Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Panther

That's not how the math works in the movies.

Disney spent close to $500 million on the film, including marketing. Paramount Pictures gets nine percent of the gross. Distribution costs as well. Disney also had a revenue sharing deal with a Chinese company that allowed the film to get major play over there.

As of about July 1st, Disney's profits on the film were about $125 million.

Now, do you get why this big budget/tentpole strategy is a disaster?

Was "Wreck-It-Ralph" really not profitable? If so, that is sad. It's the best thing to come out of WDFA for quite some time...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just wanted to add that I thought Pacific Rim was fantastic. Most "fun" I've had in a movie this year.

The fact that people supported a poor formulaic sequel, Grown Ups 2, over it this weekend further makes me question our society.

I also believe it is the same narrow minded thinking that finds The Lone Ranger to be the same as POTC that believes that Pacific Rim is Transformers.

Not really ... Much of the Lone Ranger is really Pirates 5 crap is coming from people who saw Pirates 1-4. I haven't seen Transformers. I haven't seen Pacific Rim. The trailers for PR very much remind me of Transformers, one reason I don't have interest in it. I have a real hard time watching a trailer from TLR and thinking 'yeah, Depp's in this so it really is just another Pirates movie.'

Magenta Panther

I was simply comparing the cost vs. other top oil producers. Look at what gas costs in Venezuela or most nations in the Middle East.

When I about gas prices, I have friends in the UK who give me the comparison. Of course, in most of Europe you don't need a car to live and live a high quality life. I have friends over there who use their cars a few times a month. Try that in the USA where you'll pry these keys out of my cold, dead hands.

Sure wish we had monorails here in the Real World. If Walt could come back today, I think he'd be damned surprised that we don't.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's hoping Pacific Rim's good word of mouth carries it. I don't think many parent will let their kids see a film where a character is castrated.

Why?

I don't see parents worried about raising their kids in a nation that is basically under martial law where the Constitution that governs us has been castrated. That, to me, is a bigger issue.

the.dreamfinder

Why?

I don't see parents worried about raising their kids in a nation that is basically under martial law where the Constitution that governs us has been castrated. That, to me, is a bigger issue.

I agree, maybe if morning news shows actually covered... um... the news then those parents would be concerned. But GMA and the Today show have dumb blondie reading the "heat index", missing rich white girl, Paula Deen crying etc. For a lot of folks, the morning news is the only news they get in the day and yet no one seems to care how vapid it has become.

crispy

Fastpass slap fight.

hC4374112

I laughed at this, but if you post a picture of a cute cat saying, "I can haz fastpass" I may have to have a slap fight with you. :p

Cardinals314

I agree, maybe if morning news shows actually covered... um... the news then those parents would be concerned. But GMA and the Today show have dumb blondie reading the "heat index", missing rich white girl, Paula Deen crying etc. For a lot of folks, the morning news is the only news they get in the day and yet no one seems to care how vapid it has become.

What's sad is that GMA and Today Show have that kind of content because that's the only way to entice viewers to watch their program. It goes to show that the media has to adapt to the low news standards of its viewers in order to keep the number of viewers from decreasing. It's a shame that many people care more about celebrity and reality tv news than actual current events that have effects on society

WDWFigment

Spirited Weekend Musings II:

Please hold on a sec ... My house seems to be floating away.

Do you know how many lobbyists WDW Co. employs in Tallahassee? Over 30. Does anyone want to argue that is in the best interests of Floridians?

This would have been a great weekend to sleep through or take a plane to Las Vegas. I did neither. Guess which Dwarf that makes me now?

Adam Sandler, you were a talented young guy on SNL. And your hot wife used to be very nice to me in her cheerleading days...but it would seem that your chances of making a good film anymore are up there with the chances a fanboi can find true love with an Imagineer and my chances of ever trusting a President again.

Gee, did anyone see those surveyors out at IOA a few days ago?

OK, I admit it ... I have thought about it and continue to do so.

OK, so like @Lee and I intend to be at the opening of Shanghai DL in 2015 or 2016 or wherever those Commies, God bless them, decide to open the place. I say we have a MAGICal meet because none of those Lifestyler losers will be there? Who's in? C'mon at @WDWFigment, you know you want to! Maybe @The Mom can handle the sign up sheet.

Blackberry cobbler is my favorite. Peach is right behind.

Can't we have one thread with a newbie talking about now packed WDW has been ... Just one?

I think one thing that turned me off Disney fans was armchair imagineering. No, Horizons isn't coming to the MK with Small World going to EPCOT and no fifth gate is ever happening unless that's a prison gate.

Sure sounds like the sale of BGW (sans BGT) is imminent.

Don't read a thing into the newest wrinkles in MM+ (the 'up to four' FPs or the removal of tiers of attractions) as they still haven't got a clue how this system is going to work. It's like the CP gang came up with it.

Do I swim to the cinema tonight or simply accept that like having quality show standards at WDW, it just isn't meant to be?

Was that Tonto on the cover of Rolling Stone?

Why does no one in FL know how to drive in the rain? Oh yeah, because no one in FL knows how to drive at all.

If you think you're too good to dine at a Denny's let me assure of two things: you aren't and I don't think I'd want to know you.

Remember when you cared it was baseball season? Yeah, me neither.

We have every intent of being in Shanghai for opening day. Assuming we don't unexpectedly have kids or something else gets in the way.

Who knows if there will ever be another opening day in our lifetimes. Might as well see one. And I'd love to go to Shanghai.

Cosmic Commando

The story of Peter Pan itself is very popular. It's about adventure, childhood and staying a kid forever. Forever young. Peter Pan's theme appeals to pretty much everyone. That's one reason the ride is so popular.

The ride suspends you... It is unlike any other dark ride and it is probably the most unique. You feel like you're flying and it's a happy ride. The other dark rides are scary. When I worked at Disneyland, the only two rides I didn't see children come crying off of we're Alice and Pan. The other three, Pinocchio, Snow and Toad ALWAYS had children screaming and crying, especially Snow. Pan is happy. I always had guests begging me to let them ride again. The others... People were vowing never again.
A ride that tries to entertain and delight you instead of terrifying you? How novel! It reminds me of the difference between the attractions with the "nice" smellitzers and the "not so nice" smellitzers: on one side you have Soarin', DCA Monsters, Philharmagic; on the other side you have Stitch, ITTBAB and Imagination 3.0. Maybe just be nice to the riders? :confused:

Hey Everyone who wanted to read that crazy lady's Sara Strand's Blogs (including @WDW1974)

Here's the google cache links:

Day 1 Where she hates on MK

Day 2 Where she Rants on Epcot

Somewhere lost in her racism, homophobia and xenophobia is the underlying point (I guess) that Disney is an utter pain the the for the uninitiated and ill-prepared. It is not for the 1D1P or 2D1P guests anymore; it is a true vacation destination that takes days and planning to be able to do anything. Which is awfully sad....
Thank you for finding those... it was a trip. She said that her son wouldn't "fit" on any ride other than Test Track and SSE enough times that I think she thought she was being literal. It was amusing how it seems like they almost went out of their way to avoid any rides (the parts of theme parks that most people enjoy the most). They seem to have started World Showcase in Canada... and gave up on WS halfway through. They did Captain EO, watched the fountains, needed to get out of the rain... and went into the Imageworks. Talk about ill-prepared! Did they run out of park maps that day?

Well, first, Disney has always been cheap, she was just getting ripped off unfairly because Disney has a special upcharge for people with larger um...assets.

Just like a $30 a night hotel is always going to be clean and well kept.

Duh...don't you ever travel anywhere? Everyone effing knows this.

<grin>
Forget about the cleanliness! She seemed miffed that the hotel did not have wi-fi. Miffed. At a $30 motel.

HMF

As far as I know it is still hovering around $500 million. I don't think the finances have been an issue since Bob pulled the trigger on the deal.
Besides my obvious objection to the thematic appropriateness of the Avatar IP for Disney's Animal Kingdom I really hope that if it must happen it does not end up being branded "Avatar Land" While "Pandora" really does not fit next to "Africa" "Asia" it works better than "Avatar Land". I for one am quite tired of the Franchise name + Land trend. The only reason it works with Cars Land is because the original concept was for Car Land. You can't just put the word Land on something and expect it to be a fully developed world.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
A ride that tries to entertain and delight you instead of terrifying you? How novel! It reminds me of the difference between the attractions with the "nice" smellitzers and the "not so nice" smellitzers: on one side you have Soarin', DCA Monsters, Philharmagic; on the other side you have Stitch, ITTBAB and Imagination 3.0. Maybe just be nice to the riders? :confused:

Thank you for finding those... it was a trip. She said that her son wouldn't "fit" on any ride other than Test Track and SSE enough times that I think she thought she was being literal. It was amusing how it seems like they almost went out of their way to avoid any rides (the parts of theme parks that most people enjoy the most). They seem to have started World Showcase in Canada... and gave up on WS halfway through. They did Captain EO, watched the fountains, needed to get out of the rain... and went into the Imageworks. Talk about ill-prepared! Did they run out of park maps that day?

Forget about the cleanliness! She seemed miffed that the hotel did not have wi-fi. Miffed. At a $30 motel.

In her later post she got into the cleanliness, but yeah, agreed... What was she thinking?

I would say at least she is better than someone who pays 3 times as much (or more) for a Disney hotel, and the wifi doesn't work worth a darn...

HMF

What's sad is that GMA and Today Show have that kind of content because that's the only way to entice viewers to watch their program. It goes to show that the media has to adapt to the low news standards of its viewers in order to keep the number of viewers from decreasing. It's a shame that many people care more about celebrity and reality tv news than actual current events that have effects on society
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/427430/june-24-2013/the-word---truthinews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom