Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
On Facebook, I read a comment about someone taking a friend to BoG for the first time for dinner. The friend's review of BoG? "It's paint on a shed. DCA got Carthay Circle, and we got...this."

When photos first came out I called it as a Dolled Up High Income Area High School Cafeteria. After eating there in the Winter I stand by my statement 100%. It was largely a letdown and I will not dine there again until lines are DOWN compared to what they are now. I ate there for dinner and the food presentation was atrocious. For a venue with the prices it maintains the presentation should have been well above what it was. This is not even going into how I felt about the food quality itself.

Figments Friend

The fiber-optics really make such a difference. Such a simple effect yet so, well, effective, LOL.

It's almost criminal they have never added them to our Pan. Someone could easily (and have) replicate the star effect in your own home for a few hundred dollars. I've seen some great ceilings done. I can't imagine it would be that costly an effect for Disney to add - my guess is, they haven't bothered until they spruce the rest of the ride up. But you've never seen such a simple effect get such "aw!" as you do the fiber optics at Disneyland's version.

Completely agree.
One of the biggest impacts in my memory of my first visit to Disneyland was just that....the amazing fiber optic effect in Pan.
For a brief moment it really feels like you are soaring through those clouds and heading 'second star to the right..'. Quite startling and cool.

My jaw dropped, and that does not happen too often.
Who would have guessed....on PPF of all places...but yeah, i was pretty moved by it.

This is why the lines are always so insanely long for what some consider a 'simple dark ride'.
It is like all the best Disney Theme Park attractions - they are not rides, they are EXPERIENCES.

Looking forward to riding Pan again at DL this September.

Travel Junkie

According boxofficemojo, Iron Man 3 only cost $200 mill to make and I'm sure advertising was between $100-150 mill. So lets just say $350 mill. That's about a $850 million dollar profit. Unless they had split a lot of the earnings with Paramount?

Paramount gets a pretty big chunk of the money made on Iron Man 3 as well as the Avengers. A very sweet deal for them.

BrianLo

Oh, and things just make you wonder how screwed we are. Like we're about to become the top oil producing nations on the planet, yet we pay $4 plus a gallon ... While other oil producers have gas that is close to free. It's all fixed. We have allowed it and now we get to enjoy life in the Homeland with the Illusion of Choice, the Illusion of Freedom. ...But maybe I shouldn't post while paying attention to the news.

I agree with you on most things Spirit, but America getting screwed over for gas prices is not one of them. We always fill up in the states because it is so darned cheap in comparison.

Bloomberg said:
"Drivers in the U.S. paid record high prices for gas in 2012, as severe weather and political tensions drove up fuel costs.

Americans have little to complain about. They pay $2.72 less per gallon than the 60-country average. Gasoline taxes account for less than 15 percent of the U.S. retail price of the fuel, compared with almost 60 percent in the U.K. Only four nations have less pain at the pump than the U.S. -- and all of them are members of OPEC.

Still, the U.S. is accustomed to using more gas than any country in the world. America burns through more than 1.2 gallons of gas per person each day -- the only country where people use more than a gallon a day. To feed this energy hunger, Americans spend 2.9 percent of their income on gas, the ninth-highest."

I know very little about economics, but this gets right back to your comment about most Americans living in a prism... when it comes to gas prices you shouldn't really complain.

Reactions: |Q|

Soarin' Over Pgh

The fiber-optics really make such a difference. Such a simple effect yet so, well, effective, LOL.

It's almost criminal they have never added them to our Pan. Someone could easily (and have) replicate the star effect in your own home for a few hundred dollars. I've seen some great ceilings done. I can't imagine it would be that costly an effect for Disney to add - my guess is, they haven't bothered until they spruce the rest of the ride up. But you've never seen such a simple effect get such "aw!" as you do the fiber optics at Disneyland's version.

It just dawned on me. That's why I didn't think anything of MK's Peter Pan ride... the one at DL trumps it. I knew there was something I was missing but couldn't place what it was.

Travel Junkie

Paramount gets 9% of the worldwide gross on IM3. (Gross, not net, as I understand it.)

Correct. From Variety May 10th.

To date, Paramount has collected around $100 million from “The Avengers” alone from all distribution platforms (including theatrical, homevid, VOD and television). Now, with” Iron Man 3″ grossing nearly $800 million at the worldwide box office to date, Par will add significantly to its overall take (so far collecting approximately $40 million and counting) — all without having to lift a finger, other than to sign on the dotted line/
How did Par finagle such a sweet deal? In short, the studio — which already owned rights to those films under a pre-existing distribution deal with Marvel — pounded out an agreement with Disney after the Burbank giant acquired the comicbook company for $4 billion.
Under terms of the buyout, it was determined that Paramount would receive either a flat fee of $115 million for both films or an 8% and 9% cut of global distribution revenues from “Avengers” and “Iron Man 3,” respectively, whichever was higher. Already, it’s the latter, but the deal ends with “Iron Man 3.” That means “Thor: The Dark World,” which bows Nov. 8, will be the first Marvel property to be released solely by Disney without any outside studio participation.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/iron-man-3-paramount-disney-1200479325/

IHeartArt

Reminder that SPOILERS FOR GROWN UPS 2 INCOMING WE REALLY NEED SPOILER TAGS IN THE NEXT SITE UPDATE Taylor Lautner gets castrated by a deer in Grown Ups 2.

Don't go see Grown Ups 2 if you don't like castration. In fact, just don't go see Grown Ups 2.

EDIT: Is castration something we can even say on here?

NoChesterHester

I just wanted to add that I thought Pacific Rim was fantastic. Most "fun" I've had in a movie this year.

The fact that people supported a poor formulaic sequel, Grown Ups 2, over it this weekend further makes me question our society.

I also believe it is the same narrow minded thinking that finds The Lone Ranger to be the same as POTC that believes that Pacific Rim is Transformers.

Magenta Panther

I just wanted to add that I thought Pacific Rim was fantastic. Most "fun" I've had in a movie this year.

The fact that people supported a poor formulaic sequel, Grown Ups 2, over it this weekend further makes me question our society.

I also believe it is the same narrow minded thinking that finds The Lone Ranger to be the same as POTC that believes that Pacific Rim is Transformers.

I'm guessing that moviegoers were looking for an adult comedy. "Adult" and "comedy" being arguable terms in this case. Bleah.

hpyhnt 1000

On Facebook, I read a comment about someone taking a friend to BoG for the first time for dinner. The friend's review of BoG? "It's paint on a shed. DCA got Carthay Circle, and we got...this."

Oooooh...never thought of it in that way but very true. Kinda sums up New Fantasyland in general though don't you think?

Between NGE, a lackluster FLE, a still non-existent Avatar, an uncertain DHS, and a completely stale Epcot, WDW really sucks.

And really, Grown Ups 2? What is with this country?

Reactions: HMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom