Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryMystic

Remember the selling point of NextGen allowing custom/personalized character interactions?

Well, Universal Creative just quietly dropped this amazing tech into USH yesterday:

http://www./2013/05/interactive-tal...tudios-hollywood-at-transformers-the-ride-3d/

All done without the creepy wristbands and the billion dollar boondoggle.

lazyboy97o

Remember the selling point of NextGen allowing custom/personalized character interactions?

Well, Universal Creative just quietly dropped this amazing tech into USH yesterday:

http://www./2013/05/interactive-tal...tudios-hollywood-at-transformers-the-ride-3d/

It's probably just voice changers. Not sure how its really related to NextGen or even all that amazing.

HenryMystic

It's probably just voice changers. Not sure how its really related to NextGen or even all that amazing.
Because its done on the spot and organic. It requires actual interaction with a guest and not uploading creepy data from a server.

You don't find it impressive that a person on stilts, in a heavy costume is not only navigating the suit but managing to offer a unique encounter with a guest?

I'm not sure who is controlling the dialog, but its so quick and seamless I almost wonder if the person in the suit is an equity improv actor.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Not sure how the technology works but isn't this similar to Turtle Talk with crush? The kids do love it.

SirLink

Well seen as my post was deleted - I will just say welcome back Spirited one - guess I can't mention having a "hot" phone the past week.

lazyboy97o

Because its done on the spot and organic. It requires actual interaction with a guest and not uploading creepy data from a server.

You don't find it impressive that a person on stilts, in a heavy costume is not only navigating the suit but managing to offer a unique encounter with a guest?

I'm not sure who is controlling the dialog, but its so quick and seamless I almost wonder if the person in the suit is an equity improv actor.
The face characters at Disney and Universal already ask questions and interact. The whole gimmick behind the application of NextGen is already being "known" and "excepted". Cinderella knowing you are coming is different than her asking your name, and that is what Disney is hoping to exploit.

It's also not animated like the live talking Mickey that Disney has been working on for the past several years.

ThemeParks4Life

You know, I can see why people are saying the voice isn't ZOMGAMAZING!!!!!! When you get down to it, it's just a voice, it's not like Mickey where it's animated. That's not to say the costume aren't impressive, which they are.

CDavid

I adored old-school Sea World. Loved it. Back then it was a small, local attraction with simple pleasures.
The logo did not even have a orca on it...it was a dolphin! Yeah..i am talking 1981/1982.

This was back when Florida Festival was still there across in the parking lot.. in those huge white coned tents. I tried gator for the first time there ( Al E. Gators was the name of the resturant..) and made pinback buttons there as a kid.

I still remember Stars' Hall of Fame Wax Museum over near Sea World. Somehow we made it there one year in the early 80's but not Sea World, because I have video of the museum. Sorry to get all off-topic, but whatever happened to all those figures and sets anyway?

Seems like many elements of the wristbands (not sure if I like creepy wristbands better or mouse-arrest bands) could be accomplished without all the (horrifically expensive) gee-whiz technology of MM+, much as Universal is doing. I just can't see the $2 billion investment being worth it; On the other hand, I could very easily see "epic fail" written all over this.

Skibum1970

Then what is your favorite coaster?

Quick chime-in: Best Coaster for me goes to either Incredible Hulk or my current #1: Millennium Force. Everest, as a pure coaster, is just okay. The theming of the mountain boosts its listing but not by much as it wouldn't break my Top Ten. However, "Best Coaster" is purely subjective. I believe that El Toro may have been voted best coaster last year by coaster enthusiasts. Technically, I would say that Everest is probably tied for best Disney coaster for me as I think BTMRR provides a good overall ride.

wishiwere@wdw

Quite the opposite now. The past two years we've actually congratulated them on the cleanliness of the park, the landscaping, and the staff.

Apart from Cheetah Hunt load. I hope that's improved by the fall.
Agreed. They were in an unfortunate downward spiral under InBev but things have drastically improved for the better since the selloff. They obviously can't do much about the surrounding area but its still worth the drive!

Funmeister

Here is the thing. It is related to NextGen and probably not all that amazing from a tech standpoint. This reminds me a lot of the Epbots. Even though they were pre-recorded they were still interactive with the types of pre-recorded sounds they played.

The way it is related to NextGen is the outcome. At the end of the day the guest will see no difference between a Disney character interacting with them then a Universal character interacting with them. The HUGE difference is Universal is doing it for a fraction of a fraction of the cost Disney is doing it through NextGen. Different amounts of $$ spent but some guest satisfaction of an interacting character.

Funmeister

You know, I can see why people are saying the voice isn't ZOMGAMAZING!!!!!! When you get down to it, it's just a voice, it's not like Mickey where it's animated. That's not to say the costume aren't impressive, which they are.

Transformers do not have to be animated to pull off voice interaction with guests.

lazyboy97o

Here is the thing. It is related to NextGen and probably not all that amazing from a tech standpoint. This reminds me a lot of the Epbots. Even though they were pre-recorded they were still interactive with the types of pre-recorded sounds they played.

The way it is related to NextGen is the outcome. At the end of the day the guest will see no difference between a Disney character interacting with them then a Universal character interacting with them. The HUGE difference is Universal is doing it for a fraction of a fraction of the cost Disney is doing it through NextGen. Different amounts of $$ spent but some guest satisfaction of an interacting character.
Characters already interacted before the NextGen project and the interactive masked characters are tangential to but separate from NextGen. NextGen is trying to create a "better" interactivity that comes with the surprise of prior knowledge, not just having a conversation. The Disney face characters already can have a conversation. Mickey talking to you isn't for some time still, NextGen will be part of meet and greets first with Princesses knowing your name. The Transformers don't know anything about you, they can just talk to you like the face characters at both have already done for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom