Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

Don't know why Disney would get rid of EMH it's the main reason why a lot of people stay on-property heck it's one of the very few perks of staying on property. And isn't that TDO's main goal right now is to keep people on property.

Remember, EMH Nights were born out of E-Ride nights. Might we be shifting back to that economic program? Meaning extra $30 per person to stay late, only select rides open, limited attendance AND you have to stay on property.

Thoughts @WDW1974 / @Lee ?

the.dreamfinder

No, but it's Disney's Worst Kept Secret. So many departments have been notified of upcoming changes that everyone suspects something big at the Studios. Nothing has been officially announced yet.
Disney, as a company is so bad at keeping secrets, but an amazing animated short like Lorenzo has basically never seen the light of day.

PhotoDave219

That's interesting because wearable tech breaks and it can be expensive to replace. My Nike Fuelband that I've had for four months decided it wanted to break; the button broke which makes the band pretty useless when it's not connected to the computer via USB. Now the folks at Nike customer support were fantastic and they got my replacement under warranty to me in two business days. However bringing this back to the MagicBands and their current fumbles with MM+, I wonder how reliable the bands will be because I doubt Disney will want to replace an APers broken MagicBand without some sort of service charge and/or they may not be equipped to deal with the issues that could arise from defective MagicBands.
Food for thought.

For the folks who have tried on the MagicBands, how would you describe its build quality?

I'll ask a friend or two that moved over to them. I'm sticking with my RFID enabled AP

PhotoDave219

And that is why for every smiling having the time of their life guest I see, I usually see 3-4 that range from unhappy to miserable to I'd rather be getting a colonoscopy than be here types.

Okay, I know you give the "lifestylers" some crap (some deserved, some very well deserved, some not).... But I love walking around WDW with little/no agenda and no plans, just wandering around, people watching and enjoying the day. We pick rides/food/attractions based on how long the lines are. Its very relaxing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I asked this same question over the weekend, as my best friend from college and her family were down. It's just not enjoyable walking around EPCOT with a 100-degree heat index and much of the shade gone. It would be hard enough for a trained athlete, let alone someone who's a desk jockey up north 50 weeks out of the year. Honestly surprised we don't see more medical emergencies.

It's odd, back in the 70s/80s, my parents had no problem pulling me out of school for a week. Nor did it seem to impact my education in the long run. But today's helicopter parents seem loathe to do that, and would rather face the misery when school is out.

Were you following us around World Showcase? My friends had the same question. A lawyer and an investment banker, they can afford to shell out for DVC, but they were genuinely shocked by the dress and manner of the crowd around them. To them, it was like walking into a 4-star restaurant in NYC and seeing--well, the typical crowd at California Grill.

At the risk of someone getting their feathers ruffled, the explosion (oh, oh, here come the agents) of the USA's military industrial machine since 9/11 has been very good to a lot of very average at best minds. Whether working for Halliburton or Booz Allen (you know the FBI is reading this) or any of dozens of smaller named contractors, folks who 20 years ago would be visiting once in five years and staying Ag a seedy Days Inn on the OBT now can afford 10 nights at the Beach Club. Doesn't mean they belong there.

I remember being in a Subway near WDW with a friend, who may post here, in May of 2011 and we were having this same discussion when two scary-looking dudes wearing Blackwater tees came in.

These are the Americans who have been keeping WDW's numbers afloat largely since 2007-08.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My issue with WWZ was that the book was a fantasticly weaved narrative that was a collection of short stories from those who survived. It would have been a fantastic movie if they did it that way.... instead they went "traditional hollywood disaster" film.

yeah, read that ... But also heard that the narrative would have been difficult or impossible to translate into two hours at the movies ... But I do intend on reading the book too.

PhotoDave219

At the risk of someone getting their feathers ruffled, the explosion (oh, oh, here come the agents) of the USA's military industrial machine since 9/11 has been very good to a lot of very average at best minds. Whether working for Halliburton or Booz Allen (you know the FBI is reading this) or any of dozens of smaller named contractors, folks who 20 years ago would be visiting once in five years and staying Ag a seedy Days Inn on the OBT now can afford 10 nights at the Beach Club. Doesn't mean they belong there.

I remember being in a Subway near WDW with a friend, who may post here, in May of 2011 and we were having this same discussion when two scary-looking dudes wearing Blackwater tees came in.

These are the Americans who have been keeping WDW's numbers afloat largely since 2007-08.

Not to drift this horribly, but the Security Contractors pay a ridiculously insane sum compared to the average salary of your Special Forces or Operators. No disrespect to the anyone in JSOC intended at all of course, theyre just woefully underpaid compared to the Blackwater/XI contractors of the world.

However, Here's a fun project from WaPo on "Top Secret America" that looks deeply at how we've subcontracted National Security.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's interesting because wearable tech breaks and it can be expensive to replace. My Nike Fuelband that I've had for four months decided it wanted to break; the button broke which makes the band pretty useless when it's not connected to the computer via USB. Now the folks at Nike customer support were fantastic and they got my replacement under warranty to me in two business days. However bringing this back to the MagicBands and their current fumbles with MM+, I wonder how reliable the bands will be because I doubt Disney will want to replace an APers broken MagicBand without some sort of service charge and/or they may not be equipped to deal with the issues that could arise from defective MagicBands.
Food for thought.

For the folks who have tried on the MagicBands, how would you describe its build quality?
Cheap, but durable.

I still have a hard time seeing myself wearing one. And it.s not the wrist deal as I am an ancient Spirit who wears a watch and doesn't need to check with Siri Jobs to know what time it is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Remember, EMH Nights were born out of E-Ride nights. Might we be shifting back to that economic program? Meaning extra $30 per person to stay late, only select rides open, limited attendance AND you have to stay on property.

Thoughts @WDW1974 / @Lee ?

I don't believe so. They would likely be $30 now because they were around $12 in the late 90s when they started. I truly despised them. One summer (likely 2002) it seemed like the MK closed every night at 9 or 10 and then three nights a week they had the extra charge events. ...Disney is looking to be able to say that the average guest can do 9-10 attractions in a day so they have no reason to need extra hours.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Okay, I know you give the "lifestylers" some crap (some deserved, some very well deserved, some not).... But I love walking around WDW with little/no agenda and no plans, just wandering around, people watching and enjoying the day. We pick rides/food/attractions based on how long the lines are. Its very relaxing.

Why would I pick on anyone for that? It's largely how I visit WDW and have for the last 15 years or so.

But can we bash the Lifestylers anyway? At least Lou, Wannabe Lou, Brigante and whoever shut their site down when UNI didn't deem them important enough for the Transformers debut.

Cosmic Commando

yeah, read that ... But also heard that the narrative would have been difficult or impossible to translate into two hours at the movies ... But I do intend on reading the book too.

They would've had to make changes, but the zombies in the book are traditional and the zombies in the movie move in a fast, insect-like horde. They show them in the trailer climbing like a colony of ants over a 50ft wall. Totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom