Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Just a general statement about how this soda machine technology is meant to put money in Disney's pocket, but at the expense of people having to deal with a new technology that at this point has become so sad, that it's funny. Someone's going to flip out someday if it becomes such a hassle to just get a freakin' cup of soda at Disney World.
I agree with what you are saying, yet, I firmly believe that if it wasn't for the greedy and entitled they would not have gone to that new system.

It's all well and good to blame Disney for everything including afternoon and evening thunder storms, but sometimes actions are triggered by the negative actions of others. I honestly feel, because I have seen it, that this system that kind of started as a "we trust you" system quickly turned into a nightmare for them. It probably wasn't just the loss of revenue from too many liberties taken and to liberal a definition of how much is reasonable when it comes to "free" refills. What I think prompted the change was the blatant disregard for what is right and wrong. Other "Guests" feeling upset when witnessing the abuse and complaining to Disney about it, because basically most of us were brought up to be honest. It bothers us when we see others not being honest and getting away with it year after year.

Because of that I firmly believe that if we want to blame someone for what additional steps are now necessary to do something as simple as getting a refill on a beverage, look no further than the folks that feel that rules are made for everyone else and not them. Those that feel that it is OK to steal from a company simply because they can afford it. People who somehow feel that they are owed something over and above what they agreed to at the time. We all suffer because of the few that have no regard for anything other then their personal wants and desires. If I were a person that bought one of those mugs now, I would be super happy because I could now feel that something was done to "keep people honest". I would happily do whatever hardship is now invoked to be sure that all of us are on the same intended page.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with what you are saying, yet, I firmly believe that if it wasn't for the greedy and entitled they would not have gone to that new system.

It's all well and good to blame Disney for everything including afternoon and evening thunder storms, but sometimes actions are triggered by the negative actions of others. I honestly feel, because I have seen it, that this system that kind of started as a "we trust you" system quickly turned into a nightmare for them. It probably wasn't just the loss of revenue from too many liberties taken and to liberal a definition of how much is reasonable when it comes to "free" refills. What I think prompted the change was the blatant disregard for what is right and wrong. Other "Guests" feeling upset when witnessing the abuse and complaining to Disney about it, because basically most of us were brought up to be honest. It bothers us when we see others not being honest and getting away with it year after year.

Because of that I firmly believe that if we want to blame someone for what additional steps are now necessary to do something as simple as getting a refill on a beverage, look no further than the folks that feel that rules are made for everyone else and not them. Those that feel that it is OK to steal from a company simply because they can afford it. People who somehow feel that they are owed something over and above what they agreed to at the time. We all suffer because of the few that have no regard for anything other then their personal wants and desires. If I were a person that bought one of those mugs now, I would be super happy because I could now feel that something was done to "keep people honest". I would happily do whatever hardship is now invoked to be sure that all of us are on the same page.

It would have been a lot cheaper to just change out the mugs and put a sign up that said refills are only for mugs purchased on that trip.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We are going in November as well and I get the same thing...even with all the negativity surrounding it, I do want to try it out and see what happens. We r staying at ASMovie nov 12-18...

I'm kinda in the same boat I guess. I was debating whether I would "volunteer" if asked to be part of the test but it sounds like I won't have an option. I don't really like being a test subject if the system isn't fully working, but I'll take some freebies if they screw something up for me.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just a general statement about how this soda machine technology is meant to put money in Disney's pocket, but at the expense of people having to deal with a new technology that at this point has become so sad, that it's funny. Someone's going to flip out someday if it becomes such a hassle to just get a freakin' cup of soda at Disney World.
I sat and watched testing this morning at POFQ for around an hour and a half...and I have to admit I found it slightly amusing to see:

1) People bringing down their coffee cups from their rooms, and them not working (coffee is not rapidfill, but sodas are).

2) People trying to use older mugs or mugs from water parks...and them not working. The funniest (to me) was a family with about 10 mugs on their table, all obviously not Rapidfill (they changed out the colors to purple, orange and green for the testing rollout)...I had noted the Dad walking up with two handfuls of cups, and the machines not working for him...they looked miserable.

3) People trying to use the machines (over and over) without putting their mugs / cups all the way down on the RFID reader tray.

4) People with paper cups who didn't notice the LCD saying they had to wait x and y time period before getting a refill....who kept going from one side of the beverage station to the other with a confused look on their face.

5) The ice machines still being empty on one side, and overflow your cup on the other...or vice versa, and people still overfilling their mugs, even though the LCD has a neat little "graphic" to show you how full you cup is.

Man, this system may really have something to it!

stevehousse

I sat and watched testing this morning at POFQ for around an hour and a half...and I have to admit I found it slightly amusing to see:

1) People bringing down their coffee cups from their rooms, and them not working (coffee is not rapidfill, but sodas are).

2) People trying to use older mugs or mugs from water parks...and them not working. The funniest (to me) was a family with about 10 mugs on their table, all obviously not Rapidfill (they changed out the colors to purple, orange and green for the testing rollout)...I had noted the Dad walking up with two handfuls of cups, and the machines not working for him...they looked miserable.

3) People trying to use the machines (over and over) without putting their mugs / cups all the way down on the RFID reader tray.

4) People with paper cups who didn't notice the LCD saying they had to wait x and y time period before getting a refill....who kept going from one side of the beverage station to the other with a confused look on their face.

5) The ice machines still being empty on one side, and overflow your cup on the other...or vice versa, and people still overfilling their mugs, even though the LCD has a neat little "graphic" to show you how full you cup is.

What is with the waiting time between refills? What is the exact time? R u saying that if I get really thirsty, gulp my mug down, I cant go and get a quick refill??? Sounds a little absurd to me, but the whole thing is rather silly...if I pay for a mug with unlimited refills, why are they limiting it now? Doesn't make much sense???

ThemeParkJunkee

Because of that I firmly believe that if we want to blame someone for what additional steps are now necessary to do something as simple as getting a refill on a beverage, look no further than the folks that feel that rules are made for everyone else and not them. Those that feel that it is OK to steal from a company simply because they can afford it. People who somehow feel that they are owed something over and above what they agreed to at the time. We all suffer because of the few that have no regard for anything other then their personal wants and desires. If I were a person that bought one of those mugs now, I would be super happy because I could now feel that something was done to "keep people honest". I would happily do whatever hardship is now invoked to be sure that all of us are on the same intended page.

Totally agree with this post. Many service based industries attempt "perks" for their customers and when the "perk" becomes abused, they have to eliminate it or scale it back. I'm from the Midwest where every summer, you can drive all around our rural area and see firewood, sweet corn and pumpkins for sale on the "Honor System". A little lock box with a slot and the merchandise sitting right there for the taking. Funny, none of these roadside "vendors" has ever closed up shop due to losing to much inventory over the years. In some cases, we know this is the kids summer job and they can't be standing at the side of the road all the time. We will gladly stuff a five into the box and grab our campfire wood.

merry68

One of the best Disney Sports ever: People watching!

So I am curious about the folks bringing down the old mugs..Did they finally catch on that their old mugs did not work and leave? Or did they actually ask a CM about it? I could actually see someone ask a CM about the old mugs and then flip out that they had to buy a new RFID mug.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What is with the waiting time between refills? What is the exact time? R u saying that if I get really thirsty, gulp my mug down, I cant go and get a quick refill??? Sounds a little absurd to me, but the whole thing is rather silly...if I pay for a mug with unlimited refills, why are they limiting it now? Doesn't make much sense???
The paper cups have a time limit on them between refills. When you go to refill the paper cup, you are either allowed to refill, or the LCD displays that you have x minutes and y seconds until your next refill. Not sure what the starting time is, but the guy I helped had a bit under 2 minutes according to the LCD before he could use his paper cup again.

The mugs, you pay per the day, and there is no time limit between refills (at least...not yet...the paper cups show this can be done).

$6.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for Length of Stay

the.dreamfinder

HKDL update over at Disney & More:
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2013/08/fresh-news-about-hong-kong-disneyland.html?m=1
We haven't talked about Hong Kong Disneyland since the opening of Mystic Manor and here is an update about HKDL's future. So, is there anything new in the plans for HKDL in the years to come? Yes! HKDL is planning plenty of new things for the coming years which they will announce officially later this year or early next year.
First, HKDL will ask Hong Kong legislative council to approve the capital for building the awaited third HKDL hotel, which would be a high-end hotel. And HKDL is also investigating the possibility for a fourth and fifth hotel afterwards. But the Hong Kong Disneyland Downtown project is still in "Blue Sky" mode as they want to carefully choose the brands and restaurants which will be part of it, as these would need to attract both the locals and Chinese guests at this HKDL Downtown District.

In the park itself now: HKDL have plans until 2017. The park will have in 2014 its first Nighttime Parade ( if we don't count the Halloween night parade ) and for HKDL 10th Anniversary in 2015 a new day parade is expected and a new attraction - which will amaze little kids - will probably open for the 10th Ann Celebration on September 12, 2015.

Although not officially announced by Disney, last February Hong Kong city’s financial chief John Tsang Chun-Wah announced that a Marvel attraction will come to HKDL. And i've been told that it has received the green light and should be indeed the next expansion of Tomorrowland with an opening in - or before - 2017. Don't count, though, on a Marvel "land" but more on a Marvel "experience" with a E-Ticket Marvel ride, and more on a Marvel theme, the whole thing being part of Tomorrowland. So, it seems that Hong Kong Disneyland will be very probably the first Disney theme park in the world to open a Marvel attraction!
And, yes, HKDL is also now planning for expansions from 2018 to 2022, so there will be more to come in the future at HKDL!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

So I am curious about the folks bringing down the old mugs..Did they finally catch on that their old mugs did not work and leave? Or did they actually ask a CM about it? I could actually see someone ask a CM about the old mugs and then flip out that they had to buy a new RFID mug.

I'm not sure if this family complained or not. I just watched them send up different people (first daddy, then mommy, then the teenage son, then Auntie (not sure really, but they kept coming back up) and them looking over at the soda machine as if it were a new toy in the F&O Schwarz window at Christmas that they knew they would never get under the tree...

You're right though, I could see someone complaining (especially about an "unlimited refill" mug they got at the water park...oh, and now, at least this year, they are offering you a free mug at the water parks (non-refillable) in exchange for the five dollar key deposit refund for the lockers.

Yep, I can foresee tons of fun nights for managers all over property!

I heard other complaints though...my favorite was the guy who was going off on a cashier while I was waiting in line on Saturday Night when they were asking people "When did you get that mug?" at the cash register to get everyone with valid mugs currently staying at the resort moved over to Rapidfill mugs for the rollout this morning...

This guy was seriously upset that the new mug "doesn't come in black" and he had to have " a black mug" and that he was told when he got there that there were black mugs and he was supposed to get a black mug! (They had removed them overnight...he's not wrong, the previous day there were black and pink mugs out for sale...but on Sat it became purple and green...and they later added orange)...

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Oh, I think I left off one of my favorites. The cashier (bless her heart) who told me, sincerely, that "This new system is going to be awesome for the Guests!"

Well, it's awesome for Disney...but, I'm not so sure how much it's going to improve the Guest experience. Not unless it leads to lower food or ticket prices and/or some sort of product / service improvement.

Mind you, I don't care about the system one way or another. But, it does seem to be a touch...um...overthought. Sortof like trying to fix a flat tire by building an airplane.

asianway

I did say hi to B. as we passed him, but your face registered as familiar without triggering the automatic name... so it was a few minutes before I realized it. And I felt really dumb, cuz I totally should have known faster.

Anyway, yes, send advance notice and we will walk a park somewhere!
Walking a park...curious since you were once in Ops maybe you know. Does a park manager at any level have to do a daily walk of the park, look for cleanliness, ride an attraction, general QA type stuff? Thanks

merry68

I'm not sure if this family complained or not. I just watched them send up different people (first daddy, then mommy, then the teenage son, then Auntie (not sure really, but they kept coming back up) and them looking over at the soda machine as if it were a new toy in the F&O Schwarz window at Christmas that they knew they would never get under the tree...

You're right though, I could see someone complaining (especially about an "unlimited refill" mug they got at the water park...oh, and now, at least this year, they are offering you a free mug at the water parks (non-refillable) in exchange for the five dollar key deposit refund for the lockers.

Yep, I can foresee tons of fun nights for managers all over property!

I heard other complaints though...my favorite was the guy who was going off on a cashier while I was waiting in line on Saturday Night when they were asking people "When did you get that mug?" at the cash register to get everyone with valid mugs currently staying at the resort moved over to Rapidfill mugs for the rollout this morning...

This guy was seriously upset that the new mug "doesn't come in black" and he had to have " a black mug" and that he was told when he got there that there were black mugs and he was supposed to get a black mug! (They had removed them overnight...he's not wrong, the previous day there were black and pink mugs out for sale...but on Sat it became purple and green...and they later added orange)...

OK, I admit it. If I had been there, my family and I probably would have been making fun of the people trying the mugs one after another. I bet that family is STILL wondering how they could have gotten that dag-gum machine to work with their mugs! I just envision a Candid Camera type moment, LOL.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
OK, I admit it. If I had been there, my family and I probably would have been making fun of the people trying the mugs one after another. I bet that family is STILL wondering how they could have gotten that dag-gum machine to work with their mugs! I just envision a Candid Camera type moment, LOL.
Just imagine honey boo boo and he clan wondering why their dag nab universal all you can drink cups don't work!!!

PhotoDave219

What about plain water? Can you get that easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom