Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyhead'71

Count me in the camp of removing the Dragon Challenge coasters. They are now relatively generic coasters that take up a huge footprint. I also strongly oppose the exposed steel coasters in that park, it ruins quite a bit of the theming.
Universal Creative, even though creating beautiful themeing, also don't try and pretend that they aren't creating a theme park environment. They don't play by Disney's rules. They are writing their own playbook. One that includes big coasters AND extensive themeing. The only people that seem to get their panties in a bunch over it are Pixie Dusters. Universal WANTS you to see their big coaster from I-4.

Last edited:

Ignohippo

What "announcement" are you folks speaking of?

I don't see them announcing ANYTHING until Pandora opens. They may begin work, but there won't be an announcement. They wouldn't want to do anything to take the attention away from Avatar. Unfortunately, I think DL will get SW way before WDW.

If you ran Disney Parks, and just added a $500+ million expansion, would you want families to decide not to visit WDW because they want to save their money and wait until SW (or whatever) opens? It would be terrible business.

That said, it's Disney so who knows? They don't exactly do things that make a lot of sense most of the time. Also, Pandora may be more of an addition to get people to add a day of AK to their Disney vacations, rather than actually trying to get people to book vacations at WDW who otherwise wouldn't.

Fe Maiden

If a DVCer is staying on property with their points, wouldn't they just be handled the way any resort guest would be?

I think that's correct. It seems every case I've read about where a DVC member had an issue was not because they're DVC but because they were using an AP. I don't think there's been many problems for a DVC'er with a length of stay pass.

bhg469

The mythical Star Wars Land and redo of the Imagination Pavillion

HA! Do you realize how much room is in the imagination pavilion? Between that and wonders of life, they can house all the special events guests that they will ever need. It will be amazing!

doctornick

I think that's correct. It seems every case I've read about where a DVC member had an issue was not because they're DVC but because they were using an AP. I don't think there's been many problems for a DVC'er with a length of stay pass.

But even a DVC (or any guest) who is stayign on property but using an AP should be able to link the AP as their ticket media for the length of their stay and use FP+.

The key thing AFAIK is being a resort guest at this point. Disney has said that all guests will have access to FP+ eventually, but for the time being it looks like the big divide is between staying on property and not.

This definitely impacts AP holders significantly, so I hope for their sake Disney addresses that soon.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But even a DVC (or any guest) who is stayign on property but using an AP should be able to link the AP as their ticket media for the length of their stay and use FP+.

The key thing AFAIK is being a resort guest at this point. Disney has said that all guests will have access to FP+ eventually, but for the time being it looks like the big divide is between staying on property and not.

This definitely impacts AP holders significantly, so I hope for their sake Disney addresses that soon.

Yep DVC + Premier Passport == NO FP- (Guess TDO considers us double leecher's since we can leech at WDW and DL)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What "announcement" are you folks speaking of?

I don't see them announcing ANYTHING until Pandora opens. They may begin work, but there won't be an announcement. They wouldn't want to do anything to take the attention away from Avatar. Unfortunately, I think DL will get SW way before WDW.

If you ran Disney Parks, and just added a $500+ million expansion, would you want families to decide not to visit WDW because they want to save their money and wait until SW (or whatever) opens? It would be terrible business.

That said, it's Disney so who knows? They don't exactly do things that make a lot of sense most of the time. Also, Pandora may be more of an addition to get people to add a day of AK to their Disney vacations, rather than actually trying to get people to book vacations at WDW who otherwise wouldn't.

But this is what they just did with Fantasyland and Avatar.

PeterAlt

There was a recent blurb on Micechat that briefly mentioned that DLR purchased additional land. Anyone have more information about this acquistion?

orky8

At the core - they are the same. The problem is in the case of Disney.. the fans are often more interested in the 'how' then the actual outcome (see every 'screens suck' thread). In industry, the motivation is to reinvent to do more with less, etc. In the case of Disney, the motivation is the same... 'Take this concept, and do it better..' Same exact thing... The problem is how does one define 'better'...

The compromises TDO allow or use in their refinements are associated with negative connotations in the fan community. Hence, when WDW1974 exposed TDO's use of the term 'value engineering' to describe their process of reworking a concept to be done cheaper.. and we all see the outcome as inferior to the original concept.. in the fan community 'value engineering' becomes synonymous with 'cheapening'. The principles are actually the same - It is the tolerance for what is 'equivalent' is actually what fans are critical of and where TDO's version of value engineering has become a negative term.

Negative by association...

Well you sure as shoot can't define value engineering as getting more bang for your buck. Disney way overspends for what they get, which is why Forbidden Journey costs the same as Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Memaid. The negative connotation associated with value engineering is well earned and shows.

PeterAlt

But this is what they just did with Fantasyland and Avatar.
I think they're working off set budget cycles. Each year, they put a fixed amount that into constructing new attractions that stays the same year after year.

During the Eisner years, the budget was not set and fluctuated with spikes of cash infusions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well you sure as shoot can't define value engineering as getting more bang for your buck. Disney way overspends for what they get, which is why Forbidden Journey costs the same as Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Memaid. The negative connotation associated with value engineering is well earned and shows.

Well what would have been their bang for buck BEFORE they streamlined? It wouldn't be cheaper...

When you mention Mermaid - I think the problem with those attractions is the trend in Disney being fixated on ornate as what defines 'Disney' instead of what got Disney to where they were.

Mike C

Here's some news. This is happening today

817275330.jpg

Hogwarts Express trains are being hoisted up on the track. (from thrillgeek)

Soarin' Over Pgh

Nice!

Does anyone have any idea what statue will be in front of shanghai DL? A brand new one, or a repeat of the other parks?

...as long as its not bob Iger with a magicband on and staring at his cell phone, I'll be ok with it. Was thinking about this earlier. I vaguely recall there's a place marker for the statue in the plans we've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom