Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

You could always watch the film. It's quite good.
Sure but that would mean that I have to care enough. I don't. I enjoyed the ride, not the best they have ever done, but good none the less, without being familiar with the movie. Same thing applied to a lot of attractions like Nemo, 20K, HISTA, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, most of the movies on GMR, Monsters Inc. or Bugs Live.

On the plus side I have seen Song of the South. :happy:

StageFrenzy

When I think of "Value Engineering" I think of taking a pretty decent bare steel coaster already in place, doing your best to make sure nobody can really see it and rename it with a few subtle theme elements added. Then do the same with a true kiddie coaster that is awful, throw in some very cool theme elements on some shops that all sell the exact same stuff over and over (even within a few feet of each other).......and lastly make the one thing EVERYONE wanted to do be a ride system that either scares the dung out of younger kids or induces sickness in many others.

There is also that other land right next door with the ride that makes zero sense when it comes to the movie and nothing else (the coolest thing is the music playing as you go into the "land"......but this is the only company some trust with certain "IPs"......because they have really proven themselves. Hopefully they get it right with Gringotts, DiagonAlley and the Express, but I'm not hopeful.

Of course that is often held up as the right way to do things as long as its done by someone other than Disney. I'll take Carsland as the definition of how to do it right as it is an amazing experience (except the "TIRES" but they get a pass because it pays homage to an original). Once the SDMT opens I think "New Fantasyland " will be right there too with entertainment appealing to all.

For the first two paragraphs I thought you were talking about new FL and MK

Disneyhead'71

When I think of "Value Engineering" I think of taking a pretty decent bare steel coaster already in place, doing your best to make sure nobody can really see it and rename it with a few subtle theme elements added. Then do the same with a true kiddie coaster that is awful, throw in some very cool theme elements on some shops that all sell the exact same stuff over and over (even within a few feet of each other).......and lastly make the one thing EVERYONE wanted to do be a ride system that either scares the dung out of younger kids or induces sickness in many others.

There is also that other land right next door with the ride that makes zero sense when it comes to the movie and nothing else (the coolest thing is the music playing as you go into the "land"......but this is the only company some trust with certain "IPs"......because they have really proven themselves. Hopefully they get it right with Gringotts, DiagonAlley and the Express, but I'm not hopeful.

Of course that is often held up as the right way to do things as long as its done by someone other than Disney. I'll take Carsland as the definition of how to do it right as it is an amazing experience (except the "TIRES" but they get a pass because it pays homage to an original). Once the SDMT opens I think "New Fantasyland " will be right there too with entertainment appealing to all.
Wow, I don't even know where to start.

ParentsOf4

The point is that people on this board who use this term are using it incorrectly.
Within modern manufacturing, value engineering tends to focus on reducing the cost of goods sold while maintaining or even increasing the consumer price of those goods. Value engineering is focused on increasing margins.

As applied to WDW, value engineering refers to Disney management's propensity in recent years to reduce the production cost of their goods by using less expensive and often lower quality material. Abandonment of custom printed napkins for generic brown napkins is an example of recent value engineering. Whether it's food or merchandise, it refers to WDW management's focus on reducing cost by eliminating variety and concentrating on high margin goods. The goal is not to reduce the cost to consumers; they are charged the same no matter how little the items cost to produce. Instead, it's to get WDW's "guests" to pay a premium for the Disney name without actually receiving a premium product.

Old school corporate Disney focused on providing excellent value to its customers. Case studies throughout the 1980s and 1990s often cited Disney as a company of excellence, intent on improving financial performance by providing a superior product, "the Disney difference".

Under Iger, the focus has shifted towards cashing in on the positive corporate image. Especially at WDW, the focus has been on value engineering the product. :greedy:

In recent years, most intellectual resources at WDW have been devoted to identifying ways to squeeze out a few more pennies from their "guests" while Universal has been thinking big and focusing on winning the dollars

Even the $2B invested in NextGen has been more about maximizing return on the existing infrastructure rather than product improvement. NextGen is mostly about repackaging. At the end of the day, NextGen does nothing to increase ride capacity. At the end of the day, it's still the same old WDW. :banghead:

Last edited:

StageFrenzy

When I think of "Value Engineering" I think of taking a pretty decent bare steel coaster already in place, doing your best to make sure nobody can really see it and rename it with a few subtle theme elements added. Then do the same with a true kiddie coaster that is awful, Barnstormer throw in some very cool theme elements on some shops that all sell the exact same stuff over and over (even within a few feet of each other)....... Big Top souvenirs and lastly make the one thing EVERYONE wanted to do be a ride system that either scares the dung out of younger kids or induces sickness in many others. Thought SDMT but wasn't sure.

There is also that other land right next door with the ride that makes zero sense when it comes to the movie and nothing else (the coolest thing is the music playing as you go into the "land"......Little mermaid but this is the only company some trust with certain "IPs" ......because they have really proven themselves. Was very confused because most don't trust Disney. hopefully they get it right with Gringotts, DiagonAlley and the Express, but I'm not hopeful. OHHHHHH you were talking about Universal ahahahahahahahahaha, silly me.

Not sure how......but OK.

lazyboy97o

Sure but that would mean that I have to care enough. I don't. I enjoyed the ride, not the best they have ever done, but good none the less, without being familiar with the movie. Same thing applied to a lot of attractions like Nemo, 20K, HISTA, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, most of the movies on GMR, Monsters Inc. or Bugs Live.

On the plus side I have seen Song of the South. :happy:
I too have seen Song of the South. It's not that great.

Cousin Huet

Wow, I don't even know where to start.

Please try......I'd like to hear someone defend Flight of the Hippogriff, defend the job done with the Dueling Dragons coaster as some kind of Potter theme that makes no sense. I literally found the exact same stuff on both sides of a gift shop (sometimes the same rack) that was the size of a room in my house "Oh, more Jellybeans!" It was initially a pretty cool thing to see the Hogsmeade Village but that faded quickly (that from a huge fan of the books and movies). Then we get to the School.........HUGE expectations on what could be done......scared to death a young lady in the vehicle and made 4 out of the 4 in our group queasy. Should have been more Haunted Mansion and less whatever it was......The picture on the screen was TERRIBLE quality (especially considering the criticism that Soarin takes when it is WAY older and it still looks better than that mess).

I do not get the praise heaped upon this place from so many........Simpsons is a food court that is really awkward (should have tore down and rebuilt. Transformers is a warehouse with a billboard (vinyl sign) on the sides.

Jurassic Park......one ride......it makes no sense.....there is water flowing through there with rafts??? Where are the jeeps? Not one other ride or attraction? The Ultrasaurus doesn't look a machine or anything with that crane neck! The best park was literally walking in the entrance.....the ride had potential as some of the AAs were really cool, but a boat? What?

I have similar issues with our guys at Disney but the praise all goes to Universal and I do not see it. Of course I can't even begin to fathom how someone looks at what all will happen on the SDMT and call it a "kiddie coaster" (see Hippogriff or Barnstormer). SDMT has a whole new ride feature with the swaying, show scenes inside a freaking mountain that in itself is an amazing visual addition to the park and CRAZY cool visuals of the whole place while on outside portions of the track. It is going to be awesome on many levels. Everyone will be able to enjoy it in my opinion. Mermaid is not impressive but it is a cool little dark ride for my daughter and she loves the show with Belle. This area is often bashed for the exact issues that are present in the WWOHP. Carsland out does both areas and Avatar looks to be even better with two very cool attractions and an area that will be an attraction itself with all the new features.

Lets here the defense though....Im curious.

TalkingHead

Please try......I'd like to hear someone defend Flight of the Hippogriff, defend the job done with the Dueling Dragons coaster as some kind of Potter theme that makes no sense. I literally found the exact same stuff on both sides of a gift shop (sometimes the same rack) that was the size of a room in my house "Oh, more Jellybeans!" It was initially a pretty cool thing to see the Hogsmeade Village but that faded quickly (that from a huge fan of the books and movies). Then we get to the School.........HUGE expectations on what could be done......scared to death a young lady in the vehicle and made 4 out of the 4 in our group queasy. Should have been more Haunted Mansion and less whatever it was......The picture on the screen was TERRIBLE quality (especially considering the criticism that Soarin takes when it is WAY older and it still looks better than that mess).

I do not get the praise heaped upon this place from so many........Simpsons is a food court that is really awkward (should have tore down and rebuilt. Transformers is a warehouse with a billboard (vinyl sign) on the sides.

Jurassic Park......one ride......it makes no sense.....there is water flowing through there with rafts??? Where are the jeeps? Not one other ride or attraction? The Ultrasaurus doesn't look a machine or anything with that crane neck! The best park was literally walking in the entrance.....the ride had potential as some of the AAs were really cool, but a boat? What?

I have similar issues with our guys at Disney but the praise all goes to Universal and I do not see it. Of course I can't even begin to fathom how someone looks at what all will happen on the SDMT and call it a "kiddie coaster" (see Hippogriff or Barnstormer). SDMT has a whole new ride feature with the swaying, show scenes inside a freaking mountain that in itself is an amazing visual addition to the park and CRAZY cool visuals of the whole place while on outside portions of the track. It is going to be awesome on many levels. Everyone will be able to enjoy it in my opinion. Mermaid is not impressive but it is a cool little dark ride for my daughter and she loves the show with Belle. This area is often bashed for the exact issues that are present in the WWOHP. Carsland out does both areas and Avatar looks to be even better with two very cool attractions and an area that will be an attraction itself with all the new features.

Here's my defense of Universal...

You're trying way too hard.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I really hope you are just trolling and trying to get a rise out of people and you aren't serious. If you are serious, I apologize in advance for the less than hospitable responses you are about to receive from my fellow forum members.

FYI...I like both Disney and Universal. It is possible:cool:

Cousin Huet

Here's my defense of Universal...

I agree.....they are trying too hard......Hogwarts could have been much less complicated and way more entertaining.

Now, how am I trying too hard......or can you just not counter those points so you take a shot at me?

I've just listened to enough nonsense lately......how is Universal praised when the very criticism that Disney takes LIVES at Universal. Universal did not leave me impressed at all......I liked it, but I when compared to the comments I see here I start to wonder if I went to the wrong place. I do not disagree with some of the criticism with Disney on Show Quality and many other areas but I compare it to what it WAS not what Universal is because I don't think Universal is doing an even worse job.......new attractions??? They needed them for years so they are just filling a DEEP hole right now.

Jwhee

Please try......I'd like to hear someone defend Flight of the Hippogriff,

Ok first of all, Flight of the Hippogriff used to be called the Flying Unicorn, and it had a layover to fit the Harry Potter theme. I know it's not great, but at least they attempted. Not bashing Disney here but this is them with Imagination!. (Person 1) "Hmm, I hate this Figment and Dreamfinder guy lets make a new ride". (Person 2) " Well what about upstairs?" (Person 1) " We'll, it doesn't match the theme, just board it up and act like it was never there." Why couldn't they attempt to re-theme upstairs? Another Example "Hey let's build Soarin in the Land". (Person 2) "Cool! What about Food Rocks?, can we re theme it to match the Soarin theme? Maybe like in the queue we can have an show on the stage?" (Person 1) "NO! BOARD IT UP, NO ONE SHALL SEE IT AGAIN!" Example number 3 is the "Festival Center" why couldn't they make a simulator ride flying you over gardens, or taking you on a wine adventure? They did do good with Season of the Vine though.

Just my thoughts :)

Magenta Panther

I really hope you are just trolling and trying to get a rise out of people and you aren't serious. If you are serious, I apologize in advance for the less than hospitable responses you are about to receive from my fellow forum members.

Indeed.

Cousin Huet

I do too......I enjoy my time at both and know that both have issues and successes, but I just want to hear the people that swoop in with all the little comments (trolling as you say) defend the issues I raised. When I started reading hear it was because there was good information....some good, some bad and some imagined, but all entertaining......now I have to read through a bunch of whining (and over used running jokes) about nonsense. Not to mention the comparison to Universal that has always left me baffled. I had fun there but the delusional idea that they are doing things better I do not see (there are exceptions of course where I prefer Universal).

I doubt anyone attempts to despute the issues though....it will be name calling and snarky comments from the same peanut gallery whose posts I have to sift through to get the information now.

Thanks,

FED UP READER!

TalkingHead

I agree.....they are trying too hard......Hogwarts could have been much less complicated and way more entertaining.

Now, how am I trying too hard......or can you just not counter those points so you take a shot at me?

I've just listened to enough nonsense lately......how is Universal praised when the very criticism that Disney takes LIVES at Universal. Universal did not leave me impressed at all......I liked it, but I when compared to the comments I see here I start to wonder if I went to the wrong place. I do not disagree with some of the criticism with Disney on Show Quality and many other areas but I compare it to what it WAS not what Universal is because I don't think Universal is doing an even worse job.......new attractions??? They needed them for years so they are just filling a DEEP hole right now.

Nope, I stopped taking your kind of complaints seriously years ago. No one who is slightly objective thinks you have a case.

Jurassic Park is a problem because it's a boat ride? I guess you have a problem with Splash Mountain because there's no navigable river with logs in Song of the South.

Funmeister

I do too......I enjoy my time at both and know that both have issues and successes, but I just want to hear the people that swoop in with all the little comments (trolling as you say) defend the issues I raised. When I started reading hear it was because there was good information....some good, some bad and some imagined, but all entertaining......now I have to read through a bunch of whining (and over used running jokes) about nonsense. Not to mention the comparison to Universal that has always left me baffled. I had fun there but the delusional idea that they are doing things better I do not see (there are exceptions of course where I prefer Universal).

I doubt anyone attempts to despute the issues though....it will be name calling and snarky comments from the same peanut gallery whose posts I have to sift through to get the information now.

Thanks,

FED UP READER!

So if I may ask. According to your post you have been here for a while and you are tired of whining and whatever. You only have 18 posts. Why have you not contributed your views until now? What is your other screen name? Amazing how these types of posts pop up randomly when the person who started the thread is away. Hmmmmmm

Cousin Huet

Nope, I stopped taking your kind of complaints seriously years ago. No one who is slightly objective thinks you have a case.

Jurassic Park is a problem because it's a boat ride? I guess you have a problem with Splash Mountain because there's no navigable river with logs in Song of the South.

No, Jurassic Park is problem because that is the ONLY ride and they coud have easily done something with the Jeeps like the movie (its built right in the movie for them). It just doesn't make sense.....to not use that to me. I'm sorry but it is a disappointment that something that easy to get right is done wrong.

You taking the complaints seriously or not does not make them any less valid. You cannot defend what was done with Hippogriff (its trash.....at least Goofy is fun) Dueling Dragons was a good time but when we are talking about these areas and what FIRM does them best then it falls flat as it does not fit.

It is a myth that Universal is doing some kind of amazing things....they are not.

John

Potterland=amazing things......says the number of clicks at the turnstyles....says the amount of money made off of merch.....says the amount of money being spent on expansion.....says what it has done for Uni even allowing them to even to be in this discussion to begin with. Not defending them....just throwing it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom