Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

I doubt they'd re-do Osbourne with new LED tech in 2011 if they going to be removed/moved this year, or even three years from now.
This is part of the "plans change" syndrome and is indicative of why things end up costing so much.

In 2011, I wouldn't be surprised if TWDC intended to keep Osborne around for a while. Then TWDC bought LucasArts in 2012 and, in 2013, decided DHS needs major surgery.

Like they say about the U.S. budget, "a billion here, a billion there, soon you're talking about real money."

Disney's not much different and, as we've seen, wastes money all the time.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I doubt they'd re-do Osbourne with new LED tech in 2011 if they going to be removed/moved this year, or even three years from now.

It could be that when they moved to LED in 2011 that these DHS makeover plans either didn't exist or weren't very concrete/definite.

Pixiedustmaker

Both. Recall that when LMA was being constructed one year they didn't present them (think it was 2004, but could have been '03). There simply is no place for them to go at the Studios once they start tearing out the entire backlot area. The other parks are no gos for obvious reasons and while DD makes some sense if they wanted to continue the tradition, that would present all sorts if logistical nightmares. And that's before you add in the redo there.

LOL!

I think the worst part about the Carsland . . . oh wait! Disney has StarWars too so that will go in DHS 2.0 rumors are that they are so unimaginative. Sure, Burbank clones and plops down attractions in DHS, but there are so many amazingly creative things that could be done with DHS, and much less expensive than Carsland (heck, rockwork costs money).

I'm sure Osbourne could be moved to another park where guests pay to see it. They could make it less cheesy and decorate some pavilions in Epcot, like maybe France to Canada, with pavilion appropriate decorations, use DHS's 'main street', or even a special after hours hard ticket event on Main Street for a month. Even a section of AK could get something similar. Plenty of ways to have a nice tivoli light B mode, and then a song and blinking lights A mode at preplanned showtimes.

HMF

This is part of the "plans change" syndrome and is indicative of why things end up costing so much.

In 2011, I wouldn't be surprised if TWDC intended to keep Osborne around for a while. Then TWDC bought LucasArts in 2012 and, in 2013, decided DHS needs major surgery.

Like they say about the U.S. budget, "a billion here, a billion there, soon you're talking about real money."

Disney's not much different and, as we've seen, wastes money all the time.
In major media conglomerates like WDC the left hand is often unaware of what the right hand is doing.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
LOL!

I think the worst part about the Carsland . . . oh wait! Disney has StarWars too so that will go in DHS 2.0 rumors are that they are so unimaginative. Sure, Burbank clones and plops down attractions in DHS, but there are so many amazingly creative things that could be done with DHS, and much less expensive than Carsland (heck, rockwork costs money).

I'm sure Osbourne could be moved to another park where guests pay to see it. They could make it less cheesy and decorate some pavilions in Epcot, like maybe France to Canada, with pavilion appropriate decorations, use DHS's 'main street', or even a special after hours hard ticket event on Main Street for a month. Even a section of AK could get something similar. Plenty of ways to have a nice tivoli light B mode, and then a song and blinking lights A mode at preplanned showtimes.

You mean, put a holiday light show in EPCOT? Why on Earth haven't they thought of such a concept before?

the.dreamfinder

The lights most likely will be around two more years. They are my favorite part of Christmas season at WDW. That said, there are other entertainment options they could do when the makeover is happening and post.

Or they could simply move the lights over to Golden Oak!!!:D

Why do I get this strange feeling that Disney will let The Advocate do their piece on Georgie K once his and Andy's home at Golden Oak is done.
Yay synergy!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
One other thing I wanted to mention.

Several have written how DHS empties out in the evenings. I agree. I've seen this many times over the years and even written how my family enjoys late dinners at Mama Melrose's because, when we finish, that entire area of the park is empty. It's not a new phenomenon.

However, having been to Uni a lot recently, I'm amazed that the same thing happens in many IOA lands, even after WWOHP. Except for through traffic, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, and the Lost Continent are empty at night. Even Seuss Landing is pretty empty, with only WWOHP and Super Hero Island retaining crowds at night.

All I'm saying is if DHS has a problem, it could very well be that IOA has a similar problem. It could explain why Comcast still has a lot planned for IOA.

I have never seen IOA as DOA as TPFKaTD-MGMS has been the last few (more than that really) at night. I closed it down on three nights in May (including May 4th) and there were huge swaths of the park where we were the only people ... with no security around either. If we had wanted to 'wander' backstage, it would have been very easy.

I would guess that many of those nights there were about 1000 or 1500 people in the park and they all were on Hollywood or Sunset Blvds.

It reminded me of UNI back 5-6-7 years ago, but I've never experiened that at IOA.

Pixiedustmaker

I doubt it cost them that much to convert to LED lighting. Bet they've already made there money back

Quite possible, though they did pay somebody to do the synchronized music programing though here is the delima:

1. If the new Osbourne LEDs have paid for themselves (certainly the electric bills are much less), then that means the show is pretty profitable, I guess it would have to be already to pay people to put it up each year.

2. If the Osbourne LEDs aren't profitable yet, I bet they want to get a return on their money. Though they could probably move them somewhere else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Quite possible, though they did pay somebody to do the synchronized music programing though here is the delima:

1. If the new Osbourne LEDs have paid for themselves (certainly the electric bills are much less), then that means the show is pretty profitable, I guess it would have to be already to pay people to put it up each year.

2. If the Osbourne LEDs aren't profitable yet, I bet they want to get a return on their money. Though they could probably move them somewhere else.

Are you really unaware of the concept of ROI based on SAVINGS and not simply through generating new revenue?

The comment was about getting the return on their investment through reduced energy costs. I can't believe I needed to spell that out...

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 So did your sources say this ALONE was being announced at D23 ( or some permutation) or can we expect other WDW parks to get some love?

I didn't discuss anything but the project at hand. But I am reasonably sure that more ... should say something about Avatar will get shown to the public and they'll likely everything from the MK's new parade to the Grand Flo DVC to the changes coming to the Disney Magic ... and that's just the Florida end of things.

There will be considerable P&R announcements because they need it to really justify D23 Expo continuing. There is a lot of doubt as to whether this may well be the last one and there are factions in the company determined that it goes forward ... so you'll hear things unlike the waste that was the 2011 Expo.

Turtle

I didn't discuss anything but the project at hand. But I am reasonably sure that more ... should say something about Avatar will get shown to the public and they'll likely everything from the MK's new parade to the Grand Flo DVC to the changes coming to the Disney Magic ... and that's just the Florida end of things.

There will be considerable P&R announcements because they need it to really justify D23 Expo continuing. There is a lot of doubt as to whether this may well be the last one and there are factions in the company determined that it goes forward ... so you'll hear things unlike the waste that was the 2011 Expo.
So DHS refurb wouldn't be announced at D23?

the.dreamfinder

yFFp571.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's not about what I want, like one poster so eloquently put it, "I don't let my personal feelings interfere with my professional assessment".

Neither do I. I deal in facts. My feelings only come through in opinions when offered.

You said:

You have made it well known that you feel that certain guests are being ignored, like yourself. WDW's bottom-line, and theme park attendance are not based upon a subset of fans feeling ignored. So, no WDW is not doing fine because I think it can "simply ignore its parks" . . . WDW's bottom-line is doing fine because its attendance is at record levels, guests are spending more, the economy is rebounding.

Your style of debating this issue is not based on the facts, is emotional, and manipulative to a certain degree, and doesn't appear to be an honest discussion.

If WDW's attendance was down I'd sure be crowing about that online and how they should add new attractions. You misgivings regarding WDW are based upon a biased opinion where their business practices (ignoring super fans?) will lead them. All evidence to contrary points to the fact that WDW is doing quite well, and has some new offerings in the mix, though I personally don't like the idea of Avatarland, I can see it helping AK.

No, this isn't about me at all. Or you. Or anyone. This is about what Disney is planning to do to breathe new life into their third gate in Orlando.
What I feel as a guest is neither here nor there, although you can read the first few pages of this thread for my largely glowing review of my last visit.

I am dealing with facts. They just may not be facts you are aware of or like. It doesn't change things. ... And if you don't like my style of debating feel free to leave the thread. You can pester Eddie Sotto or other folks.

I haven't discussed one bit about how Disney treats 'super fans' nor have I ever to my recollection used such a term.

71jason

Just because you don't like Osbourne Lights, doesn't mean that a lot of people don't, its supposed to be quite popular and has certainly developed a following for many.

No doubt it has, but popular doesn't necessarily equal profit. A large percentage of the people who see the Lights before Christmas are APs--they'd have to be, it's the slowest time of the year. I suspect a lot are maingated in, as well--hard to believe people would spend $90 for a 15-minute experience. There is no event-specific merchandise--Christmas Mickeys and what-not, but those can be sold anywhere. I guess High Octane gets a boost selling "Snowballs" [still makes me snicker] but that's at most a 1-hour increase--even with a line down the stairs, management makes them shut down at 7:00 p.m. While I'd miss the Lights--annual tradition to kick off the holiday season--I can easily see how Cars Land would be far more profitable.

BrianLo

We do have a favorable exchange right, but that is a phenomenal rate. Have heard great things about that hotel.

Even better since I was calculating it in Canadian dollars. You'd save a whole 2.50USD right now. ;)

I'll let you know how it is in a few weeks from now.

I know this is a complete side conversation, but where does TDL/TDS fit into all of this? I assume we won't hear much from them as they have their own D23 later on, but they must not be having a field day if WDW is actually receiving multiple additions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom