Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
At the most recent quarterly financial review, Iger stated:

"In Q2, Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort both set new attendance records for the quarter."

Attendance was positively affected by the alignment of the New Year's and Easter holidays, which both were counted in the quarter.

Iger also said domestic theme park attendance was up 8% but, of course, that's heavily weighted towards DLR.

The economy is slowly improving (or at least people have grown tired of spending like it's a recession) so it makes sense that there's a lot of pent-up demand for vacations.

I don't know about that, but I do know if MK is closing at 11 now that you'll see 10 p.m closings within a month and 9 p.m. Closings soon in August.

I just don't see WDW being very busy this summer. And it certainly wasn't when I was there in May.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Am I the only one who had never seen Lou Mongello's blog...or Ricky Brigante's blog...and has no desire to see them?

One time, I went and looked at a blog because some dingbat girl was giving ridiculously bad advice online and pushing her blog.

Some of these people with blogs know their stuff and some do NOT. I know a lot more than some of these folks who are attempting to teach others, lol.

Sometimes it is the blind leading the blind out there.

I had no idea what a Mongello was until 2011. I think I had heard of Brigante a year or two earlier.

None of them interest me beyond the way Disney chooses to interact/use them. I get my fan fix by chatting with people here.

And to be a groupie of one of these folks again speaks to fodder for my mental health and the Disney fan community tome.

Funmeister

It wasn't simple ...had lots if herbs and 'stuff' (hey, I was a kid and last had the stuff in 1995 when I found Trail's End at FW still using it). I bet George K knows what I am talking about. I doubt anyone working in WDW Food and Beverage does. They probably also don't recall the endless salad bowl at Boatwright's with homemade childlike ranch dressing, either.

I love talking about food.

Not sure if Prime Rib Thursday's, at the Cast Cafeteria (at MK) back in the day, was that awesome or good because it was .99 cents. lol

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh Ive met that kid. He's.... he's special in his own way.

Cutting park wide labor by 48 hours seems pretty significant. I'm sure they'll extend if need be. Besides, it sounds much busier when Disney says "We had to extend hours again."

At least its not 2004 when the park would close at 7 some nights.
They are all special in their own way...

Oh, and you don,t have to go back to '04. It was just 2010 when the Studios closed three days a week, including Fridays and Saturdays, in the summer at 7 p.m. Remember?

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
... and did you draw over Kate Winslet's face with a permanent marker or cut her right out of the poster? C'mon... be honest.
No, at 30, I recognized that I was way too old to be pining over an 18 year old character.
I was swept away by every facet of the film. When they were pulled under the water by the suction of the sinking ship, I would hold my breath along with them. I knew every line of dialogue. It took until the fourth viewing for me to realize that the final scene probably meant that Rose had died, and their reunion was in Heaven, at which time my trickling tears turned to full fledged all out, hiccupping sobs (I had just lost my father-in-law). And IMO, the final "Heaven" kiss on the staircase is the most romantic scene on the big screen ever.
I think both Kate and Leo are outstanding actors; neither of whom have been type cast by their Titanic roles. I saw the Great Gatsby a couple of weeks ago, and thought Leo was amazing. I was also pleasantly surprised by Tobey Maguire.
My 18 year old son and I actually share identical movies in our #1 and #2 favourite positions - Titanic and The Terminal. From there we digress radically.
And since I am so far off the track anyway, I will offer my 3 most hated movies, in order: The Dark Knight, The Witches of Eastwick, and Stay Tuned. Stuart Little 2 gets an Honourable Mention.

stevehousse

A few things;

The girl being raped by her coworker. Rape is a horrible thing and shouldn't have to happen to anyone, but her first mistake was NOT going to te police. I do think that her counselor or whatever could have talked to her in a better way, but Disney or any company isn't going to fire anyone over accusations. If she went to the police and had him arrested, then she could go to HR and let tem know of te situation and then have him fired, but like I said she made the mistake of not talking about it soon enough with the right people first.

I think it's so dumb that schools actually get mad now when you want to take kids out for vacation! One poster said it earlier, but yes, schools do get money for your child being there. You being on vacation making the school loose money. Also, the rule, at least at all te schools I have gone to my life, 45 missed days is the max, and any more than that and you get held back! Unless your child is extremely sick all the time ad missing a ton of school, people shouldn't freak about taking their kids out!

Lastly, spirit, do you think wdw would announce any more info about mm+ at D23 or is it still to early to move forward with that? I'm hoping for the later. I don't want mm+ happening when we are there in November!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
While folks about cinnamon buns and coffee, Disney takes a hatchet to summer EMHs and no one even notices.

EMH are empty is the word we are getting, leading to the cut, why are they empty though? Could it be a changing demographic of a WDW guest? WDW has been actively aiming at the mommy and young child set for years now, is it possible they are getting a much higher % of those types of "guests" therefore leading to the parks emptying earlier because there's only so late most 4 year olds dressed like princesses can stay awake.

Just a thought, no empirical evidence to back me up.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
EMH are empty is the word we are getting, leading to the cut, why are they empty though? Could it be a changing demographic of a WDW guest? WDW has been actively aiming at the mommy and young child set for years now, is it possible they are getting a much higher % of those types of "guests" therefore leading to the parks emptying earlier because there's only so late most 4 year olds dressed like princesses can stay awake.

Just a thought, no empirical evidence to back me up.

December. January. February. And my most recent trip. EMH at night were all slammed. And I don't put it on that because there are fewer chances either.

WDWFanDave

No, at 30, I recognized that I was way too old to be pining over an 18 year old character.
I was swept away by every facet of the film. When they were pulled under the water by the suction of the sinking ship, I would hold my breath along with them. I knew every line of dialogue. It took until the fourth viewing for me to realize that the final scene probably meant that Rose had died, and their reunion was in Heaven, at which time my trickling tears turned to full fledged all out, hiccupping sobs (I had just lost my father-in-law). And IMO, the final "Heaven" kiss on the staircase is the most romantic scene on the big screen ever.
I think both Kate and Leo are outstanding actors; neither of whom have been type cast by their Titanic roles. I saw the Great Gatsby a couple of weeks ago, and thought Leo was amazing. I was also pleasantly surprised by Tobey Maguire.
My 18 year old son and I actually share identical movies in our #1 and #2 favourite positions - Titanic and The Terminal. From there we digress radically.
And since I am so far off the track anyway, I will offer my 3 most hated movies, in order: The Dark Knight, The Witches of Eastwick, and Stay Tuned. Stuart Little 2 gets an Honourable Mention.

Top of my hated list (or pretty close): Lost In Translation.

Enjoyed Monsters U; definitely not as good as Inc, but good stuff anyway.

Titanic...now that was a great movie. First time we saw it, drove almost 2 hours to a theater that had tickets available. Definitely haven't seen it as many times :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
i really miss the e-ticket nights at MK that started in the late '90s and went until the early '00s.

for our family, it was a way to do MK at night in the summer without fighting the crowds. honestly, that was a premium that was worth paying for IMO. seemed like it would make sense on the business side since you could generate extra revenue and use a smaller crew to operate only a select number of rides.

maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but it really bummed me out when they got rid of them.

OK, I no longer like you!;)

stevehousse

Top of my hated list (or pretty close): Lost In Translation.

Enjoyed Monsters U; definitely not as good as Inc, but good stuff anyway.

Titanic...now that was a great movie. First time we saw it, drove almost 2 hours to a theater that had tickets available. Definitely haven't seen it as many times :)

I love Lost in Translation! It's a great movie and i can't believe its your most hated!!! Yes there isn't a whole lot going on in the film, however its not that kind of movie. LIT is a character study movie and I understand those aren't for everybody, but I can definitely come up with worse movies!

The Happening
Knight and Day
The new Chipmunk movies

And so many more bad ones...Don't hate on LIT!

PotteryGal

It's not the parents so much anymore as it is the schools. They have taken over a parents authority concerning their own children and their education. I do understand that missing a number of days is hard to make up and certainly no one wants to make their kids do homework while everyone else is on vacation. However, they should be able to differentiate a student in academic trouble and one that can handle a few missed days.​
The worse part of that whole thing is it's the child that suffers and is punished due to a decision that his/her parents have made. It is the child that is held back or suspended, complicating the situation even more. So although I am as concerned about "helicopter" parents, (not to worry, it will come back to bite them eventually) this one cannot be totally assigned to them.​
The ONLY reasoned we suffered through June temps over a week ago is because my older daughter will be a junior in high school next year and is in the marching band. So Aug-early Nov is out, and she is also in the school's concert choir, which basically picks up where band leaves off. We will also begin the round of college visits sometime in the next year. However, walking around MK packed in like a sardine, with deodorant failing left and right....yeah, not going to miss that. Our WDW trips are for the most part done, because going during the school year just doesn't work for us, and I have no desire to wait in line on the surface of the sun anymore. My 2 cents...

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
The ONLY reasoned we suffered through June temps over a week ago is because my older daughter will be a junior in high school next year and is in the marching band. So Aug-early Nov is out, and she is also in the school's concert choir, which basically picks up where band leaves off. We will also begin the round of college visits sometime in the next year. However, walking around MK packed in like a sardine, with deodorant failing left and right....yeah, not going to miss that. Our WDW trips are for the most part done, because going during the school year just doesn't work for us, and I have no desire to wait in line on the surface of the sun anymore. My 2 cents...
Once my kids were in high school, we started "adults only" trips.
Much better - take my word for it.

PotteryGal

Once my kids were in high school, we started "adults only" trips.
Much better - take my word for it.

While that sounds lovely, we are waiting for our 25th anniversary to do a longer adult getaway....and we're eyeing the ocean instead. I just can't explain how I felt after leaving WDW. I wasn't sorry to go home....the one thing I always wanted to do was have afternoon tea at the GF and I did that with my daughter. Our trip had good moments, but it just wasn't spectacular. There's nothing Disney is doing that is making me excited to go back. Heresy around these parts, I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom