Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

You are confusing ones moral responsibility vs the legal responsibility Disney has. You may want to educate yourself on dram shop laws and then write your legislators.
No, I think that it is referring to the lip service that has been given to the need for people to take responsibility for themselves and not put the blame on another person, place or thing. Disney may have supplied the ammo, but they didn't supply the gun. No one dragged them into the park and forced them to drink themselves into a drunken fool. That is totally on them personally. It's like saying that "My wife and I were so happy and light headed about our visit to Disney that later that evening we were in the mood to celebrate (if you catch my drift) and now 9 months later our little princess has arrived. I am broke so since it was Disney's fault for creating the ambiance that caused our reaction, I am sending Disney a bill for the upbringing of a child we cannot afford.

Back on topic though, since the "Drink around the World" concept means that you go from place to place the people giving you drinks do not have any idea how much you have already consumed. It's not like your sitting at a bar and tossing them back for hours. If you are not, at that time, showing any serious signs of extreme inebriation, it isn't going to be easy to know until it's too late. Using that argument the mere serving of alcohol is irresponsible.

nor'easter

That
I am well aware of Dram Shop Laws, and honestly, I think its complete BS, as a society we keep inventing out's of our own moral code an obligations to eachother.

"I was too drunk ... and got in my car, crashed and killed a family, but it wasn't my fault for ordering the drink's and getting too drunk, it wasn't my fault for deciding to drive my vehicle the wrong way on the expressway ?!? It was the bartender because they served me the drink's."

Really?!? Come on. For once I wish people would own up to their own f'ing mistakes and stop trying to pass it of on everyone else.
That's ridiculous. Of course the drunk is held liable in that circumstance. But so too is the establishment that knowingly served the drunk and watched him get in his car. It is only in the most egregious circumstances that the establishment is held liable. Like it or not, establishments that profit from sale of alcohol have some legal duties, such as, for example, checking id's.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am well aware of Dram Shop Laws, and honestly, I think its complete BS, as a society we keep inventing out's of our own moral code an obligations to eachother.

"I was too drunk ... and got in my car, crashed and killed a family, but it wasn't my fault for ordering the drink's and getting too drunk, it wasn't my fault for deciding to drive my vehicle the wrong way on the expressway ?!? It was the bartender because they served me the drink's."

Really?!? Come on. For once I wish people would own up to their own mistakes and stop trying to pass it of on everyone else.

The problem with Alcohol is that it suppresses judgement, Now everyone SHOULD know their limit mine is very small but a lot of people succumb to the social pressure of doing what their friends are doing and in so doing go past the point of being able to properly judge. That being said it does not excuse their behavior in getting that drunk it's just that Alcohol is a drug which needs to be used much more carefully than the average adult beverage consumer does,

This of course is reinforced by advertising if you Drink X you will be surrounded by beautiful sexy people and will have a good time. WRONG!!!!

Clever Name

The problem with Alcohol is that it suppresses judgement, Now everyone SHOULD know their limit mine is very small but a lot of people succumb to the social pressure of doing what their friends are doing and in so doing go past the point of being able to properly judge. That being said it does not excuse their behavior in getting that drunk it's just that Alcohol is a drug which needs to be used much more carefully than the average adult beverage consumer does,

This of course is reinforced by advertising if you Drink X you will be surrounded by beautiful sexy people and will have a good time. WRONG!!!!
I live vicariously through myself. Stay thirsty my friends!

71jason

Back to Disney TV news ...

[Once Upon A Time spoilers to follow]

So ... that pretty much went well beyond Xena/Gabrielle "subtext." Last night's episode made it clear OUAT Mulan is a lesbian. A first for a Disney princess, or probably any character based directly on a Disney cartoon, yes?

doctornick

Back to Disney TV news ...

[Once Upon A Time spoilers to follow]

So ... that pretty much went well beyond Xena/Gabrielle "subtext." Last night's episode made it clear OUAT Mulan is a lesbian. A first for a Disney princess, or probably any character based directly on a Disney cartoon, yes?

In an earlier episode, she said to Aurora something like "Don't be mistaken into thinking you are the only one with feelings for Phillip" or something like that (implying that Mulan was in love with Phillip). So, I found the not so subtle implication that it was actually Aurora she was in love with to be a bit of a curve ball.

michmousefan

Would me discussing the photo of the Avatar model with Joe Rohde's absolute look of dismay be considered off-topic?
Seriously? I understand the Avatar-haters have to look for any morsel to snack on, but trying to discern Joe's overall feeling about the project from a single photograph is really stretching it.

Is it a bad photo? Could the Mouse's vast PR department have chosen a better photo (in many ways)? Absolutely. It doesn't even look like they have someone adept at using basic photo filters.

But the D23 Japan video that Joe speaks in should be enough to convince you that he's either A) genuinely geeked about the Avatar work or B) Pretty good at convincing folks that he's geeked about the project.

stevehousse

I think most people need to realize that Caneron is a very serious director and is very serious about his franchises. He is very secretive about his projects, and that's why we haven't seen anything until now, 2 years later, on any Avatar news. We have to remember that when this was announced there was nothing more than bluesky ideas about the project and now they are ready to announce more.

alphac2005

Seriously? I understand the Avatar-haters have to look for any morsel to snack on, but trying to discern Joe's overall feeling about the project from a single photograph is really stretching it.

Is it a bad photo? Could the Mouse's vast PR department have chosen a better photo (in many ways)? Absolutely. It doesn't even look like they have someone adept at using basic photo filters.

But the D23 Japan video that Joe speaks in should be enough to convince you that he's either A) genuinely geeked about the Avatar work or B) Pretty good at convincing folks that he's geeked about the project.

I was told long ago, everybody thinks they're an expert. We see that quite a bit around here. Maybe someone is telepathically channeling his thoughts as well. Ugh.

SirLink

For the record, I am in favor of the Avatar area and look forward to going there "someday".

That being said, I liked how Joe Rhode referred to the Banshees as those giant creatures.

Uh, what are they called again? Uh, uh, those giant creatures......

Go to the 1:35 mark....

Nah he isn't referring to a Banshee though hes referring to the larger Avatar sky animal - Great Leonopteryx - or a Toruk, the thing that is ridden

Captain Neo

Or C) Joe couldn't get approval for anything else at DAK, so he's making the most of what he's been given.

Yep....C.

I dunno. I remember a few years ago someone at a Q&A thing asked him what his dream project would be and he said he would love to work with Peter Jackson on a Middle Earth land. I explicitly remember him saying that he would love to adapt a fully realized fictional world with a rich mythology into a theme park setting. Sounds like he got his wish sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom