Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why do I get the feeling that if the Watergate scandal happened today, Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward would be branded domestic terrorists, Be on the run from Federal agencies and Fox News would be calling for them to be water-boarded.

Because that is exactly what would happen ...

Reactions: HMF

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not as tiny as it used to be. Chinese visitors are to TDR as Brazilians were to WDW 10 years ago. And growing.

True, but they are still an insignificant group. And, even with a growing middle class, it isn't all that easy or affordable to go abroad. I have to believe that with two Disney resorts in China soon that even those who wind up in Japan won't be looking for a Disney theme park.

Unlike say, the growing number of Indians traveling to HKDL.

the.dreamfinder

True, but they are still an insignificant group. And, even with a growing middle class, it isn't all that easy or affordable to go abroad. I have to believe that with two Disney resorts in China soon that even those who wind up in Japan won't be looking for a Disney theme park.

Unlike say, the growing number of Indians traveling to HKDL.

Any word on HKDL's new hotels?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wonder when oversaturation of Disney Park in East Asia will occur, if at all?

Do you know how many people live in China? In Asia?

Disney could build many more parks/resorts there. But it also wouldn't be smart, either. Many nations, including China, are growing large middle classes. But how viable they will be is something that will play out over decades, not a few years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Promising, so I assume that means it will be a heck of a lot better than HKDL was on opening to drag you out there? I was IN Hong Kong before all the expansions rolled out two or so years ago and didn't think it was worth my time.

Tron coaster, Pirates boat ride, the Castle boat ride and whatever that Dino raft ride is (if nothing else gets built) is probably enough to get me out there. Although I certainly hope for more.

I plan to head there May 2016 (assuming it is finished by then), so we will see if the stars align.

I think there will certainly be more to SDL when it opens than HKDL. How worthy it will be of our time and money is yet to be seen. I didn't see HKDL until the summer of 2008 when I visited while living in Beijing. By that time, I felt it was worthy of one full day if you took your time and saw all the entertainment. By the time I went back in 2010 (I was living in HK at the time) it truly had the makings of a quality destination resort. That was before they got a brand new parade and three new lands (or mini-lands).

I think SDL at opening is going to be on par with HKDL today, in terms of offerings.

the.dreamfinder

Do you know how many people live in China? In Asia?

Disney could build many more parks/resorts there. But it also wouldn't be smart, either. Many nations, including China, are growing large middle classes. But how viable they will be is something that will play out over decades, not a few years.

China 1.3 billion
East Asia 2 billion+

WDW1974

Original Poster
:Simply Venting Here: I get so irritated that now that box office numbers are thrown around like Vegas gambling that everyone thinks that they are some expert and understands how the business works. Ugh. SMH. Some of us actually know how the industry works, but to hell with us because everyone is an expert.

No, everyone isn't an expert. I don't consider myself one and I have family and friends in the business. ...when something is wrong I try and correct it, you should too!

WDW1974

Original Poster
All of this is DEAD ON. Seriously, I've been thinking a lot about this: what are the other options? Are you considering another country for residence, and if so, where are you looking? I'm doing research right now, but it's enough to make your head spin off.

I'd rather not discuss my 'escape plans' online, especially because I fear if things truly go south in this country that suddenly the government will be revoking passports and trapping people here.

I love many countries I have visited from France to Canada, from Italy to China, from Japan to Germany ...but none as much as I love this one and I very much hope that I never HAVE to leave it ...but can come and go by choice as I do now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am working on confirming where some of the new ones have taken up home.

The list thus far is
~Europe in the Air canned indefinitely
~Fewer registers all around open
~Two large shows canned for Illuminights
~One slapped together for Illuminights
~No theme cohesion for Illuminights; tacky cheap decor thrown around
~Cuts for HoS and XmasTown have occurred
~More cuts for the two of those events are inbound
~Layoffs
~Some food price increase
~Reduced ride vehicles in operation
~AC temps turned up
~Working on confirming reports of landscaping crew cutbacks
~Working on confirmation of what exactly the round of cuts that just came will affect
~Other sources are expecting sale sooner than later
~WCUSA has pretty much had its expansions canned
~BGW has pretty much had its expansions canned

I know I am forgetting some.

VERY,very depressing. I would like to think that this is all temporary (which it likely is) until new ownership comes in. But I just fell in love with that park (thanks to a few friends!!!) and it saddens me to hear them basically pulling a TDO on the place.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Are you talking about the Harlem Shake? That is older than the hills and was popular when I was in high school ten years ago. I dont even know why it became a big internet joke all of a sudden now. It's not even that funny.

Yes, that would be it.

Diane Sawyer and her producers thought it was worth airtime tonight.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any word on HKDL's new hotels?

Only one right now. Not sure of the theme, although the Toy Story themed one from SDL has been rumoured. Let's hope that isn't happening. The land is already prepared and sitting between the HKDL and Hollywood hotels. I think you'll see construction by next year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The CPSMC have started actively tweeting and blogging about Tokyo Disney Resort and the cool stuff they're getting. Meanwhile on the domestic end, Candlelight Processional Packages, Food and Wine, free dining, and tribute bands.

Magical.

I can't help but believe @WDWFigment 's trip'photos might have played a factor in that. I can almost bet that no one on the Parks Blog staff that is based in Celebration has actually ever been to TDR.

Reactions: HMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom