiday!

This seems disingenuous. Yes, WDW has been stagnating and only getting subpar additions in recent years... but the same can be said for DLR! Since Cars Land, DLR has only gotten some minimal overlays (new Soarin', Hyperspace Mountain, etc.) and the change of Luigi's. And, yes, it's fantastic that DLR has some additions planned for upcoming years, but so does WDW -- Pandora, TSL, Star Wars, plus apparently some stuff like the Mickey ride replacing GMR or GotG replacing UoE. ISn't the Captain America ride going into the backlot area of DCA where it will be replacing the Monsters Inc ride?

Seems to me that both coasts have similar levels of builds finally planned after both had years of stagnation.

V_L_Raptor

When I was ten, I would've picked EPCOT in a heartbeat. I think lots of ten year olds would pick a modern EPCOT over last week's space pulp any day. As attests the ever rising popularity of science museums, of popular children's exhibits in museums, and the insatiable appetite of ten year old boys for anything relating to dinosaurs/planets/space/wonders of the world or of technology.

You could've fooled me. Science museums in some markets may be gaining in popularity, but in others, they're stagnating or falling behind. (MOSI in Tampa is a fabulous example. They're trying harder now, but for a very long time, the story wasn't a celebration at all.) It's rather telling that, aside from some notable exceptions (Chicago's MSI-produced Mythbusters exhibit, for one), the market for traveling/temporary exhibitions has practically fallen out. Pittsburgh's Carnegie Science Center converted its large temporary exhibition gallery to a permanent exhibit on robotics, and I'm hard pressed to find anything about traveling exhibitions anywhere on the museum website. (What's more, much of the robotics exhibit is a re-hash of a robotics exhibit they showed when I was still in high school. The current Zap! Surgery exhibit was new when I was an intern after my freshman year of undergrad. That was... oh, a good, long while ago. Even then, the space would sit empty for extended periods of time with only some giant, playable chessboards or checkerboards available to the public. Not good.) This after a history of elaborate exhibits that traveled the country on actual touring sequences (Pittsburgh was always after Columbus), instead of something being developed at some institution and maybe showing up nearby somewhere possibly-maybe-if-some-grants-or-membership-sales-campaigns-etc-etc-etc. In many places (MOSI, I'm looking at you), permanent exhibitions become permanently under-maintained exhibitions, and anyone following WDW problems can recite the evils of same.

Careful of that "insatiable appetite of ten year old boys." If more girls were told and shown that they were allowed to have (or maybe show) that insatiable appetite, the stereotype wouldn't exist. Parity ain't anywhere near there yet.

What kills me is that Future World wasn't a science center to begin with. Were there elements of interactive, science-center-style exhibitry around? Sure. Almost all of Communicore, the Image Works (not so didactic, that), the more expository rooms in Seabase Alpha, and several of the items in Wonders of Life (some of which seem to have been lifted from the Exploratorium Cookbook). So very much beyond that, though, wasn't anything of the sort. Horizons wasn't a science center exhibit. Listen to/Living with the Land, nope. SSE, absolutely not. Future World fed something well beyond what the local science center could, but it certainly could send a kid rolling over to the museum (or, for that matter, the library). I think I mourn the loss of that difference as much as anything else. Future World was its own thing, and it doesn't now (nor really ever did) duplicate anything a museum could do. It never needed to!

tirian

Does Disney have to pay royalty rights for using Twilight Zone? I'm not sure how any of that works and I'm sure I'm way off base. But if a contract was set to expire and Disney needed to renegotiate the rights to use the Twilight Zone IP, it might be better for them to change the Tower to something else they own.

It's the only reason I could see them changing it. It's a great ride with a great theme. I wouldn't touch it.
The rights are dirt-cheap.

ogryn

Perhaps even use the theme they've already come up with? http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Tower_of_Terror_(Tokyo_DisneySea)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You have got to be kidding. Other than the cut Bantha PeopleMover nothing about SWL screams cheap or half hearted. We are getting two large scale rides in one new fully immersive land. Seems pretty similar to MK's Frontierland and DL's NOS if you ask me and no one complains about those. Last I checked each Potter land only had one of those kinds of rides each. By all means criticize where it's deserved but that's not the case with SWL unless you're talking Banthas.

I like you @Mike S, But I'm going to assume that SWL is going to get the NFL treatment AMAZING concept art, 'Meh' execution missing most of what was in the concept art. Disney has done NOTHING recently that would indicate otherwise.

Heck insiders have noted that TSL has been trimmed way way back for 'budget' reasons and that's off the shelf rides with minimal theming. Based on that what do you really expect SWL to be. I expect it to be a value-engineered shell of what it COULD have been. Disney will market the heck out of it expecting the crowds to lap it up becuz teh Star Wars...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom