Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree about Brave. Dull as dishwater, and awful-looking as well. It got the award because it's PIXAR. No other reason.

Totally disagree, but have no desire to argue it. It wasn't great, but it was quite good.

I'd definitely rather watch Mr. Bill than Snow White.

And I thought Brave was the most beautiful looking animated film I've ever seen. (Not that I've seen many...)

That could be because you are married to Merida!!!

bubbles1812

Mrs. Lee is quite right. Something's not right upstairs with you, not at all.

Snow White is a work of art, still to this day. And it is dark and scary, current Disney management hates the Walt era films because they weren't dumbed down to appeal to special needs 5-year-olds and arrested development adults. ... Brave is largely harmless and fun, but it's sorta like most Americanized Chinese food. You eat a huge plate and 40 minutes later it's like you never ate at all.
Funny that they dislike the Walt era films... The fact that Disney wasn't afraid to be dark I think was part of what put the Disney Co on the map in the first place. Kids could enjoy the films, but the films weren't "cartoons." They had depth. They had real villains. (For Christ sake, man himself was a villain! ;)). I do feel some of the more modern Disney movies have lost that.

Brave was ok for me. Top-notch beautiful animation and the mother-daughter angle was interesting. But I felt like they could have done more with it rather than just a "Freaky Friday" type story where the two needed to "walk a mile in the others shoes." That's tired. I didnt think it deserved the Oscar though a nomination was at least warranted. That said... It was at least better than the Cars movies. (I really hate Mater lol).

And as it is after midnight in my neck o' the woods... Happy 4th of July everyone! May you have a pleasant (and safe) holiday. :)

lazyboy97o

Funny that they dislike the Walt era films... The fact that Disney wasn't afraid to be dark I think was part of what put the Disney Co on the map in the first place. Kids could enjoy the films, but the films weren't "cartoons." They had depth. They had real villains. (For Christ sake, man himself was a villain! ;)). I do feel some of the more modern Disney movies have lost that.
There is a line in The Animated Man about Walt believing that young children should not be in a movie theater.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think you're right. But I also that speaks to what is still a profound weakness in the domestic market. They can play with numbers like a fanboi lubricating his yeti, but doesn't change that folks from Europe and South America are propping the resort up.

Thanks, Jason. A friend in O-Town mentioned this to me a few weeks ago and I totally forgot to put it out. He said it was much better than the limited (no booze) CM 20% offer.

I always assumed Splitsville would succeed, but now what happens if it doesn't?

Funny, I didn't assume it would succeed, in fact I was surprised they were going with that, in that location.

There just isn't enough of traffic in that direction for people who want to go bowling AND see one of the other things, Cirque du Soleil, concert at HOB or the movie theater...........oh, and DisneyQuest, WHO could FORGET that!???

PhotoDave219

And 50s should only feel moderately crowded, especially the lower range. But with so much capacity gone, so many queues wasted by FP and so many ECVs and double wide strollers, it feels much closer to being packed.

But I haven't had a MK day (other than the last few hours) that was sparsely crowded since a damp cool day in December of 2009.

Yeah well fireworks were Insane on MAUSA but not NYE insane.

Props to MSops for keeping people moving but it wasn't a phased close at all.

lazyboy97o

Ha. Sometimes I would be ok with that... I love kids. I really do. But occasional "adult only" screenings of things I wouldn't object to. I'm sure there would be people who would throw hissy fits about that though.
To me I am completely okay with very young children being excluded from family offerings. People on average tend to live several decades. I'd rather aim for appealing to decades worth of people than being overly concerned with those in the first few years. They'll grow up. They'll become more patient, thoughtful and appreciative.

Magenta Panther

Mrs. Lee is quite right. Something's not right upstairs with you, not at all.

Snow White is a work of art, still to this day. And it is dark and scary, current Disney management hates the Walt era films because they weren't dumbed down to appeal to special needs 5-year-olds and arrested development adults. ... Brave is largely harmless and fun, but it's sorta like most Americanized Chinese food. You eat a huge plate and 40 minutes later it's like you never ate at all.

Agreed. Snow White's story and characterization resonate to this day. Yes, the animation of Snow White herself is awkward at times...the Disney animators were still struggling to animate realistic humans...and her voice is out of fashion with the I-Am-Woman-Hear-Me-Roar crowd...but the music, the well-told-tale, and the charm and humor of the Dwarfs all survive intact. It's timeless. And I can't understand why anyone would dislike it...or choose Brave over it. Of course tastes differ...

Nemo14

In-N-Out or "The old in-and-out"?

paranoid.gif

MattM

Went to Legoland a few weeks ago. This particular ride wasn't open yet, but the place was pretty solid if you have young kids. It's literally half the price of WDW/Uni/SW but better than half as good. We were there from open to almost close and didn't do everything. Pretty solid crowds, especially at the waterpark. My only 2 complaints were that the food actually made me crave Cosmic Rays and they hit me up for $15 for parking. The place is literally in the middle of nowhere, the land had to be pretty cheap to buy. Free parking wouldn't kill them. I was slightly afraid someone would snatch my kids on the car ride in (if you turn on the news and a kid is missing its almost always in some less populated part of FL).

Some of the rides were definitely not up to the standards of the big 3 over in Orlando, but overall a pretty decently themed kids park. For those Mine Train haters who want to know what a real kiddie coaster looks like they have a few that even my 3 year old could ride. If you go in thinking this new attraction is going to be Legoland's "Potter 2.0 swatter" you will most likely be disappointed;).[/]

You weren't in the middle of no where, you were 1 mile east of winter haven. You probably just didnt go past legoland. The theme park was alreadyt there.

And the missing kid statement was just bizare?!?

BrianLo

Happy 4th of July to all you Americans! Just finished up my final day at TDR, never did manage to see firework as it was cancelled all four nights due to weather (mostly wind). Probably would not go over so well missing fireworks on the 4th in the Swamps!

Tons of random thoughts about the resort now that I have some time to unwind.

-I just found out that Sindbad in its current state was NOT the original attraction. Just watched a video on youtube. It's completely jarring, all the elements are there but the tone and message is a complete 180 degree turn. Having only experienced the current version, which I will state again I simply love, it seems like some weird awful nightmare. Too bad they can't flip a switch during Halloween time so that all of Sindbad's friends suddenly want to kill him on your second ride through. The only thing "better" about it is the pacing is definitely faster so the animatronics are that much more lively and impressive. This is definitely an instance where Disney-fying something really worked out for the best. I guess even DisneySea was subject to some miss-fires and growing pains.

-DisneySea honestly just gets more impressive the longer you are in it. Probably something to do with getting my camera back and slowing down from attraction-to-attraction bouncing. Usually with time flaws appear in parks, but with time in DisneySea you really just keep discovering more and more beauty. Certainly Disney (especially TDO) deserves some of the distain it earns - but seriously no one touches Disney when they are firing at 100%. I really love Universal and everything they are doing, but they still are not at Disney levels. HOWEVER, Disney has been firing at about 20% in the swamps for nearly two decades. So even though Universal only reaches that 80-90% mark at their best, it's still 4-4.5X better. ;)

-I liked Mythica, Mermaid and Magic Theater. They are all quite fresh by WDW standards, but I am glad they actually keep on top of things and are willing to constantly update/replace. I don't know why people get upset when they want to replace things instead of letting them stagnate.

-Really happy with the Sheraton and I would totally recommend it*. If it's not going in the $100 range (it can get waaay more expensive), it probably means the parks are too busy and you should avoid going. If it is in the $100 range, I really wouldn't justify staying off property. You are not likely to find anything for much less around Tokyo, and the marginal savings in this case would not be worth the loss to convenience. For all intents and purposes it's "on property". The monorail station is literally across the street, and if for some baffling reason you don't want to walk the 30 seconds, there is a shuttle bus that goes back and forth. I have no idea why there needs to be a bus (and a really nice one at that) to cross the street... Needless to say I always walked. I don't really know pricing of the Disney owned hotels, but I'd say they might be worth a 20-30% premium at best and maybe just for a night so you can watch Fantasmic from your Miracosta balcony. I have a feeling only true 1%-ers and not the faux ones can afford that though. *Should disclose that I'm an SPG platinum member, so upgrades to club floor, free breakfast, self serve bar, free internet, and a general loyalty to the brand etc. etc. cause me to be a bit biased.

-Maybe I like JTTCOE more than RSR after all...

-On the Disneyland front, you have a love letter to Magic Kingdom, except better maintained and not so neglected attraction wise. It definitely has the best layout of the four castle parks I've been to. So much better guest flow between the side streets off main street and the fact that you don't have the train circling the park cutting attractions off.

-Regarding the rumour from Lutz I think Radiator springs would replace ROA wonderfully. It would be really well framed between splash and big thunder with the layout they have. I would like to see them maintain more water and foliage somehow though (Mater strikes a spring?) to help blend a bit. Currently ROA does not seem popular whatsoever.

-Monsters and Pooh are good fun. Both fall in the medium length wheelhouse somewhere between classic Disney Dark rides and the lengthy E-ticket dark rides (ie. Mansion and Pirate). They employ interesting technology, great AA's and clearly had a healthy budget with none of that value engineering. Enjoyed Pooh more than my first trip (I think I was somehow overhyped) and Monsters was under refurb last time. Monsters was definitely the most popular attraction in TDL all the days I visited. An 80-120 minute wait and fast passes were gone by noon or so. I only rode it using fast passes twice.

-Star Tours, Space Mountain and Monsters all makes for a really great lower end to tomorrow land. TDL unfortunately falls flat in the upper portion. Buzz is ok, it's a better version than Disneyland I believe. EO needs to go, tomorrowland needs a good retheming (true for most of the castle parks) and the speedway is absolutely a waste of space. I get that it has some charm in the other parks, but it is so badly dated and needs to be ripped out. I just hope that TDL decides to lead the pack on this one and jump start a revision since it seems California keeps sticking it on the back-burner. Some of the freeway space should go towards another Toontown attraction, definitely my least favourite Castle Park land (I even prefer Toy Story play land in HK, blasphemy I know).

-Last thing I wanted to say was why are people so in a huff about Spectromagic? Nostalgia and never wanting anything to change is the whole problem with Magic Kingdom. I'm also sorry to say that the electric lights parade needs the old heave-ho as well. The conceit and music work just fine, but some of it really looks like someone strung a bunch of Christmas lights onto a float in their garage. I don't understand why people like 40 year old floats! TDL's parades (Happiness and dream lights) were great, mostly because their floats aren't older than I am.

-Change is a good thing (as long as it is properly budgeted change). Sometimes the memory of an attraction are better to have then seeing it absolutely rot away or erode into irrelevancy. Disney sells nostalgia, but it also is what can make the parks awful with time. It’s ok to miss things and remember them fondly, but seriously, it’s just a cinnamon roll. If they never served them in the first place (like TDL) would you really care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom