Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

So... I took the following to mean " Book your stuff now idiot...it went live...":

Now I am sure somewhere on these forums, perhaps even in this very thread, the following has been quoted:

Your Privacy and RF Technology Used at Walt Disney World Resort

Your MagicBand or card is unique to you and allows us to authenticate you and the benefits associated with you. The MagicBand and card contain only a randomly assigned code that securely links to an encrypted database and are configured to not store any other information about you.

Each MagicBand contains an HF Radio Frequency device and a transmitter which sends and receives RF signals through a small antenna inside the MagicBand and enables it to be detected at short-range touch points throughout Walt Disney World Resort. MagicBands can also be read by long-range readers located at Walt Disney World Resort used to deliver personalized experiences, as well as provide information that helps us improve the overall experience in our parks.

If you prefer, you may elect to use a card instead of a MagicBand. Cards contain a passive HF Radio Frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long-range readers.

So, no band, less concern about tracking.

SO what does the Database keep track of?

Black Pearl

I just finished customizing the Magic Bands for the trip next month. All I can think of is:

image.jpg

luv

I say put your pants on or go eat at the buffet or the burger, hit dog and pizza stands ...or get room service.

It isn,t that difficult to put pants on (taking them off can sometimes be an issue depending on whose pants you are trying to remove!:D)
Well, let the wrist-slitting commence, lol. Disney has changed the rules.

I really am glad. Two things stopped me from cruising: fear of sharks/drowning and packing dresses and shoes to wear while eating. Now I just have to suck it up and go. With the exception of Fear, I have no excuse.

alissafalco

What about plain water? Can you get that easily?

I was just going to ask that. When I stayed at poly in sept. with the DDP all I drank was water anyway. I would always fill up my own larger water bottle I brought with me from home. I always had my mug in my other hand just in case anyone ever said anything, but no one ever did.

John

The whole rapid refill cup issue is pretty funny if you think about it...How much money have they spent on the soda RFID reader machines/Mugs/Cm's having to stand there and explain it to guest/time of CM's wasted at the front desk explaining said system vs how much soda is "stolen"? I think that they should do what any business does in this case. Raise the price of cups/mugs to compensate for theft of the soda. Problem solved.

Its sad that it has come to this point but I would imagine that for some this will just add to some of the frustration that has been compiled to visit to WDW. ADR's, FP+ reservations, Magic Bands etc. This will be just another reason that some people will just say "the heck with it" Its become to much of a hassle to visit WDW. Will it be a small number of people? I am sure. But in business every customer is important....at least it should be. WIll it be a significant enough number that Disney will notice? Probably not. But you add this to people who have become disenchanted with other reasons WDW has become such a chore to visit and the number is compounded.

Time limit on between refills for paper cups? Are you kidding me? What business does this? I understand why, I guess it is to stop someone from buying one cup and refilling it just to dump it in another non resort cup for someone in their party...I guess. I cant see anyother reason for it.

As someone posted here sometime ago....Disney picking up pennies while dollars fly over their head.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was just going to ask that. When I stayed at poly in sept. with the DDP all I drank was water anyway. I would always fill up my own larger water bottle I brought with me from home. I always had my mug in my other hand just in case anyone ever said anything, but no one ever did.
Yes. I tried the plain water spout and it works without a mug.

As does the hot water, hot chocolate and coffee...for now at least.

Goofyernmost

It would have been a lot cheaper to just change out the mugs and put a sign up that said refills are only for mugs purchased on that trip.
Yes, it surely would have, however, since no one has been told that they were good for life for quite a few years now and they have put up signs to that affect not only at the dispensers, but also at the display where they sell the mugs, I'd have to guess that no one either wanted to know or cared what it said. Dishonesty is very seldom honest. The you owe me gene is very powerful.

Longhairbear

We only ever bought the mugs in the past because they were resort specific. We never used them for soda, as we don't drink it, and never for coffee as we brew in villa. We do use the mugs for vodka tonics, and a Jack and Coke poolside when we get back from the parks. Once we had a security guard make us leave the pool because we had alcoholic beverages with us, so now we disguise them using the refillable mugs.

scout68

The 10 "New" Rules of the Seasoned Walt Disney World Vacationeer after NGE! (misspelling intentional...)

1. I am setting prejudice and conjecture aside for my trip.
2. I will have a positive approach to my vacation as I always do.
3. I will be prepared and informed when difficulties arise.
4. I will not take out frustrations on my family or front line Cast Members.
5. I will try not to look for every type of scanning device.
6. I will not let my server know that I don't like them knowing what my next itinerary item is.
7. I will not cause a scene in the Chase Lounge by describing the invasion of privacy they are participating in.
8. I will enjoy a waterproof form of payment sliding down a water slide.
9. I will give the MyMagic+, FastPass+, and MagicBand every opportunity to impress me.
10.I will not forget to use my discounts.

*1023*

"When we consider a project, we really study it--not just the surface idea, but everything about it. And when we go into that new project, we believe in it all the way. We have confidence in our ability to do it right. And we work hard to do the best possible job." - Walt Disney

magical...:(

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
But, it does seem to be a touch...um...overthought. Sortof like trying to fix a flat tire by building an airplane.
This is a good way to put it. Has the water park add on been implemented on the mugs yet? I can't wait until the next time the family down the road decides to go to Disney and I come by the explain the new mug system to them for a half hour. @Arewethereyet! makes a very good point about the complexity of the vacation scaring people away. I sent a cousin of mine a few paragraphs about how things are organized at WDW a couple of years ago and it scared her away. I was really encouraging her to go and only mentioned that SoG was nice, but you can't do the DDP and how the ticket options and fastpass worked.

At some point this week I'm going to call and explain I have ticket vouchers for an upcoming October trip and see if they can do anything at all about fastpass plus. I'm sure they can't (I've already contacted them about this via e-mail a few times), but part of the problem they are having is that overlaying a new organizational structure on top of an already complicated system is tough. So, something like ticket vouchers, or locals with APs, or people who buy there tickets from the concierge at the resort because they're not obsessed and don't check their Le Cellier reservation on a daily basis fall through the cracks. Never mind a parent/grandparent and child having the same name (that never happens!). I'm really not worried at all since I don't really thing you need FP in mid/late October, but I am curious...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Things move really fast on this thread. Sometimes I feel that someone makes a good point worthy of discussion but it gets buried behind a page or 2 of back and forth bickering about nothing. I'm as guilty as anyone of engaging in this. Let's just agree to ignore the people who are bringing nothing to the table instead of calling them trolls or responding to them.

On to actual discussion: are you saying if I'm going in November I won't have a choice? I was really hoping to get 1 more trip in before this "experiment" went live.

The real question is what happens if you don't do any fp+ right now if it was offered to you. And when will the FP machines disappear.

Question is.. when will choice disappear? That's the biggie...

alphac2005

I understand what you are saying and it is in the right of the merchant to ask me for this verification. But I can tell you with absolute certainty(as a NJ resident and a bank officer), in the state of NJ i have never been asked for and ID when using my debit card for PIN based transactions or otherwise( and I use my wife's debit card for nearly all my daily transactions). And if anyone here from NJ can attest that never happens. Just thought it was unsusl as well as the response.

Having lived in CT, FL, and GA, I've known several people that do the verification thing that you do and it's on very rare occasion that they were ever asked for ID, but it would happen here and there in all of the aforementioned states. One person that we know of would pitch a fit at a cashier or server if they weren't asked to check for the ID. I'm a huge cynic, but I think this is much ado about nothing. It's something that you're supposed to do and malls are well known for credit card fraud, so maybe an edict came down from a Manager or just a take charge employee to verify as you're supposed to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
re: rapidfill

As long as the machines reliably work (that's my old concern)... the stupid human tricks will subside with time. People will adapt.. and the stupid will remain as stupid as they always were. Nothing will change that.

Gen pop is always perplexed by change... even good simple changes. They'll adapt.

My issue is if the machines become unreliable. They can't 'adapt' and could be a money pit.

Goofyernmost

This is a good way to put it. Has the water park add on been implemented on the mugs yet? I can't wait until the next time the family down the road decides to go to Disney and I come by the explain the new mug system to them for a half hour. @Arewethereyet! makes a very good point about the complexity of the vacation scaring people away. I sent a cousin of mine a few paragraphs about how things are organized at WDW a couple of years ago and it scared her away. I was really encouraging her to go and only mentioned that SoG was nice, but you can't do the DDP and how the ticket options and fastpass worked.
So does that mean that Disney should keep dumbing down the experience to fit the lowest common denominator or should current guest be at least a little familiar with the world we currently live in. Let's face it, the procedures at Disney are more tedious then complicated. You choose when you're going you make reservations 180 days out (at least) because if you don't you might not get your preference. You then decide where you want to eat 6 months before your actually hungry and make reservations. If you don't you might not get your preference. Now since you know what park you will likely be in (due to meal reservations) you get to pick out three (3) rides that you want to ride 60 days ahead of time cause if you don't (you know the rest). Then you get your Magic Band and you have to figure out the complex procedure of waving it in front of a reader. (man, my head is aching already) and, this is the winner, if you get lost in the park you can use your phone to get Disney to tell you where you are. How is that complicated? Oh, yea...if you buy one of those infamous mugs, it automatically regulates what you actually purchased and not what you think you deserve. Sorry, don't see the problem with any of that.:)

jkl2000

@Arewethereyet! makes a very good point about the complexity of the vacation scaring people away.

I was thinking the other day - I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for WDW on TV. Granted I don't watch a lot of TV and avoid commercials. Still, some slip through, but to me it appears that they don't advertise WDW. Maybe it's become too difficult.

"Come to WDW...You'll Figure it Out!"

or

"Plan Your Adventure. 180 Days Out."

Tim_4

I was thinking the other day - I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for WDW on TV. Granted I don't watch a lot of TV and avoid commercials. Still, some slip through, but to me it appears that they don't advertise WDW. Maybe it's become too difficult.

or

So the fact that they can hit their attendance targets without traditional TV advertisements is supposed to be a sign that their system is a failure? Seems to me that it reinforces the model. If they were desperate for guests, THAT'S when you'd see an all out media blitz in those channels.

Clamman73

or

I haven't seen any lately...unlike at the beginning of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom