Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No one is trying to twist anything. Some of us are curious and see things that make us wonder what is really at play here. Companies are not forthcoming about anything today unless they are forced. Our government has pretty much given them free reign to act as they please, damn the consumer.

Disney is being as shadowy as it cane with this project and it isn't because they are afraid the competition is going to steal or ape it. I literally have heard tales o of Comcast execs laughing themselves silly over the way Disney is spending on this as its parks fall apart and grow ever staler.

So while I also don't like tales of premature , I also don,t like tales of forced sodomy that could have been prevented if folks just asked some questions and demanded answers.
The consumer has the final say, no matter what a business does.

Cosmic Commando

I think this is precisely why governments are trying more overtly than ever to keep control over their people.

My concern I think is that most people probably don't realize as you do how elusive freedom is. Many may not even realize how much of it they've already lost.
There is a famous quote (or I am about to create one :cool:) that says we are forever doomed to live in the present. We don't know what the future holds; our life is always happening in an unknowable context. We are stuck here in 2013 where we get mad if our lolcats take more than five seconds to download, and we're wondering "How the heck can this happen?" The whiskey tax that was "collected" by thousands of soldiers in the 1790's was repealed in 1801. It doesn't help the tax protestors in 1798, though. The income tax was declared unconstitutional, so "we" changed the Constitution. Now we argue about how much the government gets, but few expect to pay 0%. If our new president in 2016 starts to dial back some of this craziness, it will look like a short, unfortunate chapter in history. Or it could be the start of the new (scary) normal.

Knothead

Not meaning to change the subject from such spirited conversation, but I couldn't think of a better place to put this pic. Sorry its such a bad shot, but security was thick.
IMAG1135.jpg

Nubs70

What if the plumbers who built those beautiful new bathrooms are conspiring with the federal government to track people's dietery habits via stool samples?

Why isn't anyone asking that question?

Disney and their plumbing contractors are up to no good and clearly cannot be trusted. Thanfully UNI doesn't take stool samples....yet.
No need to

Limiting to those purchasing with MM+ bands, dining in park, and 8 hours after park arrival, WDW knows what you ate in detail based on your purchases which are stored in the server farm. If you pay with cash, dine off WDW property, are anorexic or bulimic, that would throw off the turd samplers.

I do understand the bulimics could purge into trash cans or bushes, but that would be a statistically insignificant population.

Cosmic Commando

No one is trying to twist anything. Some of us are curious and see things that make us wonder what is really at play here. Companies are not forthcoming about anything today unless they are forced. Our government has pretty much given them free reign to act as they please, damn the consumer.
I think the government is generally slow to respond to new technology and/or problems in general. How long did we keep rubber-stamping a Cold War-style military before someone even thought that maybe we should switch it up? It took about 20 years for the Joint Strike Fighter program to deliver an operational aircraft. So we have airplanes designed to fight a 1992 war going operational in 2011. I don't think most legislators even understand the technologies that they should be policing. Private enterprise is quicker to change because they have the profit motivation. I'll go back to my "stuck in the present" quote; we're stuck in today wondering what the heck is going on, but we don't know the whole story. Everything is the same until it's different.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think the government is generally slow to respond to new technology and/or problems in general. How long did we keep rubber-stamping a Cold War-style military before someone even thought that maybe we should switch it up? It took about 20 years for the Joint Strike Fighter program to deliver an operational aircraft. So we have airplanes designed to fight a 1992 war going operational in 2011. I don't think most legislators even understand the technologies that they should be policing. Private enterprise is quicker to change because they have the profit motivation. I'll go back to my "stuck in the present" quote; we're stuck in today wondering what the heck is going on, but we don't know the whole story. Everything is the same until it's different.
No truer words...

MattM

No need to

Limiting to those purchasing with MM+ bands, dining in park, and 8 hours after park arrival, WDW knows what you ate in detail based on your purchases which are stored in the server farm. If you pay with cash, dine off WDW property, are anorexic or bulimic, that would throw off the turd samplers.

I do understand the bulimics could purge into trash cans or bushes, but that would be a statistically insignificant population.

Great reply!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm just trying to figure out exactly who is funding NGE and to what degree. I am amazed that no one in the real media like @Jason_Garcia feels like this is worthy of attention. I bet the Guardian might be interested (oh, I just got a Spirited idea!)

TWDC already spent billions on it, if someone else is funding it as well...good god, how much is the actual price tag!!!

lazyboy97o

Who built out the in-room Ethernet access at Walt Disney World's hotel rooms?

Who built out the Key to the Kingdom system?

Who built out Disney's video surveillance system?

Who built the road barriers now present at Walt Disney World?

What was the real reason General Dynamics sponsored the Submarine Voyage?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As a clarification, there will be FP+ available same day......just so long as they don't "sell out" in advance. It will be a first come first serve situation, with no FP held back for day guests.

So if you arrive at Epcot and find all the Soarin FP were booked weeks ago, or if you want to take your toddler on Dumbo and find that the only available time is 10:30pm...you are just SOL. Welcome to Standby City, or pick up a nice FP for Nemo or Tiki Room. (If you can get one...)

This is one aspect that I think they could and I hope eventually will change. I know there is nothing in the current plans to hold anything back, but I think as more people start using the system there will be more complaints about this. It would be relatively simple to limit advance reservations to something like 80% of FP+ capacity. Limit your ability to book the held back passes to either the kiosks in the park or the app but only if you are physically in the park. AP holders or the more spontaneous crowd would at least have a fighting chance to get good fast passes the day of and it would help direct some of the less frequent visitors who are planning ahead to less popular attractions that maybe don't really need FP.

This is all pure speculation on my part and may be overly optimistic, but when poor reviews start rolling in about the system they may actually make the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom