Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As the KevinYee in question, let me nod my head in agreement. His level of insider access has been staggering, and his hit/miss ratio immaculate.

How did you think this was about you?!?! I meant the good looking Kevin Yee!!!:D

But, seriously,I was also trying to get your attention as you aren't around these MAGICal parts much anymore.
A bit, but not too much, surprised that Garcia didn't reach out to you.

MattM

Obviously, I do not for a second believe the obscene amount being blown on NGE is being spent wisely or to the benefit of fans, guests, cast and shareholders alike.
You may very well be right. Believe it or not, I'm not completely convinced its a good thing.

But if you think you it isn't going to be good for shareholders, you should sell your stock. I'm 99.9% certain your holdings aren't significant enough to constitute you as an activist shareholder or anything. If you hold on to$DIS stock just because you like Walt Disney World...that's foolish.

Troll Out - MS

WDW1974

Original Poster
Totally agree, I guess my point though (didn't do great job making it) was that given the choice of giving up the cell phones, flying, etc., or giving in to the fact we give up a little more privacy as time goes by, most of us will give up the freedoms. I still have my smart phone, I still go on line, and flying isn't something I'd shy away from if necessary. It's just too bad that's it's one or the other.

It shouldn't be ANd it doesn't have to be.

And I will not stand for idiotic, apathetic rubes allowing my freedoms to be taken because they're too ignorant or self-involved and see nothing wrong with 'protecting us from the evildoers' at ALL costs.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was wondering the same thing. I have no problem making a few phone calls to the execs @WDW1974 mentioned, I'm just not sure how to get their numbers.
I hate to be negative about this, but at this point I'm fairly sure the investment dollar is large enough that they'll keep throwing money at it until it "works"...or, at least works well enough that internal departments can go back to blaming the guests for issues (not that some guests aren't the problem, but...sometimes they are)...

An example of this was today while I was watching them rolling out RapidFill Mugs at POFQ. Managers stood by and watched while guests had lots of issues with the system (because it only works if you have the mug / cup all the way on the tray where the RFID reader is)...

Managers kept pointing at the little LCD screens "see, the instructions are right there".

Yes, that's right. Disney is training how to fill a cup with soda.

When I was forced to trade out my mug for a Rapidfill mug (because, a week earlier, they had only issued me a normal mug), the CM asked my opinion. I wasn't in the best mood that night (actually, I was a bit cranky) and I responded "Well, for all the money spent to prevent soda shrink, it seems to me Disney could figure out a way to keep the beverage bar and restaurant clean".

The CM didn't get it, but did ask what I meant. So, I gave a quick example. Using hot water to melt the ice buildup in the ice trays on the Beverage Bar instead of letting it pile up and spill onto the counters / floor causing a larger sticky mess.

She had to call over her manager because she was having trouble activating my RapidFill mug, and while the manager was there, she suggested that I let the manager know my thoughts.

I wasn't going to and saw no point. Disney would rather spend tons of money on a new gizmo that senior managers who don't visit the park thinks "solves operational issues", but doesn't give a flip about the basics.

Cleanliness
Maintenance
Quality (or at least happy) Service

<sigh>

Magical!

WDW1974

Original Poster

Sad, but predictable. Largely a result of rubes taking their first cruises on the new Disney ships and not understanding that people dress for dinner on one.

Look, I love DCL and have multiple cruises booked over the rest of this year and all of 2014. But if they start Walmarting it a la WDW, then they'll lose me because I have had great cruising experiences with EVERY line I have sailed with except Celebrity (but that's sorta OK because I got my ounce of guest recovery and then some when the head of the company was fired and I had nothing at all to do with that, right @Lee?)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just went blind at the thought. Typing this by touch.

Hey, some of the bois are the thin pretty ones who manscape, not the 275-pounders with acne who live in Mom's basement at 31, shower on Tuesdays (and only Tuesdays) and were in line at Target to buy Disney Infinity yesterday!

ParentsOf4

It shouldn't be AND it doesn't have to be.

And I will not stand for idiotic, apathetic rubes allowing my freedoms to be taken because they're too ignorant or self-involved and see nothing wrong with 'protecting us from the evildoers' at ALL costs.
As Ben Franklin allegedly wrote:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

WDW1974

Original Poster
How do you even get through to them? Got direct numbers?

Direct numbers for each and every exec at the WDC are available on the Hub to any/all CMs (yes, a two shifts a month bus driver can access Tom Staggs office). I have some (most) here, but I don,t want to be known as the supplier if 60 of you all decide to phone Meg next Tuesday.

As for Florida based execs, all you have to do go reach them is to call the WDW switchboad number and ask to be transferred.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Cool. Now, maybe I can cruise. :)

I know people who can't enjoy their food and dining companions unless everyone else in the restaurant is wearing pants...they will be slitting their wrists, but I'm happy. :)

I say put your pants on or go eat at the buffet or the burger, hit dog and pizza stands ...or get room service.

It isn,t that difficult to put pants on (taking them off can sometimes be an issue depending on whose pants you are trying to remove!:D)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hate to be negative about this, but at this point I'm fairly sure the investment dollar is large enough that they'll keep throwing money at it until it "works"...or, at least works well enough that internal departments can go back to blaming the guests for issues (not that some guests aren't the problem, but...sometimes they are)...

An example of this was today while I was watching them rolling out RapidFill Mugs at POFQ. Managers stood by and watched while guests had lots of issues with the system (because it only works if you have the mug / cup all the way on the tray where the RFID reader is)...

Managers kept pointing at the little LCD screens "see, the instructions are right there".

When I was forced to trade out my mug for a Rapidfill mug (because, a week earlier, they had only issued me a normal mug), the CM asked my opinion. I wasn't in the best mood that night (actually, I was a bit cranky) and I responded "Well, for all the money spent to prevent soda shrink, it seems to me Disney could figure out a way to keep the beverage bar and restaurant clean".

The CM didn't get it, but did ask what I meant. So, I gave a quick example. Using hot water to melt the ice buildup in the ice trays on the Beverage Bar instead of letting it pile up and spill onto the counters / floor causing a larger sticky mess.

She had to call over her manager because she was having trouble activating my RapidFill mug, and while the manager was there, she suggested that I let the manager know my thoughts.

I wasn't going to and saw no point. Disney would rather spend tons of money on a new gizmo that senior managers who don't visit the park thinks "solves operational issues", but doesn't give a flip about the basics.

Cleanliness
Maintenance

<sigh>

Magical!

My opinion: you should have given yours to the manager.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
So... I took the following to mean " Book your stuff now idiot...it went live...":

Just a quick check in regarding MM+, it appears as though there's no longer an invite to test...it's becoming SOP. Online check in completed and the ability to book FPPs and order custom bands is there. No email invite to participate. Seems as though they are moving ahead full force. Oh, and noted the ability to book FPPs for TSMM, ToT, and RnRC all on same day. Just FWIW.

So I ran to my Mac and tried to make things happen. Problem is, I can't register my new Premier Passport on their site. I even tried using the options that did not apply to me. Yay... Phone call to WDW tomorrow... While I was looking for some alternate contact routes, I looked at the back of my card. It had some new things on the back that weren't there before. Wouldn't you know: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/ So I check it out.

Now I am sure somewhere on these forums, perhaps even in this very thread, the following has been quoted:

Your Privacy and RF Technology Used at Walt Disney World Resort

Your MagicBand or card is unique to you and allows us to authenticate you and the benefits associated with you. The MagicBand and card contain only a randomly assigned code that securely links to an encrypted database and are configured to not store any other information about you.

Each MagicBand contains an HF Radio Frequency device and a transmitter which sends and receives RF signals through a small antenna inside the MagicBand and enables it to be detected at short-range touch points throughout Walt Disney World Resort. MagicBands can also be read by long-range readers located at Walt Disney World Resort used to deliver personalized experiences, as well as provide information that helps us improve the overall experience in our parks.

If you prefer, you may elect to use a card instead of a MagicBand. Cards contain a passive HF Radio Frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long-range readers.

So, no band, less concern about tracking.

By the way, if you find this information somewhere else here, please feel NO need to post any reference to it for my information in a reply to me. Lots of information gets duplicated here from time to time.

I am very concerned that my vacation will be far less magical if I can't get my 3 FPP per day allowance for attractions I actually want to see. One of the only benefits I foresee for myself from this pre-reservation thought process is not having to be at "rope drop".

Oh, here's a quote from Walt about Disney World that I am sure many of you have seen before,"I'm doing this because I want to do it better".

*1023*

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Cleanliness
Maintenance

<sigh>

Magical!

I am a big fan of technology especially since I work in a tech job, but when I hear things like " she was having trouble activating my RapidFill mug" I know it's a case of technology gone to far. Having trouble activating a mug! :banghead:

FantasyPurveyor

Been following along this thread for a while. Lots of pointless bickering. NGE is a real concern that mirrors society at large. I fear larger issues are being drowned in meaningless noise. Always follow the money. Billions of dollars being spent on NGE clearly isn't for the benefit of making FP reservations. I don't think most will see through the shallow veneer of the program.

As for WDW, they are merely reaping the fruits of decades of incompetent management... I have yet to be impressed by any of them. Office politics isn't unique to WDW, yet the lack of visionary leadership is clearly hurting WDW. I still remember Lee Cockerell's missives as being ridiculous--and he was running the place. It trickled down...

Conformity is par for the course at Disney these days. To paraphrase a well-known former Disney guy "Walt is gone. We missed it." Unique personalities have been pushed out (a la Tony) or fenced off in a harmless corner (Joe Rhode). 'Tis a shame.

KevinYee

How did you think this was about you?!?! I meant the good looking Kevin Yee!!!:D

But, seriously,I was also trying to get your attention as you aren't around these MAGICal parts much anymore.
A bit, but not too much, surprised that Garcia didn't reach out to you.

My day job has been hopping (and changed a year ago). We need to walk Epcot again or something. I realized the person I passed in Marketplace a few months ago was YOU, but only a few minutes after we passed each other. ARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom