Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM

Since you brought up Man of Steel I should warn you it's currently sitting at a 69% approval rating on RT, 54% for "Top Critics". I'm thinking this may not be the big creative hit that Superman fans have wanted (Imagine, 2 within ten years of each other).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

I'm curious if that will have any bearing on all the kiddies who just got out of school for summer. I've also found very little correlation between a critic's opinion/approval rating of a movie and my enjoyment of a movie. Do you find that as well?

flynnibus

Premium Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/11/man-steel-hollywood-break-superheroes

Or when Bob Iger will learn that superhero movies, like the comics they're based on, are cyclical.

That piece reads like the classic 'critic who doesn't get action movies' review.

I especially like the paragraph that starts... 'One thing that is puzzling about modern-day superhero movies is that the skill set of the individual hero is often poorly defined.'

Uhh.. because they constantly are adapted and modified as the storylines needed? :) Obviously never read a comic book...

ThemeParks4Life

I'm looking forward to seeing Man of Steel sometime this weekend or Monday night, but the above average approval rate has me worried. Thankfully, it's 7/10 at the moment. I have a feeling Father's Day will have an impact on the box office, but could it match Toy Story 3's numbers from 2010?

As far as The Walking Dead, I don't really care for the TV show and haven't read the comics, but Telltale's game is amazing. Can't wait until 400 Days and Season 2.

Animaniac93-98

I'm curious if that will have any bearing on all the kiddies who just got out of school for summer. I've also found very little correlation between a critic's opinion/approval rating of a movie and my enjoyment of a movie. Do you find that as well?

Honestly, no, generally I agree with critics. I'm sure kids will like it since it doesn't take much to please them (realistically speaking), but at this point I think Superman fans are hoping for something a little more than "good enough".

That kind of reverse-hipster-snob thinking of "Oh, I'm better than those high-brow critics who expect everything to be good. Those egg-head hacks" to be largely BS. Outside of tentpole franchise releases like Twilight and Transformers, most people think a good movie is good (Casablanca) and a bad one is bad (The Happening). Which isn't really all that surprising. I seriously doubt anyone disagrees with them "most" of the time.

MattM

Honestly, no, generally I agree with critics. I'm sure kids will like it since it doesn't take much to please them (realistically speaking), but at this point I think Superman fans are hoping for something a little more than "good enough".

That kind of reverse-hipster-snob thinking of "Oh, I'm better than those high-brow critics who expect everything to be good. Those egg-head hacks" to be largely BS. Outside of tentpole franchise releases like Twilight and Transformers, most people think a good movie is good (Casablanca) and a bad one is bad (The Happening). Which isn't really all that surprising. I seriously doubt anyone disagrees with them "most" of the time.

I'd hardly say I think I'm a reverse-hipster-snob better than those high-brow critics (maybe you deleted this b/c it only showed when I hit reply?), that was not my point. I'm sure a critics criteria for a good movie and mine are completely different. I'm looking to be entertained for a few hours; to be told a good story.

But I think you're right, it won't take much to please the younger crowd. And I don't know how the Superman fans will like it; I don't consider myself a "fan" of Superman, but the trailers make the movie look interesting enough to check out.

Animaniac93-98

I'm sure a critics criteria for a good movie and mine are completely different. I'm looking to be entertained for a few hours; to be told a good story.

I'm pretty sure critics, like everyone who sees a movie, is looking for what you are in the second sentence here.

MattM

I'm pretty sure critics, like everyone who sees a movie, is looking for what you are in the second sentence here.

True. But I guess what our definitions of "good" are is where the difference comes in. They may be looking for something much deeper in Superman than I. I'm looking for a superhero action flick that keeps me entertained. That's about it for Superman.

71jason

I have never heard it mentioned at all beyond fan forums ... not at all. Nothing.

BUT ... some folks that I may have some respect for ... even @Lee (I think) have seen or heard that there may have been something to it.

Back before "Another Voice" abandoned message boards for Twitter, and back when the DIS still had an occasional intelligent conversation, he mentioned there that this had been a contingency plan to justify building a bunch of minimally themed off-the-shelf thrill rides if the soon-to-open IoA started taking away WDW business. Been a while, can't remember if a land at MK or an actual park, I lean toward the former. But, of course, UOR botched the launch of IoA, TDO became convinced they were untouchable, and the plan got scrapped.

Vaguely remembered second-hand information, but AV seemed to know his stuff--called the closing of PI in January 2008, for example.

GLaDOS

When the time comes, one of you guys is going to have to explain to me which one I should buy. I keep hearing about how awful they both are from the E3 presentations.

Both E3 presentations were very good. Don't know where you're hearing your reactions from though.

PS4 is cheaper at $399, the more powerful gaming system, and is much more consumer friendly than the Xbox One. So that's where my money is going.

lebeau

Both E3 presentations were very good. Don't know where you're hearing your reactions from though.

PS4 is cheaper at $399, the more powerful gaming system, and is much more consumer friendly than the Xbox One. So that's where my money is going.

Bits from Entertainment Weekly and IGN. I haven't followed the roll-outs remotely closely.

I just got my X-Box 360 this past X-Mas (thanks, Santa/me). I'll probably wait at least a year before committing to the next generation console. Back in the day, I always seemed to adopt the second most popular system. I had a Sega Genesis instead of a Super Nintendo. Thought I learned my lesson so I got a Nintendo 64 instead of a Playstation. (Goldeneye was awesome, so it was worth it.) Then I got an X-box over Playstation 2 (no complaints there either).

If Xbox One is more than $400, count me out. Looks like I'll own my first ever Playstation. Once they drop the price that is.

lebeau

I usually wait a year or two after the new systems have came out to buy one. And it will be a PS4

I learned that lesson the hard way. Also, kids. Kids are expensive. And my kids could care less if daddy has an Xbox 360 or an XBox One or an Atari 2600 for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom