Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

Seriously though, let's hear about HKDL. How come it didn't receive one of the dioramas from Disneyland's Railroad and Paris and Tokyo did? Does it even have a railroad?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, I'd also be remiss if I didn't congratulate the good folks at TDO as they start parking lot construction on their shoppjng/lifestyle center. I think I speak for all the sane fans out there when I say ...yawn ... Zzzzzzzzz.

manutdfan1

Why no Pirates in HKDL? I guess Mystic Manor is its version of HM, but was an HM-type ride supposed to be there from day 1?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seriously though, let's hear about HKDL. How come it didn't receive one of the dioramas from Disneyland's Railroad and Paris and Tokyo did? Does it even have a railroad?

Yes, it certainly has a RR. No dioramas though. And, to my knowledge, none were ever planned.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why no Pirates in HKDL? I guess Mystic Manor is its version of HM, but was an HM-type ride supposed to be there from day 1?

Pirates was never on the original menu for HK. Mansion, a clone of the DL version, was planned for the huge Adventureland and was cut very early.

scpergj

I'd rather not discuss my 'escape plans' online, especially because I fear if things truly go south in this country that suddenly the government will be revoking passports and trapping people here.

I love many countries I have visited from France to Canada, from Italy to China, from Japan to Germany ...but none as much as I love this one and I very much hope that I never HAVE to leave it ...but can come and go by choice as I do now.

I have my own escape plans, too. In case things go south too quick, I also have bug out bags and a couple of locations here in country to hunker down and re-establish from. Seriously.

RandySavage

Ok, I know I've asked this like six times, but does anyone want to play 'What was supposed to be in HKDL from Day 1?' with me?

We can play the strip version if you'd rather.:D

I'll play. The 1999 Press Release described a totally different version of the park from the one that opened in 2005 (and the key art released in the latest WDI coffee table book shows the 1999 version). It was compact, but there were six lands. There was to be a Frontierland to the northwest accessed through a fort off the hub which was anchored by two Es (Phantom Manor and a river rapids ride featuring Chimney Rock), but no Big Thunder. Adventureland had no Jungle Cruise, but a seemingly elaborate outdoor dinosaur coaster as well as an Aladdin spinner, Lion King theater, Tough to be a Bug and Adventure Isle). Tomorrowland looked to have a sci-fi version of RnR in place of Space Mtn and Paris' version of Autopia. Orbitron at center. There was a Toontown north of Fantasyland. Fantasyland may have had a Peter Pan or Mermaid dark ride planned as well. No park encircling railroad in this version.

For some reason, after the major press release but before construction began, that fairly developed plan and layout was completely jettisoned for the current one. That seems very different from the DLP development path, where aside from Discoveryland which went through big changes, the park evolved pretty consistently from early concepts through completion.

Shanghai, from the little I know, has had some very different layouts and concepts, although it seems it will end up something like the leaked master plan(still crossing fingers Toy Story Land is not a part of it). Care to drop any of the latest on that park???

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why was the DL Sleeping Beauty Castle model used for their castle?

The conceit from Eisner/Pressler/WDI was that this park was going to pay homage to the original by copying its scale and look. Of course, it was much cheaper to simply pull ancient DL blueprints.

The sad thing is HKDL's castle has nothing to it. No attraction, no dining, no retail. You just walk through it, although there is some space available in it for development. How much, I can't recall.

Californian Elitist

The conceit from Eisner/Pressler/WDI was that this park was going to pay homage to the original by copying its scale and look. Of course, it was much cheaper to simply pull ancient DL blueprints.

The sad thing is HKDL's castle has nothing to it. No attraction, no dining, no retail. You just walk through it, although there is some space available in it for development. How much, I can't recall.

With Pressler in the equation, it sounds like they were just being cheap and decided to use Disneyland to justify their actions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll play. The 1999 Press Release described a totally different version of the park from the one that opened in 2005 (and the key art released in the latest WDI coffee table book shows the 1999 version). It was compact, but there were six lands. There was to be a Frontierland to the northwest accessed through a fort off the hub which was anchored by two Es (Phantom Manor and a river rapids ride featuring Chimney Rock), but no Big Thunder. Adventureland had no Jungle Cruise, but a seemingly elaborate outdoor dinosaur coaster as well as an Aladdin spinner, Lion King theater, Tough to be a Bug and Adventure Isle). Tomorrowland looked to have a sci-fi version of RnR in place of Space Mtn and Paris' version of Autopia. Orbitron at center. There was a Toontown north of Fantasyland. Fantasyland may have had a Peter Pan or Mermaid dark ride planned as well. No park encircling railroad in this version.

For some reason, after the major press release but before construction began, that fairly developed plan and layout was completely jettisoned for the current one. That seems very different from the DLP development path, where aside from Discoveryland which went through big changes, the park evolved pretty consistently from early concepts through completion.

Shanghai, from the little I know, has had some very different layouts and concepts, although it seems it will end up something like the leaked master plan(still crossing fingers Toy Story Land is not a part of it). Care to drop any of the latest on that park???

The press release and kit and art never matched up with what was shown in that coffee table book and I believe that is because that art actually came before plans were firmed up and the park was announced.
I have asked at WDI and that art is from earlier, like 1997 era. Jungle Cruise, for instance, was very early decided to go in and in a unique take.

Frontierland was very small and featured the Lewis and Clark raft ride that was supposed to go in the history park in VA. There never was a plan for a Big Thunder. At some point, Phantom Manor wound up going to A-land.

Toontown was the Anaheim version minus the RRCS ride.

Both Pan and Mermaid dark rides were planned and my old pal, noted Disney gadfly Lee MacDonald of LP.com fame, has stated that there is enough room in the current Pooh and PhilharMagic show buildings for second attractions. I have never had this confirmed and in just looking at the buildings, it seems impossible. I believe he said there was room for another attraction in the Buzz building as well.

Interesting discussion, but the real world calls ...I'll see you all a little later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom