Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I will be eating at Artist Point and Tusker House later this fall because free dining has finally flopped and I can get those places for 40% off with my CM pals.

I keep stating this, but folks do not seem to get how significant this desperation dining move really is for the bottom line of Food and Beverage.

I do as well - The DDP was a modified 'American Plan' which was popularized by the summer hotels at the turn of the 20'th century where all your meals were included with lodging,

5 Years ago the F&B pricing was reasonable and DDP covered 70'th percentile meals and DDP was reasonably priced and a good but not great value plus the convenience factor which also has value.

Fast forward 5 years of huge price increases, central food preparation and the concomitant dumbing down of meals because many recipes need to be cooked fresh not precooked and reheated in hot water, or humidified ovens, reduced quality of ingredients ie strip loin replacing prime rib, Menu Prices have increased DRAMATICALLY to make the now way overpriced DDP 'look like' a good value.

For 4 adults DDP is north of $200/Day which is absolutely insane. Being DVC we've resorted to cooking in the room and eating offsite except for a couple favorites we always do. 5 years ago we used to use the DxDDP and do brunch and a signature but with the dumbing down of food offerings and price increases it's longer worth the tariff. I don't mind paying for a good meal if you are ever in Portsmouth NH try the 'Blue Strawberry' its a chef's table only restaurant.

F&B has been faking bottom line growth with the ever increasing prices of DDP and finally they found the price point at which people are no longer willing to pay. The high rack rates with 'Free Dining' are also at the inflection point. So I think we will see F&B be the first P&R division to crater revenue wise followed by a bunch of others triggered by the knock on effects.

lazyboy97o

Where is this nonsense about announcements is coming from? When was the last time any part of The Walt Disney Company made an announcement at the start of the fiscal year? We seem to play this silly game every year.

71jason

Had my first "real world" conversation about RFID chips in soda cups last night. Outside the context of an online message board, it's funny how strange (and chintzy) the system sounds to people who are used to refills at their local fast food joint.

"The machine said I get two more refills in the next hour."
"That's because of the computer chip in the cup."
[Blank stare]
"There's a computer chip? Isn't that more expensive than the soda?"

This wasn't mugs--this was just the paper cup.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Had my first "real world" conversation about RFID chips in soda cups last night. Outside the context of an online message board, it's funny how strange (and chintzy) the system sounds to people who are used to refills at their local fast food joint.

"The machine said I get two more refills in the next hour."
"That's because of the computer chip in the cup."
[Blank stare]
"There's a computer chip? Isn't that more expensive than the soda?"

This wasn't mugs--this was just the paper cup.

Ohh ohh! Did you get the blank stare, deer eyed response? Because that is what makes-or-breaks such moments for me.

I wait for the deer. Then smile inside. Then sigh loudly as another bit of technology goes right over the head of the person in question.

PeterAlt

Where is this nonsense about announcements is coming from? When was the last time any part of The Walt Disney Company made an announcement at the start of the fiscal year? We seem to play this silly game every year.
It's a fun game. Actually, there's no other choice because they haven't thrown us any bones to chew on that would otherwise keep us occupied.

WDWFanDave

Specifically, what did you see?

I saw all of the details of our reservation, FP+ selections, as I'd expect to see. The part I wasn't thrilled about was to see complete personal information...name, address, telephone number, etc.

Because I'm not privy to how access is assigned/monitored/managed, I don't know if CMs are given access to certain levels of information based on their position with the company or not. If that is the case, the concern I have is in trusting a company that can't even get the system to work properly with good security controls over information. I do think that some folks should have access to it, but certainly it needs to be based on their level of responsibility and/or security clearance.

Do you have any info on that? I know you've got some great resources, and it's a question I hope has a 'good' answer :)

By the way...the one character that was at the top of my daughter's list to see was Lotso, and because of the info you shared with me on where to find him, we were able to be right at the front of the line so she did get to meet him there. So, thanks!!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I saw all of the details of our reservation, FP+ selections, as I'd expect to see. The part I wasn't thrilled about was to see complete personal information...name, address, telephone number, etc.

Because I'm not privy to how access is assigned/monitored/managed, I don't know if CMs are given access to certain levels of information based on their position with the company or not. If that is the case, the concern I have is in trusting a company that can't even get the system to work properly with good security controls over information. I do think that some folks should have access to it, but certainly it needs to be based on their level of responsibility and/or security clearance.

Do you have any info on that? I know you've got some great resources, and it's a question I hope has a 'good' answer :)

By the way...the one character that was at the top of my daughter's list to see was Lotso, and because of the info you shared with me on where to find him, we were able to be right at the front of the line so she did get to meet him there. So, thanks!!

That's rather scary. Im not sure I'm quite OK with a CM knowing what room I'm sleeping in (did he get a good look at my iPad while he was helping me? Or maybe my $900 camera?) and how long my stay is... or, even worse, my home address.

Did Lotso smell like strawberries? :)

Goofyernmost

Hey, stop picking on Neo because he has good taste . ... and I am glad you enjoy reading my stuff 80% of the time. That's a fine average ... and let's not forget there are angry ex-WDIers like @Lee here spewing hate too! they deserve a shout out.
Na, you pretty much deserve it all. And a word of advice...don't stop quick, the result will not be comfortable. :in pain::joyfull:

Funmeister

Actually they did used to make announcements for Walt Disney World on October 1st.. It was called the "State of Our World Address."

menamechris

Actually they did used to make announcements for Walt Disney World on October 1st.. It was called the "State of Our World Address."

Ahhh...those were the days. Back when Disney didn't make announcements simply to boost that week's stock price, only to turn around and shelve the announcment and pretend it was never made....

Soarin' Over Pgh

@WDW1974 Question for you. I read on disneyandmore that DLP's Indy Jones and the temple of peril is being rebuilt. Do you know if this is true?

Any other news you can share with the class regarding DLP and it's sad step sister Studios? Is there going to be a cash-dump to fix up the park and/or add new rides/eating establishments/anything but hotels?

Goofyernmost

That's another wasted time argument, Princess. DLR gets 45% of its attendance from all over the planet and its 'local' zone is not only much larger geographically than WDW's it also has so much denser a population that you can't even begin to compare.

yet, the online WDW fanboi 'tude is that everyone who visits DLR lives within a 30-minute drive.
So by comparison what would be the percentage of 'all over the planet' vs. local zone when talking about WDW? 55% local zone seem like it would be totally impossible at WDW based one your own argument. So how does that not make DL, by comparison, a local park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom