Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Very true!

The castle is featured all over the banners I saw at MCO. Too bad it looks better on the banners than in real life... IMHO, it just doesn't 'work'. I dunno. I tried a bunch of angle and none made it seem like it was more than a small castle perched on rocks. Maybe when the coaster is complete it'll.. or.. maybe when the walls are down it'll look better?
It just doesn't work. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is not going to change that. Even if there is a spot behind the construction walls where it works beautifully, its an object in space intended to be viewed from many angles. Eric's Castle is nice, but overall New Fantasyland is mostly some new landscaping.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Slightly off topic from the current dragon coaster/ AAA talk....

Wanted to post this earlier but couldn't get photobucket to cooperate with my work computer.

Outside of BoG, a kid having a complete and total meltdown because it was a restaraunt and not a ride as he (and apparently, his Dad) thought it was.

I'd hate to stand in that ridiculously long line only to realize it's not a ride. Nobody told them?

Gee, this might be where actually reading the park map might come in handy.

tracyandalex

I kind of touched on this in another thread a while ago, but do you think that the average "tourist" in WDW really pays attention to all the theming, the transitions, and the little details, or is it all about the rides? I notice so many people just dashing from ride to ride, and I often wonder if they even "get" it. Just a rambling thought....

I am still a couple of pages behind, but I had to comment on this. We were at the world 3 weeks ago for a long weekend with no plans and it was great! Usually I always have dining reservations and we have must see rides. This time I told DH and DD that we've already seen it all so this time we are just going to wander and do what strikes us at the time. We all really enjoyed it; for once we didn't feel like we were rushing around. Yes we did miss some things, but some how we were able to survive (imagine that). the one issue we did have was food. Because we always have reservations we didn't know what QS to eat so we had some not so great meals, but a few really good meals. Either way we were glad to finally try new things.
So to answer your question, if we felt that way sometimes I imagine a large number of average tourist probably don't get it and miss a lot of the experience. I am hoping MM+ will help with that, but idk.

tissandtully

It just doesn't work. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is not going to change that. Even if there is a spot behind the construction walls where it works beautifully, its an object in space intended to be viewed from many angles. Eric's Castle is nice, but overall New Fantasyland is mostly some new landscaping.

Actually, I've found it only works from further away. The forced perspective is gone when you are up close, I was kind of disappointed in that. It's not like Hogwarts where it's still pretty convincing, even from underneath, even a Disney fan like myself had to admit defeat there.

Buried20KLeague

x2 at Magic Mountain is far and away the best coaster I've been on it for it''s uniqueness. For best themed coaster I'd say Space Mountain in Disneyland, but Everest is up there.

I can't say enough about X2. Amazing. Althought I was very frustrated the last two times I was there that the on board audio wasn't working. It showed just how much more having that audio can do for an attraction.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Actually, I've found it only works from further away. The forced perspective is gone when you are up close, I was kind of disappointed in that. It's not like Hogwarts where it's still pretty convincing, even from underneath, even a Disney fan like myself had to admit defeat there.

Maybe that's it. From anywhere within the new castle walls, it doesn't work. But near the 'real' castle, it kind of.. maybe works? I don't really remember, to be honest.

Also not impressed by the Circus area. However the railroad station was cute.

Atomicmickey

Wanted to post this earlier but couldn't get photobucket to cooperate with my work computer.

Outside of BoG, a kid having a complete and total meltdown because it was a restaraunt and not a ride as he (and apparently, his Dad) thought it was.

I'd hate to stand in that ridiculously long line only to realize it's not a ride. Nobody told them?

You should have seen the kid when, to make him feel better, Dad took him to meet Rapunzel and do the Tangled ride over by It's a Small World.

Animaniac93-98

I wish I could feel the same way about BoG. I am thinking maybe wanting to chose the ballroom from Beauty and the Beast as a restaurant location was not the best decision in the first place?

That's BoG's biggest probelm. Trying to turn spaces that aren't dining rooms into one. The West Wing is the worst offender in this case.

Animaniac93-98

I haven't been, so maybe I shouldn't knock it, but the West Wing just seems like an unpleasant place to eat to me.

That whole room in the movie was never meant to be "pleasant", but the room at BOG so barely resembles it that it is not much of an issue. The rose in belljar in front of the window does look good, though.

The original Fantasyland had no intention of copying 100% what was shown in the movies, so it didn't matter when things didn't match. NFL tries to be like Harry Potter in selling the experience like you are really there, and disapoints in some areas because of this.

alissafalco

That's the fathers own stupidity

71jason

besides being in a wooden alcove.. how would you say the ride itself was themed? Oh.. and painting one track red and one blue.

Just one example--all the lap bars are painted the same color as the respective dragon, except the front--that one is painted pink, to resemble a tongue.

PirateFrank

Strange to see all this BoG hate. I was there in January and it was the single greatest meal of our entire trip....I was so enthralled by it that it was the first ADR I made for November. I'm not doubting everyone's opinions and reviews....it's just that my experience doesn't reconcile with them. I hope, when I go in November, I'm not let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom