Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And I am quite certain that your background and mine are very different. I'll give you the tech stuff in a heartbeat, but if you think you can match me in media, entertainment, journalism or PR, I will just say you are. Mistaken and leave it there.

I said overlap :) I have lots of experience in sales, marketing, PR, channels, and customer relations. You don't get to where I am from being a lab rat who is scared to face the outside world.

I'm no idiot... where in the company are all the parties, all the woman, the travel, and where all the power brokers spend too much time? Opportunity comes in many shapes :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
My role on the front page of the site is to bring people upto date on the goings on at WDW. I give them the facts and they can draw their own opinions. That's how I like to do things.

Exactly - you have chosen a product to offer and stick to it. There are no contributors offering editorial (up or down), you don't critique or add in praise or hate when you reporting your activities.

Your site is not any less because it doesn't offer those products - it's a site that chooses not to be in that game.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's right.. what applies to one doesn't necessarily apply to the other. That's a two way street..

The standards for professionals are not the same for enthusiasts. Yet several hear act like people should be tar'd and feathered because they would get kicked off the NYT staff. Well.. they never aspired to be that.

Of course it does not 'have to' ....but Disney loves blurring the lines. Having a media event where 80% of the crowd are bloggers that might as well be called BRAND advocates would be an example of that.

And wherever I get my information, I want it as untainted by bias as possible.

The only times most of these folks complain about Disney is when they don't get something that another blogger/site got. The fact WDW has some major issues that should be a concern of all these uber fans, yet never seems to get brought up on their sites or when they get their minutes of access, tells you that 98% of these folks are just in it for themselves and do not give a damn about Disney or their flocks.

Funmeister

I'm predicting and expecting all out scorched earth competition which is good for everybody. :)
You very well may be correct however I really think Universal will have the advantage. It is going to take a huge change of mindset and culture for Disney to:

1. Realize what they need to do to compete. (no, NextGen is not the answer)

2. Invest some serious money in the entire resort. I am thinking somewhere between $4 and $6 billion.

$4 to $6 sounds insane? Look at it this way:

DCA had a $1b makeover and the results worked.

WDW has four (some may say three because of Fantasyland) theme parks that are in bad shape comparable to what DCA was before the reset.

WDW has always prided themselves on service. As long as they offer the poor transportation "service" that is currently in place, guest satisfaction will/is declining at a quick rate.

It will take at least the amount mentioned to bring WDW to a comparable level to what Universal is now offering AND what is coming in the next ten years.

WDW is way behind the eight ball. Problem is they are playing darts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Of course it does not 'have to' ....but Disney loves blurring the lines. Having a media event where 80% of the crowd are bloggers that might as well be called BRAND advocates would be an example of that.

I personally don't have a problem with who is there.. my problem is when Disney doesn't give amble opportunity for OTHERS to be there. Be it their distribution method or 'additional lists' or preventing repeats. I do have a problem with them abusing the community concept of Meet-Ups if their primary purpose is veiled Social PR events.

All of those things I hang on Disney. I find no joy in following or putting down people that have a bit too much of an obsession with something like WDW. I prefer to keep my distance from people like that and let them be themselves.. somewhere else.. where it doesn't impact me. Live and let live.. just do it away from me :)

I don't think Disney engaging social outlets is wrong.. but I do have issues with some of their implementation. But we've gone down that path before. I do take issue when people dream up justifications to support their behavior that is hypocritical or based on fallacy. If that happens more in your threads... maybe its the topics that breed the behavior in some :)

But none of that makes mocking Disney's fan base all that interesting. I have little favor for people that feel better by putting down others. I'm a believer in valuing success in absolute terms.. not relative.

The fact WDW has some major issues that should be a concern of all these uber fans, yet never seems to get brought up on their sites or when they get their minutes of access, tells you that 98% of these folks are just in it for themselves and do not give a damn about Disney or their flocks.

I don't disagree. But that lack of interrogation doesn't keep me from visiting WDWMagic's news pages... just like if there is a video I want to see.. I'm sure the likes of InsideTheMagic or OrlandoAttractions might have a quality video of what I'm trying to see. I don't need objectivity or unbiased to get a great walk-through video. That said... I find no value in any podcasts these people put out because I've yet to hear them talk about anything that I couldn't just read for myself.. and the few times I've sampled them, their production quality and tastes made me want to vomit.

I don't get why people can't just take the sites and people for what they are.. Use'em for what you want, ignore what you don't want.

PhotoDave219

Funny, I saw the video that everyone was making fun of and I didn't see any cut off jeans and tank tops...

Here is Disney's dress code for California Grill...

Please, point out in that video where someone wasn't adhering to the dress code.

I'm discussing what I saw in the lobby, with people carrying Cali Grill bags.

truecoat

For several years now, the FTC has required bloggers to disclose freebies. If they are not, they run the risk of being fined.

On another note, I don't have a problem with them taking freebies. They provide a service of showing off what is new for the other people that can't see it in person. I tried to do a fan site for another subject not related to Disney or theme parks and it is hell of a lot of work and that's why I don't have one. To keep up with updating and constantly posting to a website would be exhausting in my eyes. Monitoring this forum alone would be a full time job. 50 bucks and a free meal isn't worth the hassle of all the work if you ask me.

To hold them to some unrealistic journalistic law is ridiculous even if they call themselves journalists.

GiveMeTheMusic

Hi kids.

That's me.

Some give Jeff a heads up that a cease and desist will be coming.

I'm glad no one taped me with Lotso at the MNSSHP last year. I asked him if he smelled like strawberries (like everyone does), and he shoved my face into his sweaty pink armpit. It was maaaaaaaaaaaaagical! (And hilarious - and he smelled like sweaty fabric, not strawberries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom