Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm in Belgium right now and the news channels have actual news!

If the rest of the world can do it, why can't the U.S.?

For the same reason WDW theme parks are shells of their former selves.

Belgium? I like Brussels ...beautiful city, great food.

As to your point, I've long said that you wouldn't be able go Wal-Mart WDW if you hadn't of Walmarted the country first.

and I thought you were at WDW?:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've always thought this combination would make for the best PotC (and the best SplashMtn) on the planet, but I'd never seen the concept art before -- good grief, that would've been awesome.

Would have been better than the art ...I do wonder how much of that attraction will wind up in Shanghai.

Kuhio

I recently visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco (much recommended for any Disney fan), and what impressed me most about what I learned wasn't Walt Disney's incredible imagination and acumen for both business and art, but his willingness to take risks and to stand behind his convictions, even in the face of overwhelming uncertainty.

It's kind of hard coming back to the reality of "Disney parks" today after seeing the courage and confidence that was exemplified by the Company's early decisions in both animation and themed entertainment.

In the context of what the WDC accomplished under Walt's guidance, and even for several decades after his passing, the Company's current complacency and even abject spinelessness -- especially as it relates to the stateside parks -- is heartbreaking.

ParentsOf4

Belgium? I like Brussels ...beautiful city, great food.

As to your point, I've long said that you wouldn't be able go Wal-Mart WDW if you hadn't of Walmarted the country first.

and I thought you were at WDW?:)
Nope, WDW and Uni was last week. The trip before that it was London. The trip before that ...

All these updated European hotels with "rooms by IKEA" :rolleyes: are starting to wear on me. And the rooms are all the size of my master bathroom at home. Seriously.

At least they all have showers now, not like the old days when I had to wash-up in bathtubs. And air conditioning vs. throw-open-a-window-and-listen-to-the-street-traffic-all-night-long. Great for jet lag.

Whoever picked the décor for BLT spent way too much time in modernized European hotels. It's really depressing staying in a BLT room; I don't think I'll ever do it again.

It's why AKV is an awesome resort!

bubbles1812

Neither spirited or quick anymore. I think the topic changed to kids with autism visiting WDW...I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried:)
Yeah... That thread tangent is by far the oddest (not the content of it but just where it is located and how people managed to get to that topic). It's also the defacto GAC thread apparently since the official one went bye-bye yesterday. I'm staying out of that convo going currently lol. It's already bad and can only go downhill further.

Captain Neo

That's just dumb. It wouldn't help the US parks at all ...and many if us love the international parks. Oh, and that's leaving out their respective locals.

Dumb.

Disneyland Paris is a shadow of what it once was, DSP is a ghetto and HKDL doesn't impress me at all even with the recent upgrades. Only a tiny bit has been shown of Shanghai but it seems like it will end up going the same route as HKDL.

Only truely great international Disney parks are in Japan but those are operated by a separate company with their own unique slate of attractions so I don't clump them in with the others.

I don't know how you can say they don't affect the US parks when the entire "Disney Decade" fell off the rails all because Eisner had to green light that unnecessary Euro Disneyland and on top of that in the wrong location and then way overbuilt it. We could have had a fully reimagined Tomorrowland at Disneyland, Roger Rabbit rides in TPFKATD-MGMS, and Westcot. It would have been wonderful.

HMF

Are you excited about the Super Adventurers Club at Night Kingdom? Im counting the days.

Once you establish yourself as being on the take or that you are in it for profiteering you lose all credibility...
I don't think that a "Super Adventurers Club" would be good for Disney Image-wise. An Adventurers Club maybe but not a "Super Adventurers Club". (For those who have no clue what I am talking about, Look up "The return of Chef" on Wikipedia)

djlaosc

Don't be surprised to see discounting get turned up for fall and winter. Folks in Europe are already getting deals for next spring. Yep, TDO is very secure in its product.

We've already been booked up for November/December 2014 for nearly two months now! (POFQ - free QSDP, $200 gift card)

SirLink

Disneyland Paris is a shadow of what it once was, DSP is a ghetto and HKDL doesn't impress me at all even with the recent upgrades. Only a tiny bit has been shown of Shanghai but it seems like it will end up going the same route as HKDL.

Only truely great international Disney parks are in Japan but those are operated by a separate company with their own unique slate of attractions so I don't clump them in with the others.

I don't know how you can say they don't affect the US parks when the entire "Disney Decade" fell off the rails all because Eisner had to green light that unnecessary Euro Disneyland and on top of that in the wrong location and then way overbuilt it. We could have had a fully reimagined Tomorrowland at Disneyland, Roger Rabbit rides in TPFKATD-MGMS, and Westcot. It would have been wonderful.

1)Regarding DLP -Have you been? Because it feels more like Spirited Change is going in that resort. DSP needs more attractions you know like 3 of WDW parks. But Ghetto can't call it that when they are building a LPS based attraction there - non in WDW/DL yet... If your a fan of Disney Parks - all the Asian parks should have your saliva going.

2)What do you think Hong Kong and Shanghai will do they are operated by separate groups ... Shendi group for Shanghai.

3)The Disney decade fell of off the rails with the passing of Frank Wells ... a falling out with Steven Speilberg and his Amblin company, and WestCot was too costly. It would of been great if those things but it wasn't DLPR that made the BoD tense up to spending cash. It was the bloat of projects from WDI.

The Empress Lilly

Well I certainly think they were trying to duplicate what Disney has done with their 'behind the scenes...' Types of promoting upcoming things. I don't find that misguided... It's new and deserves promotion. But from those that wanted to show how behind Disney is... To the sea lovers... This was supposed to show everyone!! All really based on it being lps. I hope they manage to salvage it into something worth while... But people were really to leap without looking.
I'll plead guilty. I had high expectations of Antarctica. Hey, SEA is quality and they had hit Manta out of the ballpark!

Still don't understand how they could mess Antarctica up. Well, I think I kinda do. They employed tech for tech's sake, instead of for art's sake. The thought was 'how can we use our lps tech to make a penguin ride', instead of 'how do we make a phenomenal penguin experience and what tech best aids that'.

Kinda like WDW and its nextgen/mobile/rfid tech fixation.You need to set a goal and then deploy the needed tech, not find a tech and then try to implement it to be hip and edgy.

The Empress Lilly

Just in time for our UNI discussion, Matt Singer over at TheDissolve wrote an article on the evolution of the Universal Studios parks.
http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/24-universal-studios-florida-and-the-evolving-art-of-/
Great article. Well depressing. I have little to no desire to see any of the fifty movies out now that consist of super machines or super humans fighting other super things amidst a lot of ruination and millions of CGI particles flying around based on the latest algorithm.

Isn't UNI like a summer popcorn blockbuster? Very impressive, very flashy, but ultimately lacking in substance?

Goofyernmost

Neither spirited or quick anymore. I think the topic changed to kids with autism visiting WDW...I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried:)
I'm of the impression that the only reason why that happened was because Mom closed the GAC thread. On accounta peoples was gitten mean. Yes, it is an explosive subject especially with people that do not take the time to understand what is being said and automatically come out swinging when they see one word that they feel threatens them. Oh, well! If good ole Spirit were to be the instigator...wouldn't we all feel that it was a valid discussion topic?o_O

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'll plead guilty. I had high expectations of Antarctica. Hey, SEA is quality and they had hit Manta out of the ballpark!

Still don't understand how they could mess Antarctica up. Well, I think I kinda do. They employed tech for tech's sake, instead of for art's sake. The thought was 'how can we use our lps tech to make a penguin ride', instead of 'how do we make a phenomenal penguin experience and what tech best aids that'.

Kinda like WDW and its nextgen/mobile/rfid tech fixation.You need to set a goal and then deploy the needed tech, not find a tech and then try to implement it.

Well put on the use of technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom