Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

If you think so... me, I'm a realistic that understands that just because someone makes something for the government or that is of interest of the government... that doesn't make everything you do 'for the governments needs'. Government funding and research (even military) drives so much of what our society thrives upon. I doubt anyone believes American Airlines is concluding with the government to harm us because they bought Boeing airlines.. and you know that evil Boeing??? They are one of the government's largest makers of WAR MACHINES! The audacity!!

Clearly you don't understand the difference between the Intelligence Communities and companies like Palantir & their PRISM software and companies that simply supply the government with airplanes.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to educate you the difference between the two and how your analogy is wrong.

I do have the time and inclination to go back to ignoring your trolling once again.

SirLink

Bike coaster. Early chatter isn't great.

I heard somewhere it was going to be severely under themed with slight basic Tron elements - actually someone said I don't know if it was here or overheard somewhere that all the money was going in the front and right of the park with some some nasty cuts to left and back of the park. Any truth to this?

Jane Doe

WDWMagic is turning into a lunatic fringe
[/quote]

1Moyes-5269543.jpg

"The FA have deliberately scheduled games to coincide with The Osborne Family Lights and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party knowing full well I can't attend due to the hectic Christmas fixture schedule"

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not really true. Look at consolidation in the airline industry.Are consumers better off with three or four dominant carriers that control 85% of the market? Are things better now that Wal-Mart and Federated are virtual monopolies?

How about those grocery loyalty cards? Sure, you can 'opt out' ...but you'll pay twice as much as a penalty. Go down the road? WAit, they have one too. And along with that coupon for diapers you might be one of the unlucky ones on the receiving end of a court order to judge you on those purchases you made with said loyalty card.

At the end of the day, consumers have much less power than we give them credit for.

Oh, and as a Spirit who has to use sunblock on parts of his head to prevent burning, I'm going to declare this thread a no hat zone. You can disagree all you want, but let's keep the hat jokes out (not directed at you, Dug, just tired of seeing it from those who can't discuss).
The point is that the consumer has the ultimate tool....choice.

You could choose not to fly at all. You can choose not to shop at WalMart. You can choose to go to your locally owned grocery store.

People who do not choose to "choose" are sheeple.
Are you a sheeple?:confused:

ParentsOf4

The point is that the consumer has the ultimate tool....choice.
The consumer has a choice but needs information to make that choice.

As currently worded in its multipage “Terms and Conditions”, even we self-described WDW experts can only speculate about Disney’s ultimate intentions. What information is Disney collecting? What does Disney intend to do with that information? The fact that we can only speculate is in and of itself evidence that Disney’s current level of disclosure is insufficient.

The history of most industries is that they intentionally hid information that was vital for the consumer to make an informed decision. Cigarettes were once advertised as "healthy", cars were "safe", and the fat in foods was "good for you". It took the Federal government's intervention after decades of abuse and misinformation by the private sector to affect change.

The U.S. Government didn’t say the tobacco industry couldn’t sell cigarettes, the automobile industry couldn’t sell cars, or that the food industry couldn’t sell processed foods. Instead, it put in place reasonable limits and required more disclosure to consumers.

Even today, people buy cigarettes despite overwhelming evidence of their direct link to cancer but at least consumers now know.

Disney doesn’t have to stop “selling” MyMagic+; it only has to more openly disclose its intentions. The best consumer is an informed consumer and, with sufficient information, it will be we consumers who decide how each one of us feels about MyMagic+.

The problem is Disney doesn't want the consumer to know because Disney knows perfectly well it will have some adverse impact on business. Even if only one-in-twenty are guilty of being members of what several have insultingly called "the tin hat brigade", then that would potentially represent a 5% decline in WDW attendance, which would have a devastating effect on business. Consider what would happen at the Board of Directors level if Disney invested $2 Billion and business dropped 5%.

Disney doesn't want you to know for the same reason the tobacco, automobile, and food industries didn't want you to know. Because full disclosure is bad for business.

Today's Disney leadership is so focused on the bottom line that they've forgotten about their "guests" who drive that bottom line. They've forgotten that their "guests" are people.

Disney is so focused on squeezing a few extra dollars out of each "guest" that they've forgotten how to keep their customers happy, coming back for more.

Ultimately, keeping your customers happy is how you succeed in business, not by collecting reams of data on them so you can determine how much you can raise prices by.

Nemo14

While we were out and about yesterday, we stopped at a local chain restaurant for lunch. The walls there are covered with random signs about why one should visit this restaurant, and I was struck by the one comment from the founder:

Our Founder's Motto: You get only one chance every single day to please the guest.

Give the guest what they want and they'll always come back for more.

How many of us have returned to WDW countless times for that very reason?
How many of us now are rethinking it?

alphac2005

Not really true. Look at consolidation in the airline industry.Are consumers better off with three or four dominant carriers that control 85% of the market? Are things better now that Wal-Mart and Federated are virtual monopolies?

I listened to a panel discuss what was the "shocking" DOJ decision to oppose the American/US Air merger. One of the ladies was a tool for the airline industry (Head of an airline advocacy group and former top aide to a former American Airlines President) and the nonsense that she was spouting was laughable. She went on and on about the methodology to come up with this decision had never been used before by the Justice Department. What she failed to admit was that the DOJ actually took into account new analytical data to further prove that this would hurt consumers and that's why they were using this data. They then went on and on about how the Continental merger was approved in '10 and they didn't use these benchmarks. In the DOJ's filings they basically say that after that merger outcome and all the claims of savings and so-forth, consumers lost big time and they always do.

It's funny how the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the corporations behind this big business outfit has fooled consumers time after time, year after year. Then again, who wouldn't expect something out of an organization that is made to sound like they are government agency and is looking out in the best interests of American commerce? :banghead: American and US Air claim that they will save consumers money. That's downright hilarious. Go ask any consumer or look at raw data and no one can ever find that a merger has saved the consumer anything and it nearly always leads to higher costs, less service, quality, etc. It's INFURIATING because we have no power to do a damn thing about anything. The government is bought and paid by corporations backed by a now corporatist Supreme Court. That makes the DOJ decision on this one very surprising.

raymusiccity

I listened to a panel discuss what was the "shocking" DOJ decision to oppose the American/US Air merger. One of the ladies was a tool for the airline industry (Head of an airline advocacy group and former top aide to a former American Airlines President) and the nonsense that she was spouting was laughable. She went on and on about the methodology to come up with this decision had never been used before by the Justice Department. What she failed to admit was that the DOJ actually took into account new analytical data to further prove that this would hurt consumers and that's why they were using this data. They then went on and on about how the Continental merger was approved in '10 and they didn't use these benchmarks. In the DOJ's filings they basically say that after that merger outcome and all the claims of savings and so-forth, consumers lost big time and they always do.

It's funny how the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the corporations behind this big business outfit has fooled consumers time after time, year after year. Then again, who wouldn't expect something out of an organization that is made to sound like they are government agency and is looking out in the best interests of American commerce? :banghead: American and US Air claim that they will save consumers money. That's downright hilarious. Go ask any consumer or look at raw data and no one can ever find that a merger has saved the consumer anything and it nearly always leads to higher costs, less service, quality, etc. It's INFURIATING because we have no power to do a damn thing about anything. The government is bought and paid by corporations backed by a now corporatist Supreme Court. That makes the DOJ decision on this one very surprising.

Looks like we've drifted away from 'Sprited News' .......I think this is starting to look like a thread in Reuters ....

Funmeister

Why would it need to be any different than the procedures that have already been in place?

Because your MagicBand has the capability to do more than a current chargeable resort id. Your day pretty much comes to a complete halt (based on reservations) whereas currently you can still go about your day unless you park hop. How do they confirm your MM band is yours?

alphac2005

Looks like we've drifted away from 'Sprited News' .......I think this is starting to look like a thread in Reuters ....

This thread became Crazytown when it was unmoderated many, many posts back. It's a rant and rave thread about whatever at this point, so enjoy it for what it is.

MattM

Not unless they pay out the nose for it... Disney SELLS that privilege. Sponsorship != vendor/partner.

I know Siemens sponsors Spaceship Earth. I do not, however, know who did the electrical work, the concrete work, the flooring, paint, etc. That's what he does not understand (even though people will claim to not have time to educate you, but I'll bet we see them posting here all day).

Disney is obviously evil for hiding this information and colluding with the government.

Ah, WDWMagic logic.

MattM

The consumer has a choice but needs information to make that choice.

Agree with this point. Sadly though, very little information has come to surface, even here on WDWMagic. There has been a lot of speculation and conclusions drawn. As much as the OP would like for us to take his word as fact, "I heard from someone" does not a fact make.

It kinda reminds me of when Brick from Anchorman:

There's a lot of anger, but based on what?

I really do love that movie. Maybe it's just Steve Carrell. Although now I see every part he plays as being Michael Scott instead of Steve Carrell.

lazyboy97o

Disney doesn't want you to know for the same reason the tobacco, automobile, and food industries didn't want you to know. Because full disclosure is bad for business.
Outside of things like Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World, where is Disney disclosing a whole lot of anything regarding how they operate their theme parks? Secrecy has a long tradition as being the "magic." I also do not see where anybody is directly asking Disney any questions (And frankly, I am still baffled that people here look to a man who likely thinks the Gringotts ride will cause brain damage and that this is being covered up).

Because your MagicBand has the capability to do more than a current chargeable resort id. Your day pretty much comes to a complete halt (based on reservations) whereas currently you can still go about your day unless you park hop. How do they confirm your MM band is yours?
Why would an ID and knowing your PIN that is require for all purchases not suffice? Without your PIN and finger, the most somebody could easily do is take a MagicBand after you are in the park and then use your FastPass+ selections.

That's what he does not understand (even though people will claim to not have time to educate you, but I'll bet we see them posting here all day).
This seems to be a favorite tactic. Claim some moral/intellectual superiority, yell about it and then put people on ignore.

Last edited:

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Same **** every credit card does... they isolate the customer from unauthorized charges.

Beyond that I have the option to limit my exposure. At a Deluxe resort I don't have to accept the $1500 credit line offered. I'm liable for the first $50, but if I don't want to deal with $1450 in exposure I've got options available to set it to a level I'm comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom