Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

donvincenzo

Quick chime-in: Best Coaster for me goes to either Incredible Hulk or my current #1: Millennium Force. Everest, as a pure coaster, is just okay. The theming of the mountain boosts its listing but not by much as it wouldn't break my Top Ten. However, "Best Coaster" is purely subjective. I believe that El Toro may have been voted best coaster last year by coaster enthusiasts. Technically, I would say that Everest is probably tied for best Disney coaster for me as I think BTMRR provides a good overall ride.

Taking away theming and the fact that it's in a sucky Six Flags park, El Toro is truly, from a physical thrill standpoint, an incredible coaster. One of, if not the, best pure roller coaster I've ever been on. There's three great coasters in that park; Nitro is excellent, and Kingda Ka, while the shortest coaster you'll ever wait three hours for, is 45 seconds of pure adrenaline.

Before extra restraints were added, Superman at Six Flags New England was probably the best coaster I had been on. But I also haven't had the good fortune to experience Millennium Force.

doctornick

Or they could build a DC Comics island and connect it to Marvel...you'd have all the best superheroes in one park!

Serious question: Does Six Flags have exclusive rights to DC characters since they use them in their parks throughout the country? I think that is why Universal opted to go with Marvel to begin with at IoA since the DC characters, whom they prefered, were nto available.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Serious question: Does Six Flags have exclusive rights to DC characters since they use them in their parks throughout the country? I think that is why Universal opted to go with Marvel to begin with at IoA since the DC characters, whom they prefered, were nto available.

"Our licensing agreement with DC Comics and Warner Bros. Consumer Products allows Six Flags the exclusive theme park rights to many of the world's greatest cartoon characters and super heroes, from Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes friends to DC Comics Super Heroes Batman, Robin, The Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and The Flash, enabling Six Flags to offer our 26 million guests a full character program, including character meet and greets, meals, photograph and autograph opportunities and new retail options"

http://investors.sixflags.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61629&p=irol-homeprofile

donvincenzo

"Our licensing agreement with DC Comics and Warner Bros. Consumer Products allows Six Flags the exclusive theme park rights to many of the world's greatest cartoon characters and super heroes, from Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes friends to DC Comics Super Heroes Batman, Robin, The Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and The Flash, enabling Six Flags to offer our 26 million guests a full character program, including character meet and greets, meals, photograph and autograph opportunities and new retail options"

http://investors.sixflags.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61629&p=irol-homeprofile

It's a shame, because they can't build a themed attraction to save their life.

donvincenzo

The Dark Knight ride wasn't bad but still they really don't excel at this.

Not knocking your opinion, but I thought it was awful, at least the one in Jersey. The pre-show was ok, but other than that, didn't like it in the least.

A tip to them if they're trying to create an immersive environment - don't have Bieber music videos playing in the queue, and don't have your attraction employees wear the same bright yellow shirts as every other employee in the park.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Not knocking your opinion, but I thought it was awful, at least the one in Jersey. The pre-show was ok, but other than that, didn't like it in the least.

A tip to them if they're trying to create an immersive environment - don't have Bieber music videos playing in the queue, and don't have your attraction employees wear the same bright yellow shirts as every other employee in the park.

I didn't say it was good, just not bad. I thought the pre show was the best part but still they are pretty bad at the "show". In their defense though, that really isn't their MO or demographic of guest.

donvincenzo

I didn't say it was good, just not bad. I thought the pre show was the best part but still they are pretty bad at the "show". In their defense though, that really isn't their MO or demographic of guest.

Not their demo, true, but I thought it was bad, but hey, to each his own. If I had waited more than 5 minutes I woulda been upset.

Six Flags has no desire to create an immersive environment.

Overall I'd say you're absolutely right, but if you've been on that Dark Knight coaster, they were obviously trying to go for something along those lines, but failed, IMHO.

articos

Do they need more room to expand JP? A lot of basically unused space there, behind Thunder Falls Terrace, and where Triceratops Encounter used to be (still is, I guess.)

Part of me hopes that they'll be able to keep Sweethaven if they get ride of most of Toon Lagoon. It's the best-executed part of that area. So much of TL is kind of a jumbled mess (I get that it's supposed to look cluttered, and in the age of Instagram it's got a lot of opportunities for quick, funny picture taking, but I've never gone into any of the stores or restaurants there in all the times I've been to IOA, because it all just seems so generic.)
There is one expansion pad next to River Adventure. There's something planned to take the Trike Encounter space as well.
Is there a good reason that nothing's ever gone in that theater? Seems like such a waste.
Nothing's stuck, but nothing really good has been done there. UIOA's weak spot has always been shows. That theater is in a weird spot, though, too, making it hard for guest flow to get back there and fill it. And it's too big. Doesn't make sense operationally or quality-wise to do shows for 1/4 filled houses.

Calvin Coolidge

There is one expansion pad beside River Adventure. There's something planned to take the Trike Encounter space as well.

Makes sense to me!

Nothing's stuck, but nothing really good has been done there. UIOA's weak spot has always been shows.

You're right, but I will always defend Sindbad.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to put a Marvel stunt show/musical/whatever in that theater. Would they be allowed to introduce a new Marvel attraction or would Disney now have veto power there?

misterID

Coming from a theming standpoint, Expedition Everest has to be the best coaster. Yeti or not. Revenge of the Mummy comes close, and so do Space Mountain (DLR) and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Man, that's tough. The ride itself, I'd give to the Mummy, hands down. The overall theme, it's hard to beat Everest. I might put Mummy ahead, just because the ride is so good. I've heard the parks in Asia the Mummy theming is really, really outstanding.

Who knows? I hope it isn't LOTR. I don't want Islands of Adventure to become the "Lord of the Rings AND Harry Potter theme park". Sadly, Toon Lagoon is my least favorite island. The characters are dated, it's bare around the theater (ugh), there are carnival games, too many shops, Dudley feels incomplete, etc. I do think the Sweet Haven area around Popeye is really nice. And I adore Popeye. And Dudley's facade is awesome and it's a lot of fun to watch.

Maybe a non-IP based island...? Ha. Doubt it.

I don't think it will be LOTR, as the Tolkien estate doesn't want the IP in a theme park, but who knows if that will change. Off the top of my head, I'd say Madagascar, but it's supposed to blow Avatar away. Skull Island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom