Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

There is only one group of turtles I like:
Nickelodeon-TMNT.jpg
ninja_turtles.png

spaceghost

I'd definitely rather watch Mr. Bill than Snow White.

And I thought Brave was the most beautiful looking animated film I've ever seen. (Not that I've seen many...)

I agree...stunning animation, beautiful music, decent story with a good message for young girls. I can understand why some people may have fallen off-board after the twist though. I also like to think of it as the counterpart to Finding Nemo. Nemo had a great father-son story, Brave has a similar mother-daughter story. I know my wife had an appreciation for Brave that I maybe didn't fully understand.

the.dreamfinder

I agree...stunning animation, beautiful music, decent story with a good message for young girls. I can understand why some people may have fallen off-board after the twist though. I also like to think of it as the counterpart to Finding Nemo. Nemo had a great father-son story, Brave has a similar mother-daughter story. I know my wife had an appreciation for Brave that I maybe didn't fully understand.

One day, Brave in its entirety as envisioned by Brenda Chappman will see the light.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so I can't help but think that I mused more than I see now ... I'm guessing the NSA just got hold of the Mom. Sort of a wasted effort since they must find my private communications much more entertaining!

Just some housekeeping, but I can not promise any actual Spirited Musings From the Fourth. Being a patriot, I'll likely drink and mourn a lot.

On a totally different matter, someone please let Andy Castro know that I actually like his work (the OCD coffee cup shots aside), I think it is affecting my sleep.

OK, so I wound up seeing the film Identity Thief today as I had wanted to see it when it was in theaters and never got around to it. It was a lot funnier than the real world version.

I think I sorta missed 3-4 pages of posts here, so if I ignored you ... well, it won't be the worst thing to happen to you this week.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Two quick thoughts:

First: @disney_lifestylers was created in response to you from several months ago.

OK, I'm guessing that you had some NSA filtering as well?

As to the thought I can see and respond to, I wasn't specifically talking about that individual/site on Twitter, but I am aware they exist and kind of thought that they may have been responding to me. I'd love it if they joined MAGIC and talked to me and the rest of us about the Disney UNIverse.

I mean, even Michael Crawford used to post here before he became a D23 contributer. ... And we have Imagineers and UNI Creatives in our midst ... oh, and Eddie Sotto too.

So what can you tell me about the Disney_Lifestylers folk? (here or PM is fine) ... just wondering if I should sue them for a piece of their action!

PhotoDave219

OK, I'm guessing that you had some NSA filtering as well?

As to the thought I can see and respond to, I wasn't specifically talking about that individual/site on Twitter, but I am aware they exist and kind of thought that they may have been responding to me. I'd love it if they joined MAGIC and talked to me and the rest of us about the Disney UNIverse.

I mean, even Michael Crawford used to post here before he became a D23 contributer. ... And we have Imagineers and UNI Creatives in our midst ... oh, and Eddie Sotto too.

So what can you tell me about the Disney_Lifestylers folk? (here or PM is fine) ... just wondering if I should sue them for a piece of their action!

No idea who they are.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 No thoughts on the new ride at Legoland? I can't believe how cheap the whole thing looks. Anyone think they rushed this or is this LEGO SOP?

http://www./2013/07/inside-the-worl...on-with-interactive-quest-for-chi-water-ride/

No real comment since I haven't experienced their product at all.

They aren't looking at being Disney/UNI/SW so I wouldn't ever compare that product to the big guns anyway.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not sure if youre seen the new cottage industry popping up. Apparently you can get one of these folks to come report on the opening of your new rib joint, pizzeria, or used car dealership.

I have certainly noted the way some Lifestylers are branching out beyond Disney, but ONLY if there's something in it for them. Again, these are the folks who will gladly take free rooms at the Poly or Grand Flo, but never pay to stay (let alone full price) and take free Disney Cruises, but not sail on their own dime etc.

But apparently some businesses think they may help get word out ... and for a new business, it certainly couldn't hurt. I see more value to them than I do to Disney or UNI, which absolutely don't need any of the social media. ... BTW, haven't seen the DPB in forever ... what's Blondie, Bland Tommy and Crazy Gary up to these days ... oh, and Scary Steven too?

Still entertaining Mommy Bloggers on the company weekly?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Heres a novel concept...have more PM entertainment throughout the MK so that people dont herd out of the park at once. Someone posted this week that at Disneyland once night hits it feels like its just getting started. At WDW you start getting the bums rush.

Totally different vibe at DLR. Only time I feel it at WDW is sometimes during Spring Break and Christmas week.

People at DLR are out in the parks right up until closing (even if it is midnight or later). You can get into a 45-minute line for Space Mountain or RSRs 10 minutes before the park closes. At WDW, you can get on anything in the last few hours 98% of the time with little or no wait.

Folks need to be up at 6:30 a.m. to get to their character breakfast and all that BS.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You may be right--it rained fairly early today--but then again, at DTD last night, I'd say fully 80% of the crowd wouldn't know July 4 is any different from July 22. Independence Day not as important when you cater to an international market.

Also, while I trust the Spirit that it's not exactly the same as the 3rd/4th, the extended fireworks the other 5 days this week might be spreading the crowds out a bit.

I think you're right. But I also that speaks to what is still a profound weakness in the domestic market. They can play with numbers like a fanboi lubricating his yeti, but doesn't change that folks from Europe and South America are propping the resort up.

Haven't been sent one myself (living a block into Polk County and the Tampa media market), but King Bob at the Save PI blog--coolest of the lifestylers if only because he cares more about go-go girls than fanbois--reports Splitsville has sent out mailers to locals offering 20% off bowling, food, booze and merchandise. This after they were forced to shut down much of the upstairs 6 nights a week. Did I mention I've never seen the same bartender there twice (and I drink a lot)? Nor has the empty shop next to Curl been filled.

If TDO was courting me to open a new adult-skewing table-service restaurant, I would probably take all of the above into account.

Thanks, Jason. A friend in O-Town mentioned this to me a few weeks ago and I totally forgot to put it out. He said it was much better than the limited (no booze) CM 20% offer.

I always assumed Splitsville would succeed, but now what happens if it doesn't?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any thoughts on how the unusually low numbers during a peak attendance week will be received in Burbank? Any chance we see healthy scrambling to change the park strategy.

I would hope that someone is yelling "It's the week of the 4th and all is NOT well!!"

My thoughts are they are still trying to figure out how to respond to the economic disaster that started in 2007-08 and how to respond to WWoHP and how to respond to Transformers and how to respond to Potter 2.0 ... and they honestly have not shown the immediacy that they should be.

I'm sure they were busier today and tomorrow will be packed as usual (at least at MK and EPCOT) and they'll make all sorts of excuses why that is.

On an unrelated matter, look for the Disney Spirit to be announced sooner rather than later ... with the Disney Imagination waiting in the wings! Disney isthisclose to pulling the trigger on one ship with an option (that will be picked up) for another.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed.

If both were new today, I'd take Brave in a heartbeat.

I'm not really an animation fan. I tolerate it on occasion. (Unless its anime. No tolerance for that at all.)

I also think it's all about the story, but that said...it's gotta be pleasing to my eye or I won't bother with it.
At this point, I doubt I'd ever watch Snow White again.

Mrs. Lee is quite right. Something's not right upstairs with you, not at all.

Snow White is a work of art, still to this day. And it is dark and scary, current Disney management hates the Walt era films because they weren't dumbed down to appeal to special needs 5-year-olds and arrested development adults. ... Brave is largely harmless and fun, but it's sorta like most Americanized Chinese food. You eat a huge plate and 40 minutes later it's like you never ate at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Park ops has their NYE crowd plan happening. All spokes from the hub will be exit while liberty square will be the entrance.

Guests are being directed to park exit through backstage to Park 1 as well as from the Paza Restaurant gate.

Crowds are higher then earlier. Feels 50s

And 50s should only feel moderately crowded, especially the lower range. But with so much capacity gone, so many queues wasted by FP and so many ECVs and double wide strollers, it feels much closer to being packed.

But I haven't had a MK day (other than the last few hours) that was sparsely crowded since a damp cool day in December of 2009.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And coming soon to Brunswick, too. Feels like we've joined the world lately now that Five Guys and Chipotle made it to Maine in the last couple of years :)

It's the Walmart complex. Eventually, except for regional chains (a la In N Out) they'll wind up everywhere if you give them enough time.

I remember when Five Guys was a chain that was only around the mid-Atlantic and when I could get Chipotle in my California 'hood, but not within hundreds of miles from my Florida one.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow, I am disappointed Spirit, you don't get Pink. I despise most pop music but she is one the most talented singers in pop music today. She is an amazing live performer who doesn't lip sync even while she performs some cirque style acrobatics. My wife loves her. Watch the Funhouse Tour Live in Australia blu ray. That is what made me a fan and her performance of "Sober" during that show is jaw dropping. She makes these other so called stars who lip sync all or most of their show(Britney, Beyonce's, etc) look pathetic. We finally got to see her in Tampa this year and it was an amazing show. And this is from someone who has been to alot of concerts. But that is just my opinion. Back to our regularly scheduled .

To be fair, that was sorta in jest and directed at one individual who loves her. I am tired of listening to her all the time, though.

Of course maybe I am just a crotchety old Spirit. But this year is the 20th Anniversary of the absolute best most MAGICal concert I ever went to (and I have been to hundreds): Paul McCartney at the Citrus Bowl in O-Town, floor level about 20 rows from the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom