Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

D23 will be here in just a few months. I'm hoping for more information for Avatar Land (some concept artwork would be nice) and expansion news for DHS.

We all hope that. Heck, it would be nice if it were something beyond just concept art (like some models or even ride equipment) but I think people would generally be happy having some announced plans and having construction start. Things can still get derailed at that point, but it would at least make expansions at DA and DHS more likely.

Sue_Vongello

We all hope that. Heck, it would be nice if it were something beyond just concept art (like some models or even ride equipment) but I think people would generally be happy having some announced plans and having construction start. Things can still get derailed at that point, but it would at least make expansions at DA and DHS more likely.

And how about with those plans ACTUAL FIRM DATES of when to expect things ...

Californian Elitist

Models would be GREAT. I'd love to see models and ride vehicles, but I think ride vehicles usually come after the concept art. I went to the Expo two years ago and a model of Mater's and the Mine Train were both on display. There was concept art available, though. But you never know.

Figments Friend

I can't completely agree with that. In order for people to care about Avatar they first must know what it is. Unlike HP the franchise is not universally known. It may be alright, I don't know. Just from what I have seen here and read here it has not sparked even the slightest amount of interest in me. To me it's just random Sci-Fi!

I would say that the main attraction for this area themed to the Avatar film(s) is the themed environment.

A lot of people are looking at this project with their focus on only two main standpoints: The liking or disliking of the story or characters portrayed in the film, and what high tech rides we may be getting out of it.
By focusing on just those aspects they are missing what , in my opinion, is the true mindblowing potential *attraction* of the project, and that is the themed world of Pandora.

This fictional planets amazing look (particularly at night) is stunning and if WDI can come up with a way to accurately capture the mood and feel of that environment i am positive it will be a nice plus to DAK.
It will be a unique, additonal *world* to explore at DAK.

Appreciating that otherworldly experience can be enjoyed by anyone, even if they are completely unfamiliar with the films or even outright despise them. Even the biggest haters of the *Avatar* film agreed that the sweeping Pandorian landscapes were glorious eye candy.

Now of course...we must trust that WDI and TDO do not let the Avatar addition just be THAT alone...just *eye candy*...with no substance....ala WDWs *New FantasyLand*.

The trick is seeing how WDI and James Cameron are going to be able to translate that fabulous organic fantasy world into a real place without any shortcuts.

We shall see.

;)

Goofyernmost

I would say that the main attraction for this area themed to the Avatar film(s) is the themed environment.

A lot of people are looking at this project from only the standpoint of the characters in the film, and what rides we are getting out of it.
They are missed what , in my opinion, is the true mindblowing potential *attraction* of the project, and that is the themed world of Pandora.

This fictional planets amazing look (particularly at night) is stunning and if WDI can come up with a way to accurately capture the mood and feel of that environment i am positive it will be a nice plus to DAK.
It will be a unique, additonal *world* to explore at DAK.

Appreciating that otherworldly experience can be enjoyed by anyone, even if they are completely unfamiliar with the films or even outright despise them. Even the biggest haters of the *Avatar* film agreed that the sweeping Pandorian landscapes were glorious eye candy.

Now of course...we must trust that WDI and TDO do not let the Avatar addition just be THAT alone...just *eye candy*...with no substance....ala WDWs *New FantasyLand*.

The trick is seeing how WDI and James Cameron are going to be able to translate that fabulous organic fantasy world into a real place.
I totally get what you are saying, but, we were talking about how much of a draw it would be compared to HP. I'm sure it will have some winning things, if they do it right, (highly doubtful). I don't think that there were be hordes of people lining up just to see it. If it is spectacular enough then word of mouth will promote it, but that will be after the fact and there is no telling how long that will take.

BryceM

Quick thought on Springfield, USA: it's a DM food court.

I'm not impressed
Did you not walk into Moe's? It looks amazing.

I think we should wait until the land is fully complete before we all deem it as a just a food court. Personally, I do agree about the Fast Food Boulevard section. It is a food court, and it's nothing too impressive. At least there are themed facades inside though and plenty of options, ranging from a fried chicken waffle sandwich to health options such as wraps, vegetarian pizza, etc.

BryceM

Wasn't that what that part was always supposed to be?

And it's only half done, right? The waterfront isn't completed.
Yes, it's definitely not complete. There a ton more elements yet to be added, including the waterfront area and the new ride.

Figments Friend

I totally get what you are saying, but, we were talking about how much of a draw it would be compared to HP. I'm sure it will have some winning things, if they do it right, (highly doubtful). I don't think that there were be hordes of people lining up just to see it. If it is spectacular enough then word of mouth will promote it, but that will be after the fact and there is no telling how long that will take.

Yes, it is understandable how when comparing the two franchises a Potter themed area would be more likely to attract visitors solely based on the already established *brand name awareness* of Harry Potter. Also, for a theme park like Universal, the Potter property instantly appeals to their target demographic while a Avatar based themed environment may not have such instant appeal.

I would like to have faith that the latter point above in your quote is what will happen, but i think we both agree that the Potter properties will be pulling in the numbers for several years now in the future and that is solely based on just the brand name.

Sue_Vongello

Yes, it is understandable how when comparing the two franchises a Potter themed area would be more likely to attract visitors solely based on the already established *brand name awareness* of Harry Potter. Also, for a theme park like Universal, the Potter property instantly appeals to their target demographic while a Avatar based themed environment may not have such instant appeal.

I would like to have faith that the latter point above in your quote is what will happen, but i think we both agree that the Potter properties will be pulling in the numbers for several years now in the future and that is solely based on just the brand name.

If only Disney had a brand name property or properties they could use to build an attraction/land out of that could draw crowds ...

Figments Friend

They have PLENTY....but for some strange reason, they feel they have to keep buying up *others*....

Why do they have that confused opinion of their own world famous, generational embraced properties..?
Why such lack of faith in their own offerings?

It used to be the other way around...

twebber55

i cant think of a better IP in terms of theme that fits DAK better than avatar just my opinion...the movie is all about conservation and living in harmony with nature...has avatar had teh longevity of success that HP has of course not but its also just starting with more movies to come

flynnibus

Premium Member
Gosh, six and five rides. SMH, for the price paid, there should be WAY more things to do.

There is.. it's just not a 'ride' park. There are numerous attractions... shows... exhibits.. the nature trails... etc. The three non-MK parks in WDW rely heavily on shows and presentations.

Californian Elitist

There is.. it's just not a 'ride' park. There are numerous attractions... shows... exhibits.. the nature trails... etc. The three non-MK parks in WDW rely heavily on shows and presentations.

In saying that, do you yourself think the ticket prices for DAK and DHS are well justified?

lazyboy97o

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but thought it was worth mentioning. In this Disney Parks Blog article, DHS is referred to as Disney Hollywood Studios as opposed to the possessive, Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's very likely a typo, but it had been speculated after DCA eliminated the possessive.
It's been a common mistake since the name change from Disney-MGM Studios, but the change for both "Disney's" parks at Walt Disney World wouldn't surprised me

flynnibus

Premium Member
In saying that, do you yourself think the ticket prices for DAK and DHS are well justified?

I'll answer in a slightly horizontal way.. I think DAK demanding ticket prices similar to the other WDW theme parks is valid and justifable.

Think of it this way... which do you think costs more to start and maintain... a fake jungle of plastic monkeys.. or a fabricated jungle full of real monkeys that you can get close to and observe?

DAK justifies itself in providing excellent entertainment -- it just so happens that not all people are interested in the form of entertainment DAK offers. The type of entertainment DAK offers is expensive to produce - so I think it's price compared to another park that may be more busy with more physical experiences is justifiable.

Now if the WDW ticket prices in general are justifiable... a different topic. And generally I find them hard to swallow.

Californian Elitist

I'll answer in a slightly horizontal way.. I think DAK demanding ticket prices similar to the other WDW theme parks is valid and justifable.

Think of it this way... which do you think costs more to start and maintain... a fake jungle of plastic monkeys.. or a fabricated jungle full of real monkeys that you can get close to and observe?

DAK justifies itself in providing excellent entertainment -- it just so happens that not all people are interested in the form of entertainment DAK offers. The type of entertainment DAK offers is expensive to produce - so I think it's price compared to another park that may be more busy with more physical experiences is justifiable.

Now if the WDW ticket prices in general are justifiable... a different topic. And generally I find them hard to swallow.

Makes sense. Now what about DHS? How do you feel about the ticket price for that park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom