Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just don't see how they are going to get a ROI on this project. The franchise is tepid at best in pop cultural minds. And there is little to no merchandising that ties in to crank up guest spending.

It's beautiful, and I'm sure the attractions will be well done. I'm just not sure the demand is there in the franchise to justify the price tag.

You really doubt Disney's ability to merchandise the life out of anything they can get their hands on?

Bairstow

Having spoken with Joe personally, I can guarantee you he is not the most excited about being forced to put Avatar in his park. However, he has actually enjoyed working with James Cameron. Joe would much rather work with James on Avatar than get a smaller project. In the presentation he's excited because it's actually something worth doing... but deep down he's not too happy with Avatar being shoehorned into his park.

What exactly did he say to you?

Clever Name

D.) collecting paycheck prior to spending more time with family
This sounds like the most logical conclusion. I don't think that Cameron or Disney are willing to trust Rohde with a project of this complexity. After all Rohde is directly responsible for the disco yeti fiasco.

Last edited:

doctornick

I just don't see how they are going to get a ROI on this project. The franchise is tepid at best in pop cultural minds. And there is little to no merchandising that ties in to crank up guest spending.

It's beautiful, and I'm sure the attractions will be well done. I'm just not sure the demand is there in the franchise to justify the price tag.

The ROI would be to:

(1) get people to spend full days at DAK, spending more money (even if not on Avatar merch, at least getting food)
(2) get people to spend more days at WDW in general (whether by going to DAK when they otherwise would not or spending a full day at DAK instead of going somewhere else that evening and adding a day)
(3) having something to advertise which might motivate people to check out/visit WDW for a vacation.

#3 doesn't require people to be like "I love Avatar and can't wait to see it in real life because I'm a massive fan". It just needs people to say "that Avatar land looks pretty cool with the rocks and glowing trees, we should go to Disney to check it out".

I'm not saying that this would get a good ROI compared to the money spent -- though it's tough to quantify with theme parks anyway -- but I can see the rationale that any large addition to DAK could help out with increasing revenues by the above factors.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I'm amused by how Disney putting the horse before the cart for once has become unthinkable to a lot of the people on this forum.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Can you stop acting like you know what everyone wants? Just because you don't want it doesn't mean no one does. Get over yourself. Oh and we'll see you on line when the land opens, waiting for the rides like everyone else.

No you will not, I walked out of the movie halfway through wondering why I wasted money and time on it, I am so disgusted with TWDC's downward spiral and now they grab this piece of dreck to save themselves from HP rev 1.0 and 2.0, Story and Show == Entertainment. TWDC is doing neither Story nor Show, Green eyeshade types doing static analysis well Movie X had huge boxoffice so if we build a land for it people will flock to see it never bothering to ask WHY movie X had huge boxoffice.

Weird Al could not even be bothered to mock it except in 'Perform This Way', If it's not worth Weird Al mocking it it has not made an impact on popular culture which is why it will fail, Just like the sequels to the Matrix failed

There is no 'fan fiction' for the Blue Cat People movie, There are huge fan fiction communities for HP, Star Wars, Star Trek and even Indiana Jones.

With NGE and it's baggage I'm selling DVC my points while people are still buying. I've been going for 3 decades but no more - TWDC is an organization which is going to crash the only question is when.

BrianLo

I think Harry Potter (which I love), has sadly misguided the fan community into believing IP is king in the theme park industry. It never used to be this way and Disney built beautiful and engrossing theme parks without it.

Whether or not you feel Avatar is beloved does not really matter. If they use it as a vessel to build a beautiful world with engrossing attractions, it doesn't matter if anyone knows a character. Many great attractions have been "characterless". Fortunately they seem to "get this" with Avatar. It's Pandora land, not Na'vi Land (or blue sex kitten land as people colloquially love to demean it by). Whether or not you love or loathe the story doesn't matter as long as they take this approach (which the artwork indicates they are).

You know what are mediocre IP's? Tower of Terror, Song of the South, Transformers, Cars.... sure I could go on. Yet they were vessels for creativity that surpassed the IP it was based on, or at least something no longer deemed relevant.

Sure the consensus is that no one will be "rushing" to visit a land based on Avatar. No one would be rushing to visit AK Dragon and Unicorn land either (except the Disney fans who know it as the Beastly Kingdom). They are both crap non-existent IP's that may form the basis for a good land, or it could be total crap, but the IP does not matter.

What matters is people see it, and love it for what it is, not what is is based upon. If it turns into something great (like Carsland), 99% of the people complaining will get over the IP and appreciate what it is. The other 1% will just forgo it (proving a point to no one but themselves) and complain about it on a forum for the next decade, because really they have nothing better to do with their lives.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree, though Tower of Terror was based on the Twilight Zone (a certainly NOT crappy IP), and just kind of existed like a "new story" (though itself was a sort of original plot as the old TV series didn't have any Tower of Terror episodes as far as I know). The Tower of Terror movie came well after the ride, it was the ride that inspired the movie there.

And while some people might not enjoy parts of Song of the South, the cartoon parts were always good (the parts that the ride centers around). Also without the old TV show, the Transformers movies wouldn't even exist (never saw the original show but many people seem to have fond memories of it even if they hate the movies).

But yes, IP doesn't matter as long as the end resulting theme park experience is amazing. We'll see if they can deliver on Pandora (I am somewhat hopeful there).

FigmentJedi

You know what are mediocre IP's? Tower of Terror, Song of the South, Transformers, Cars.... sure I could go on. Yet they were vessels for creativity that surpassed the IP it was based on, or at least something no longer deemed relevant.
Since when is the Twilight Zone considered mediocre? I'll give you Transformers considering they're just using the MIchael Bay movies rather then any of the other "Continuity Families" that are better regarded by people.

BrianLo

Since when is the Twilight Zone considered mediocre? I'll give you Transformers considering they're just using the MIchael Bay movies rather then any of the other "Continuity Families" that are better regarded by people.

Sorry, my addendum to that train of thought also included no longer deemed relevant, at least by the same metric that people seem to be judging Avatar. I was also using mediocre as hyperbole, using the same criteria that folks are judging Avatar on (I think none are truly mediocre in the theme park business). They fit into the same category where they are not part of the public conscious that they once were. No one can name a character from Twilight Zone, and apparently that same criteria makes Avatar the worst thing to ever happen to Animal Kingdom (which it is not - that's Chester and Hester).

Bairstow

Sorry, my addendum to that train of thought also included no longer deemed relevant, at least by the same metric that people seem to be judging Avatar. I was also using mediocre as hyperbole, using the same criteria that folks are judging Avatar on (I think none are truly mediocre in the theme park business). They fit into the same category where they are not part of the public conscious that they once were. No one can name a character from Twilight Zone, and apparently that same criteria makes Avatar the worst thing to ever happen to Animal Kingdom (which it is not - that's Chester and Hester).

Probably because The Twilight Zone was an anthology; it never actually had any recurring characters.

Now that I think about it, does the Tower of Terror actually have anything in common at all with the show?
Sure, it has Rod Serling in it (or a reasonable facsimile), uses the music, and has a couple nicknacks that resemble props from the show, but other than that it's really just an original ghost story with little connection to the themes or plots of the series.

BrianLo

Now that I think about it, does the Tower of Terror actually have anything in common at all with the show?
Sure, it has Rod Serling in it (or a reasonable facsimile), uses the music, and has a couple nicknacks that resemble props from the show, but other than that it's really just an original ghost story with little connection to the themes or plots of the series.

Exactly, my point was it was a jumping point to create a great attraction. I think we can agree whether you love or hate Avatar, there is enough material to be a jumping point to create a beautiful land and populate it with things that will wow guests (to use some corporate speak).

That's what matters (as long as they go that direction), not whether your 3- and 30-year-old prays at the alter of Jake Sully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom