Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Has nothing to do with guests. I've never known people to not want to be in the parks at night, especially in the miserable Florida summers. Disney saves a tremendous amount of money in labor by snipping an hour here or a few hours there.

I was just surprised no one had mentioned the cuts yet, but I realize they are busy obsessing over Starbucks ruining the MK (guess what? Disney did that itself over the last 15 years)
Josh (from another site that gets xxxxxxx here, the one time I mentioned it) has calculated that MK will open a total of 454 hours this July, compared to 502 hours in July 2011.

ThemeParks4Life

Why would I pick on anyone for that? It's largely how I visit WDW and have for the last 15 years or so.

But can we bash the Lifestylers anyway? At least Lou, Wannabe Lou, Brigante and whoever shut their site down when UNI didn't deem them important enough for the Transformers debut.
Orlando Informer lost just about all my respect after he whined on Twitter about how he has THE WORLD'S LARGEST AND MOST UP TO DATE GUIDE ON TRANSFORMERS yet he doesn't get invited to the media events. Give me a break.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Ruth's and Shula's are both very good for chain restaurants, but I'll take it one step further than that...how many of those same people would even fathom going to a non-chain local restaurant, where the steaks are even better than Shulas/Ruths? Probably none.

Even fewer, which is even more sad. There are SEVERAL fine dining stand alone steakhouses and other exquisite locales all over Hampton Roads; especially WIlliamsburg.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
And that is why for every smiling having the time of their life guest I see, I usually see 3-4 that range from unhappy to miserable to I'd rather be getting a colonoscopy than be here types.

I need to send you a note about my recent trip. Toured with someone who had not been in 7/8 years who would be considered an average guest. An average guest that had some very stark statements about certain things.

Nah, at least Outback and, my personal fave for mid-range steak, Longhorn will give you an entire meal for between $12-25. And in better and more comfortable dining rooms.

Le Cellier shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Shula's.

You know the area I am in and how it is littered with Mom Pop stops, The Whaling Company again? There is even more that are considered Fine Dining in Historic Williamsburg, Downtown Norfolk, etc that are nowhere near the price ranges of the mid-level eateries WDW maintains but far exceed several of the Fine Dining eateries in quality. Once you get close to the VB Oceanfront in the Summer you begin to get the tourist inflated prices for basic food.

Sneezy62

OK, confession time...I know this is going to be shocking, but I am not the brightest bulb on the tree sometimes. Please explain to me exactly what in the pluperfect hell, is the purpose of a FP for Wishes?

Do they have the show an hour earlier then anyone else is allowed to watch? Do they pass out blindfolds and ear plugs to everyone without a FP? I am at a loss to understand, actually two things...Do people really think that they can see a show that is primarily in the sky, if they are standing in a certain spot? (OK, not behind a tree) or will that be just another FP (of three) that Disney will be able to pass out instead of Splash?

It just seems to me that it is getting dumber by the moment. It seems that if someone as intellectually limited as I am starts to think that something sounds stupid, perhaps Disney needs to reconsider just how long they can continue to think that they can do anything and it will be slurped up like a Dole Whip Float.

I'm wondering how many are using FP+ for the nighttime shows in the test this week. Any insiders have some thoughts on how the tests are working out overall. I've been watching the couple of testers here and on Dis who are reporting back. The only thing of interest I've seen so far is that one was able to ride Splash/FP+ and then change a HM FP+ to get another for Splash thereby getting around the 1 FP+ per ride per day thing. Also getting $100 gift cards for taking part in focus groups.

Figments Friend

... Forgot to mention this, but Tony Baxter's painting was returned to the BTMRR queue a few weeks ago in a place where hopefully the pigs can't get to it. ... Wonder where all those Americans are getting the money/jobs that allow them to spend money to visit WDW and spend $400-plus a night on lodging alone?......

Nice to hear the painting was finally returned. I know some time ago you made it a personal goal to insure this was replaced and not forgotten about.

Regarding how folks are getting the money to stay at the high end Resorts during a WDW visit.....five words: The Magic Of Credit Cards.
Lots of folks take the family and go nuts...charge everything...with no real intention of ever paying off the big bills in the long run.

tirian

WDW is always looking to cut opex. One way to do so is to reduce operating hours.

On a few threads, people have commented along the lines of "I went last year for Spring Break and MK was open till 1 AM; this year it was only open to 11 PM." It appears this trend continues this summer, despite reports of increased crowds.

We've already seen evening EMH cut back from 3 to 2 hours. I did not read a storm of protest which corporate Disney will likely interpret as a sign that even further cutbacks are possible. For now, I think morning EMH might be safe. Even Uni and my local Six Flags offer early opening and we all know WDW of late has been striving to achieve the level of excellence of Six Flags!:rolleyes:

As far as onsite perks, let's see what happens with MyMagic+.:)

I'm skeptical of those increased crowds, and I don't see a problem with the decreased park hours.

No, I haven't lost my mind.

Because I like to sleep in on my days off, I don't usually get to the parks until 12:30 or 1:00 (when I go). The MK has been very slow from about 7:30 onward. Last weekend, I was able to get a FP for Space Mountain at 2:30, and the return time was for 3:45!

My Ops buddies told me park hours were extended because the thunderstorms shut down all outdoor rides for a few hours, not because of crowd levels.

I know the earlier closing times seem harsh, but the parks don't seem busy enough to warrant late closings. Maybe they got burned on this last year and are trying to play it safe this time around.

Now we can legitimately complain about how Epcot's split hours have ruined capacity levels on busy days, and how Test Track runs out of FPs before Soarin', and how TPFKAMGM closes way too early. :)

JenniferS

Premium Member
Haha. I love the analogy. I do certainly remember when things used to be sold out much more consistently. Dating myself but I remember Titanic (Hey no judging, I was 9, and Titanic was awesome ;)) shows being sold out for weeks on end. That thing was in theaters for months. It's amazing thinking about that, and then thinking about how movies go in and out of theaters so fast.
Why would someone judge you for thinking Titanic was awesome? It was.
I was 30 when Titanic first came out. I paid to see it 12 times. I bought the DVD the day it was released. When it was re-released in 3D for the 100th anniversary, I was only able to see it 6 times, due to its limited run. The sixth and final time I saw it, I drove 80 km (each way) to see it on the last day it was playing. If it were still playing, I would be heading to a matinee tomorrow (Tuesday is cheap movie day in Ontario).
On an unrelated note, I have never seen Avatar, as nothing I saw or read about it at the time appealed to me. If they actually build Avatarland/Pandora in DAK, I will be thrilled to check it out, ride the rides, linger in the shops and possibly dine there. A) I think with Cameron's input and Disney's talent, it will be amazing; and B) There is not enough to do in DAK, so I'm kind of desperate.

Fox&Hound

Up's problem is shared with many Pixar movies (including Monsters U): It's made up of fairly strong concepts for some animated shorts, and then they said "screw it, let's make it feature-length" so they string together the touching love story of the infertile elderly couple with the zany talking dog adventure when really, each of those things is a 15-minute idea. (Wall-E is the worst with this; the first half hour or so is a pretty solid animated short, and then they go to the Axiom and the movie totally falls apart.)

Hmmmm....interesting point. I happen to love "Up" but have always found it to be disjointed myself. The love story between Carl and Ellie did not fit at all with the talking dogs. BUT- if you just had the love story you would alienate the kids and if you just had the talking dogs ("Squirrel") then you would have adults complaining it is low-brow humor. It tried to marry both topics but it definitely could have been done better.

JenniferS

Premium Member
Actually I got better service & steak at Outback compared to the last time I went to Le Cellier
And Outback has Blooming Onion, which is another bonus.
Plus, you're not sitting on top of your neighbour's lap, overhearing conversations three tables over.

AmongMadPeople

OK, confession time...I know this is going to be shocking, but I am not the brightest bulb on the tree sometimes. Please explain to me exactly what in the pluperfect hell, is the purpose of a FP for Wishes?

Do they have the show an hour earlier then anyone else is allowed to watch? Do they pass out blindfolds and ear plugs to everyone without a FP? I am at a loss to understand, actually two things...Do people really think that they can see a show that is primarily in the sky, if they are standing in a certain spot? (OK, not behind a tree) or will that be just another FP (of three) that Disney will be able to pass out instead of Splash?

It just seems to me that it is getting dumber by the moment. It seems that if someone as intellectually limited as I am starts to think that something sounds stupid, perhaps Disney needs to reconsider just how long they can continue to think that they can do anything and it will be slurped up like a Dole Whip Float.

It's not much different than the preferred viewing areas that are (maybe were?) included in Premium and Platinum packages. I've have more than my fair share of bad fireworks viewing (sudden kid on shoulders, tall person stands up), so I understand the appeal. FP for Wishes affects no one but the people who choose to use it, so I'm not bothered that's it's offered. In fact, it makes more sense to me than this expansion of FP to rides like it's a small world. MM+ as a whole, I get incensed discussing it and how it will impact the planning and in park experience.

nytimez

Try Bern's Steak House in Tampa (not a chain, there is only one location). Somewhat strange decor but fantastic food and service. I wonder if the Sprirt has ever eaten there...

I second this endorsement - the chateaubriand there might be the best steak I've ever had anywhere.

JenniferS

Premium Member
I'll still see it, just like I'll see Monsters U and World War Z despite their mixed reviews.
I'll see it too. Johnny Depp as a western Jack Sparrow should be fun.
And I'll be taking my niece and nephew to see Monsters U next week, after school is done.
End of the World is on tap for tomorrow. As long as they don't mock the rapture, I am not likely to be too offended.

JenniferS

Premium Member
What's there to do at WDW over the summer? I only go in the Fall and Winter due to festivities that go on. The weather is nice and perfect unlike the summer where half the tourists smell like BO...
Just half? That has not been my experience.

luv

I like Longhorn, too. My father, who ate steak all the time and was very (nearly exclusively, lol) "meat and potatos" had me picking up that Outlaw Ribeye for him more times than I care to remember. Place was fine with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom