Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

One other thing I wanted to mention.

Several have written how DHS empties out in the evenings. I agree. I've seen this many times over the years and even written how my family enjoys late dinners at Mama Melrose's because, when we finish, that entire area of the park is empty. It's not a new phenomenon.

However, having been to Uni a lot recently, I'm amazed that the same thing happens in many IOA lands, even after WWOHP. Except for through traffic, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, and the Lost Continent are empty at night. Even Seuss Landing is pretty empty, with only WWOHP and Super Hero Island retaining crowds at night.

All I'm saying is if DHS has a problem, it could very well be that IOA has a similar problem. It could explain why Comcast still has a lot planned for IOA.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I don't disagree about Disney's mammoth prescence in O-town. But I think there is a point being missed and that is Disney losing guests to UNI ... And once you do, it takes a helluva lot to get them back, something Walt understood but the arrogant leaders of WDW today do not. Five more years of next to nothing new at WDW while UNI is constantly adding AND pushing the bar of immersive themed attractions/parks can (and will, IMHO) alter vacation habits.

Just because a company has been on top doesn't mean it always shall be.

Just ask General Motors...

HenryMystic

All I'm saying is if DHS has a problem, it could very well be that IOA has a similar problem. It could explain why Comcast still has a lot planned for IOA.
IoA needs and will be getting a lagoon show. I'd also argue that they need more table service restaurants. Their introduction of the Universal Dining Plan highlighted how limited they are in that department. USF has Lombards and IoA has Mythos. Both are dirt cheap by Disney standards.

If they could figure out a way to squeeze in Hogwarts Great Hall somewhere, they could charge $50 a plate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
During the company's conference call announcing first-quarter results, Disney CEO Bob Iger said: "Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort both set new attendance records for the quarter."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/01/disney-theme-park-stocks/2343753/

WDW is doing quite well, 'nough said.

I take Bob's words on the state of WDW like I take the government's on their unconstitutional and illegal spying program. ... In other words I realize how self-serving they are.

If you torture numbers (or fanbois) enough, they'll say whatever you want. Sure, WDW is doing fine if you believe it can simply ignore its parks largely and continually offer guests less for their money and think that it is having and won't have an effect on the bottom line down the road.

Pixiedustmaker

I remain extremely skeptical that they would remove all of LMA/Backlot Tour/HISTK/SOA (and have an empty Soundstage 1 sitting there) and only add Cars Land with 2 attractions. If they are really using all of that space, I've got to think that additional Pixar attractions are in the works. Cars Land simply can't use up that much room.

Quite possibly, DHS could add an E-Ticket in 7 years, and it could easily be done by using Pixar Place and Soundstage 1, maybe even utilize the castmember costuming building . . . they wouldn't even have to take out Backlot or LMA, though obviously they could provide something more interest for Backlot to see than costuming in that building.

Seriously doubt Sci-Fi is going, along with so many other attractions, Carsland is large, no doubt about it. I think the overlays with DHS showed it eating up LMA, Backlot, SoA, and some of Sound Stage 1 . . .

asianway

It all depends on what year you want to use as baselines ... The MK had more attractions in say 1992 than it did in 2002 or even 2012. Of course, character meet and greets were not considered attractions in the 70s or 80s too. And capacity overall has gone down as dining locales and shops were shuttered and live entertainment venues disappeared. The MK of today is a far emptier experience now.
Diamond Horseshoe, Canoes, Keelboats, Skyway, Starland show, Tomorrowland Theatre, Walt Disney Story, Cinema, Penny Arcade, All day Main St vehicles...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Quite possibly, DHS could add an E-Ticket in 7 years, and it could easily be done by using Pixar Place and Soundstage 1, maybe even utilize the castmember costuming building . . . they wouldn't even have to take out Backlot or LMA, though obviously they could provide something more interest for Backlot to see than costuming in that building.

Seriously doubt Sci-Fi is going, along with so many other attractions, Carsland is large, no doubt about it. I think the overlays with DHS showed it eating up LMA, Backlot, SoA, and some of Sound Stage 1 . . .

This was swiped from the original Carsland at DHS thread:

OK...very rough but it does show that there is more than enough room.

I mirror flipped Carsland and turned it to show that there is more than enough room for the whole area at DHS.

Some rearranging of the Carsland and it would easily fit into the existing property with some removal of outdated and ineffective attractions.

CARSLANDDHs.jpg

Looks like an easy fit over just BLT and LMA and that includes a full clone of RSR. If the rock work is left out and RSR is replaced with a Cars dark ride I would think it would be even smaller.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The thread discussing said article was closed. I personally think that article was 100% bogus garbage. Sounds crazy to say that DHS is getting Carsland, StarWarsland, Pixar rides . . . yeah right. Streets of America is pretty popular when they put up the Osbourne Lights, fans would be apoplectic if they took these out, hence not much room for Carsland there, unless they build out into the parking lot.

I don't see how it was closed as it had 15 pages when last I looked and many posts by you touting absurd gibberish about fifth gates.

The original story by Robert Niles wasn't '100% bogus garbage'' ... Niles isn't a typical Disney Lifestyle blogging . The man has multiple degrees in journalism and has worked in the field. And not getting two minutes to spin Disney talking points on the O-Town FOX affiliate. @pheneix -- who has a great track record -- backed him up and offered considerable reasons why. I checked with a few top sources and they backed up all/most of what was reported.

You may not like that Disney is remaking the park, although I can't fathom why any fan would have an issue with the company investing in a park that needs it, but that is the reality.

And, no, they won't be expanding into the parking lot.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't see how it was closed as it had 15 pages when last I looked and many posts by you touting absurd gibberish about fifth gates.

The original story by Robert Niles wasn't '100% bogus garbage'' ... Niles isn't a typical Disney Lifestyle blogging . The man has multiple degrees in journalism and has worked in the field. And not getting two minutes to spin Disney talking points on the O-Town FOX affiliate. @pheneix -- who has a great track record -- backed him up and offered considerable reasons why. I checked with a few top sources and they backed up all/most of what was reported.

You may not like that Disney is remaking the park, although I can't fathom why any fan would have an issue with the company investing in a park that needs it, but that is the reality.

It wasn't closed. Just merged with the other Star Wars at DHS thread.

WDW1974

Original Poster
People also travelled for PI, the Adventurers Club, EPCOT, etc but they have proven nothing is sacred, I don't think Christmas lights are untouchable. We're talking about a company that uses profit per square foot as a metric. SoA is going to come up short any way you dice it.

Great point. I was talking to someone very knowledgeable in the. Business earlier and he mentioned this metric and then compared Disney and UNI on a profit per ACRE model and well ...suddenly those 28,000 acres don't seem as limitless as Walt thought.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ha, ha. Well, a lot more people pack in to see the Osbourne lights than the Adventurers Club. And they are more profitable since going LED. Even if they took out SoA, doubtless they'd be made to move them elsewhere by fans. Based on the huge crowds, I feel confident saying that the Osbourne lights are safe. Can you imagine the headlines? Disney kills 'Osbourne' Christmas Light Spectacular? No way, especially not with the 2011 upgrades they made.

Doubt that SoA is going anywhere for at least seven years given the investment Disney made and the popularity of the lights at this location.

Headlines?

You are a real comedian.

Pixiedustmaker

It's not about what I want, like one poster so eloquently put it, "I don't let my personal feelings interfere with my professional assessment".

You said:

Sure, WDW is doing fine if you believe it can simply ignore its parks largely and continually offer guests less for their money and think that it is having and won't have an effect on the bottom line down the road.

You have made it well known that you feel that certain guests are being ignored, like yourself. WDW's bottom-line, and theme park attendance are not based upon a subset of fans feeling ignored. So, no WDW is not doing fine because I think it can "simply ignore its parks" . . . WDW's bottom-line is doing fine because its attendance is at record levels, guests are spending more, the economy is rebounding.

Your style of debating this issue is not based on the facts, is emotional, and manipulative to a certain degree, and doesn't appear to be an honest discussion.

If WDW's attendance was down I'd sure be crowing about that online and how they should add new attractions. You misgivings regarding WDW are based upon a biased opinion where their business practices (ignoring super fans?) will lead them. All evidence to contrary points to the fact that WDW is doing quite well, and has some new offerings in the mix, though I personally don't like the idea of Avatarland, I can see it helping AK.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The last Muppet movie was pretty good (I was pleasantly surprised!), and there is a sequel in the works. Kinda silly that the anonymous sources say no more Muppets . . . Miceage said no more Nemo Subs, then they announced Nemo 2. I'd take these rumors with a big grain of salt. I like the Muppets, though I'd like a new show.

Just correcting a factual inaccuracy here as Miceage said no such thing. They said the subs were on the chopping block depending on what T-land redo was planned. That was accurate ... And still is.

Pixiedustmaker

The original story by Robert Niles wasn't '100% bogus garbage'' ... Niles isn't a typical Disney Lifestyle blogging .

Well, he seems to want to teach people how to make money off the internet:

"Robert Niles is the author of How to Make Money Publishing Community News
Online and Stories from a Theme Park Insider."

A little blurb off the internet.

ParentsOf4

I don't disagree about Disney's mammoth prescence in O-town. But I think there is a point being missed and that is Disney losing guests to UNI ... And once you do, it takes a helluva lot to get them back, something Walt understood but the arrogant leaders of WDW today do not. Five more years of next to nothing new at WDW while UNI is constantly adding AND pushing the bar of immersive themed attractions/parks can (and will, IMHO) alter vacation habits.

Just because a company has been on top doesn't mean it always shall be.
WDW's definitely losing guests to Uni and has been since 2010. The speculation/guess/opinion is which way will it go in the future? Will Uni win more "WDW days", lose more, or maintain?

Uni faces two basic groups that are the source of the lost vacation days.

The first is the Pixiedust Brigade. There are a lot of adults who spent their childhoods at WDW and want to share that experience with their children. They go perhaps once every 2 or 3 years and, for them, every day at WDW is precious. They are not going to switch loyalties just because Uni comes out with some fantastic attractions. IMHO, half of them go to WDW for the Mickey Ice Bars (even though they taste identical elsewhere), the Dole Whips, Main Street USA (even if it's only a shell of its former self), and the Monorail (even if it's starting to show its age). Right now, they're giving Uni a try to checkout WWOHP. But I don't see them flocking there for Despicable Me (which my family really likes). I really don't know which way Transformers is going to go but it's not going to be another WWOHP.

TWDC's plans for the next several years are going to be more than enough to keep the pixiedusters happy. Gee, they're going to think a new parade at MK is the greatest thing ever and the "kiddie coaster" (;)) is the most amazing attraction since Tower Of Terror. Heck, they got excited about a bathroom, that's how well Disney has trained them to lower expectations.

And the Pixiedust Brigade is much larger than any equivalent brigade at Uni.

The second is the casual Orlando vacationer. They don't have particular loyalties and will chase after the latest whiz-bang. They're going to have a great time at Uni for the next 5 years. However, Comcast can't keep pumping money into Uni forever. At some point they are going to be pressured to cut back on capex. Once Comcast does, the casual Orlando vacationer is going to hear about those additions at WDW and will want to check those out. By then, WWOHP Parts 1 & 2 will be old news, as will a lot of Uni's additions. It's the bane of all amusement parks. At some point Uni's going to run out of steam. If WDW continues to sit on its hands, then Uni has a chance. But with TWDC creating a DHS redo, moving forward with Avatar, throwing in a couple of new or updated attractions at MK and Epcot, expanding DTD, they're eventually going to return to WDW for the latest whiz-bang.

Both crowds already are giving Uni days. They'll continue to do so as long as Uni builds. But Uni can't build forever. Uni doesn't have Cinderella's Castle. Uni doesn't have those meet and greets that turns some adults into blithering children. (You've seen them; the ones that act like 2-year-olds when some guy walks by dressed as Goofy.) And Uni doesn't have Mickey Mouse. Is Uni ever going to be able to get more than a couple of days out of, after all, what really is a WDW vacation for most Orlando tourists?

I'm just not seeing it. WWOHP Part 2, expanded Jurassic Park, a leveled Toon Lagoon all sound great. There's a reason I'm renewing my Uni AP. But, in the end, I don't think Uni's ever going to be more than a couple of days, especially if Iger & co. actually start trying to do something with WDW. At least, not until Uni figures out a way to create its own Magic Kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom